PDA

View Full Version : Silly Anxiety Story...

NeverToo...Fear
10-21-2013, 04:51 PM
So yesterday, my Dad and I were driving in his truck on a long drive back home. I'm trying to read on my tablet when all of a sudden, I hear this really loud ringing in my ears. It was so loud I started majorly freaking out. I looked to my Dad who glanced at me sideways and looked at me kinda funny. I thought that maybe he was whistling or something, but it didn't look like it. So I really started panicking, so much the world was fuzzing out as I was grabbing my head and yelling, "Do you hear that?! That ringing!!"

Increasingly concerned, my Dad looks at me and asks, "What ringing?"

Then it stops....

The next thing I hear is my dad laughing, cause he was the one whistling all along...You know how a ventriloquist can talk without moving their lips? Well, that's what my Dad was doing with whistling. It really didn't look like he was whistling, lol.

I suddenly started crying, having a mild panic attack and hating how stupid my anxiety made me think I was fixing to die a dramatically spectacular death.....Batty is an addict for dramatics, I tell ya........

My dad said he didn't know that would freak me out or he would've never done it......The rest of my family later hears the retelling of the story and they all get a good laugh...hah... I mean after it's over, I could laugh too....Silly me. The bad news is that afterwards, for a few hours, my nerves felt fried--like anything would set me off, like I was that stupid hair trigger...(fortunately I'm much better now...hah, until the next time Batty get's all creative on me and throws another surprise freak out party...)

But anyways, I though I'd share my lil' story here, cause even though in the thick of it, it's scary as hell, but afterwards, nothing like a good laugh to make things better...

Anyone else have some anxiety stories that are triggered by something so silly and innocent? To where afterwards, the story just sounds so darn funny, you can't help but laugh at yourself?

mikecole114
10-21-2013, 05:24 PM
So yesterday, my Dad and I were driving in his truck on a long drive back home. I'm trying to read on my tablet when all of a sudden, I hear this really loud ringing in my ears. It was so loud I started majorly freaking out. I looked to my Dad who glanced at me sideways and looked at me kinda funny. I thought that maybe he was whistling or something, but it didn't look like it. So I really started panicking, so much the world was fuzzing out as I was grabbing my head and yelling, "Do you hear that?! That ringing!!" Increasingly concerned, my Dad looks at me and asks, "What ringing?" Then it stops.... The next thing I hear is my dad laughing, cause he was the one whistling all along...You know how a ventriloquist can talk without moving their lips? Well, that's what my Dad was doing with whistling. It really didn't look like he was whistling, lol. I suddenly started crying, having a mild panic attack and hating how stupid my anxiety made me think I was fixing to die a dramatically spectacular death.....Batty is an addict for dramatics, I tell ya........ My dad said he didn't know that would freak me out or he would've never done it......The rest of my family later hears the retelling of the story and they all get a good laugh...hah... I mean after it's over, I could laugh too....Silly me. The bad news is that afterwards, for a few hours, my nerves felt fried--like anything would set me off, like I was that stupid hair trigger...(fortunately I'm much better now...hah, until the next time Batty get's all creative on me and throws another surprise freak out party...) But anyways, I though I'd share my lil' story here, cause even though in the thick of it, it's scary as hell, but afterwards, nothing like a good laugh to make things better... Anyone else have some anxiety stories that are triggered by something so silly and innocent? To where afterwards, the story just sounds so darn funny, you can't help but laugh at yourself?

Don't think it's stupid coz it's not the more u hate it the more u will feel worse about it. Obviously he didn't expect that reaction but it's stupid. I have found myself to panic for stupid reasons such as being in a busy shop or having hot feet or if I have some technology that just won't do what it's Spose to. Anyone eles feel this?

