PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety: pushes me 'out of my head'

Thinkitso
10-22-2013, 10:55 PM
When I get anxious, I feel like my attention is being forced outward, and I can't really think about things or reflect on my feelings without getting super impatient; all I can do is download apps, watch TV, eat, walk etc. has anyone else experienced this attention reorientation?

Cuchculan
10-23-2013, 04:04 AM
This might be your brain kicking into a form of distraction. Most times when I get anything like this I have to make myself do it. It sounds a lot like taking your mind off of the anxiety and finding something else to do. Kind of like an escape from what is really going on. But distraction is not a bad thing at all. Without it you would have the full force of the anxiety attack. I'm not sure if this is what you want. To actually feel the effects of the attack and try and make sense of them. I think most people would take the option of the distraction. Your mind is not letting you think about the anxiety. Kind of like it is kicking you into doing other things.

Thinkitso
10-23-2013, 05:11 AM
This might be your brain kicking into a form of distraction. Most times when I get anything like this I have to make myself do it. It sounds a lot like taking your mind off of the anxiety and finding something else to do. Kind of like an escape from what is really going on. But distraction is not a bad thing at all. Without it you would have the full force of the anxiety attack. I'm not sure if this is what you want. To actually feel the effects of the attack and try and make sense of them. I think most people would take the option of the distraction. Your mind is not letting you think about the anxiety. Kind of like it is kicking you into doing other things.

That's interesting I'll consider that. So that would mean I'm trying to avoid the problem?

meichmann
10-23-2013, 06:24 AM
I wouldn't say you're trying to avoid the problem. It's just your body's way of taking the attention away from it. I agree that it sounds like your brain is trying to distract you. If you fixate on the attack it will usually get worse, so a lot of professionals say to do things to keep you occupied so you don't fixate.

People have different methods of getting through an attack. some people distract themselves, some just go limp and breathe deep, some people actually detach from themselves. Try and see which method works best for you.