PDA

View Full Version : Bad day - could use supprt

ldts3012
10-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Hi all, been suffering with generalized anxiety disorder. Had a stressful day at work today. I made a mistake on something and it's totally fixable - no big deal - coworkers were supportive and told me not to worry about it. But, I'm so hard on myself and unforgiving of myself and I just feel awful. Why can't I just believe my coworkers and not worry? I should know better but this is one of my biggest hang ups with my anxiety. Looking for advice / support - thanks!

Over Analyzer
10-22-2013, 05:46 PM
I am an HR Director that has GAD. I totally identify with you. I strive so far for perfection that I obsess on little meaningless mistakes. It is rough and I often get to where even I seek constant reassurance from my supervisor. I feel awesome in respect that my supervisor supports me and knows I suffer from anxiety. I have sought counseling recently, because of self-monitoring and seeing something is wrong. Thus my post. I new I had anxiety, but just got diagnosed that it was GAD.

Over Analyzer
10-22-2013, 05:48 PM
To me you are fine our anxiety often plays things out 1000 times worse then things actually are.

ldts3012
10-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Dear Over Analyzer, thanks so much for your reply! It's great that you have a supportive supervisor. I do too and that helps. My coworkers at my current job are wonderful. I used to work at a place that was really horrible and if a mistake was made, my supervisor there would come down on me really hard. It got to the point where I had to take a few weeks leave because I was such a nervous wreck and made more mistakes even thought I tried hard not to. It was awful. But I'm blessed to be in my current job. Still, I have issues with confidence at times and need reassurance that I'm doing ok and have done a good job. It's so hard being a perfectionist! I read a lot of self help materials to help me separate the overblown irrational thoughts from the anxiety.

andy1990
10-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Stay strong.

With each others help we can get through this