Perses
10-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Story One: I buy a bike to get to campus. Haven't been on a bike for years, but did go into a park near my apartment to practice. All in good shape. Got the basket with the books and the super-duper kryptonite locks. Head out to campus; it's about 10 minutes by bike. First time on the streets. Now, this is a campus neighborhood, residential, not much traffic. It's a bit busy because school is getting out, but I get to campus, get off my bike. Pull out my book bag and my locks, and suddenly my mind starts yelling at me: Are you crazy? You just biked up the street in the wrong direction, against traffic? You disobeyed the law. You could have been arrested. You could have been killed. I can't believe you just did that. So, the rational part of me replies: Look, I know that I biked 5 blocks going the wrong way on a one way street, but every student does that. And, really, there was no traffic. And, anyway, I survived. I need to lock up my bike and get to class. But the irrational part refuses to give in. I just keep hearing: You went the wrong way. You went the wrong way. My mind clouds over and smack. Down I fall on top of my bike and bang my head against my cool kryptonite locks. Yup, I faint. Cuz, the next thing I hear is "Are you ok"? Should we call an ambulance? Do you need some water? All these fellow students are staring at me. I slowly get up, have a drink of water, and reassure the crowd. Then I head off to class.

So that's my funny anxiety story... and I still have those awesome bike locks.

sweetypie
10-21-2013, 05:35 PM
I don't think your story is stupid or silly or anything first of all. I just think when you have anxiety and phobias, things trigger you that seem like nothing to everyone else.

For instance, when I was 12, I had a literal phobia of aliens. To the point where even pictures of them made me flip out. (Now, I'm the exact opposite and think aliens are cool, but that's a different story.) I remember once watching a show for kids at my church where the guy speaking blew up some balloons and made an alien balloon animal. I literally ran out of the church because it scared me so much!

A more recent example is me any time I go to a barbecue or a catered event. I always ask what the ingredients are in food because I have a fear of trying new foods. I think that I'll have an allergic reaction to them and die. And sometimes they refuse to tell me and I go,"But it looks kind of like something I've eaten before, I'll just try it." But I always wind up thinking that I am dying anyway and having a panic attack which convinces me that I'm not breathing because my throat is swelling. Most people love trying new foods. For me, it can be a nightmare.

tailspin
10-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Really sorry you had a panic attack, Crista!!! But very glad you were able to laugh about it later. I definitely know what you mean about looking back afterwards and realizing that your panicked reaction was way, way out of proportion to the actual trigger. But when your body starts going into full freak out mode over something, it's soooo very difficult to apply any kind of rational thought!! It really is the strangest thing to have these very extreme reactions, even when a part of us knows there is no need for them!!

Anyway, bad Batty!!!!!!! LOL! I forgot you named your anxiety that. It's a cute thing to do!! :) And laughing about it definitely does help!

NeverToo...Fear
10-22-2013, 08:53 AM
@mikecole114

Thanks..yeah, obviously he wasn't expecting that reaction, lol...and yeah, other weird freak triggers; there's also been a time that I'll freak out when reading things on wiki or watching youtube, thinking I'll die before I finish reading or watching--just a crazy flutter of a thought...hah, now if that's not messed up, I don't know what is, lol.

@Perses

LOL ! That's pretty funny, even though I'd be scared as hell about actually fainting.....God, I know about that irrational part of the brain that simply refuses to let go..grrrr.. Thanks for the story share ...... :)

@Sweetypie

Thanks....... I was really feeling rather silly about the whole thing, but you're right; things trigger us that seem normal to other people who don't have anxiety.

I can totally understand the nightmare of trying new foods...the other day I was making myself sick because I was scared to try pickled eggs or some new flavor of tea cause I'd never eaten or drank it before...and it's worse like the situation you described, like at a catered event or BBQ--I won't even dare eat, so you're more daring than me !....but that really sucks what our mind do to us.

@Tailspin

Thank you, Joanna! :)

LOL, he's totally bad....I tried to lock him in a cage, but that little bugger is a Houdini and he keeps busting out.

Perses
10-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Dear Never,

Admittedly, I've more often felt like I was coming close to feeling faint, than actually fainting. And, knowing that I could faint makes me all the more edgy. However, ironically enough, the times I have fainted are actually great when I wake up. First, I'm totally dependent on the kindness of strangers, who always miraculously appear. Sure it's embarrassing, but it's also so sweet to see how people reach out to help. Second, it's liberating to know that you can survive a really embarrassing incident, where you are totally vulnerable. I guess it's like all masks are down. You are just in the moment, staring around. Your irrational fixation is gone when you awake, and your rational mind looks around and has this moment of serenity: Oh, wow! People are so nice. That water is so delicious. Isn't the ivy on the brick buildings beautiful. Oh, there's a bird chirping somewhere. Ha! Isn't that interesting. One minute I was up and now I'm down here with my super duper kryptonite locks. Oh, and no one stole my bike. Life is wonderful." Third, it makes for a great story because it's so hysterical that rather than fainting as I'm actually in danger going down the wrong way, I faint after everything is ok. That's the fascinating part.

Here's another funny fainting story which I am repeating from a previous post

I took my cat to the vet, which I have done numerous times without incident. The vet says to me; your cat is fine but she should have her teeth cleaned. In order to clean her teeth we will need to sedate her. Do you want this procedure? I say "Yes, ok." He draws blood from the cat.

Suddenly, in a kind of delayed reaction, I start to worry about the cost. Gosh! How much will this cost me? I am a student; I don't have a lot of money. I should have asked him how much it cost before he drew the blood? So, I ask the vet, somewhat embarrassed, "How much will this cost"? I'm expecting to hear $1,000 dollars. The Vet says, "Oh about $120. $120 That's completely affordable for me. Problem solved: I have asked the vet how much it will cost to clean my cat's teeth under general anesthesia. The answer the vet gave me was a low cost operation, well worth getting. My rational brain gets this.

But, the anxiety has been triggered. And my irrational brain remains fixated on the fact that I DIDN'T ASK THE VET IMMEDIATELY HOW MUCH THE PROCEDURE WOULD COST. It repeats this over and over: YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED HOW MUCH THE OPERATION WOULD COST!! WHAT IF YOU COULDN'T PAY FOR IT? HOW COULD YOU GET YOURSELF TRAPPED? WHY DIDN'T YOU ASK? YOU WOULDN'T HAVE AFFORDED IT, AND THEY WOULD HAVE TAKEN YOUR CAT AWAY FROM YOU!!! HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID? WOULD YOU HAVE BOUGHT A CAR WITHOUT ASKING THE PRICE? WOULD YOU HAVE BOUGHT A HOUSE WITHOUT ASKING THE PRICE FIRST? WHAT IF YOU WENT BANKRUPT? These thoughts flew around and around in my head, even as at the same time I thanked the vet and said I would make the appointment.

I walked out to the waiting room with my cat safely housed in her carrier. My body is going through the motions. But, my irrational mind is so fixated on the minor fact of having not asked the cost of the procedure. It is so galvanized by this problem. (A problem already solved: I know the cost; it's just $120). Still, my mind, as I said, is trapped, fixated. My heart rate shoots up. My stomach drops. My heart beats frenetically. And, worst of all, my head begins to close in on itself. The tingling sensation in my brain grows and grows until my brain feels numb and a foggy mesh descends across my eyes so that I can't focus on anything. Having experienced this before, and knowing I'm at risk for fainting. I do three things: I tell the receptionist that I think I'm going to faint. I quickly sit down on a bench and move my cat away from me. And, I start repeating to myself: I'm not going to faint; I am not going to faint. I'm not going to faint. No, really, this will pass, I will not faint.

I faint.

I don't realize it's happened until I hear voices, distant at first. My first thought is: "Damn, why are there so many voices in my bedroom? Strange people are talking about me as if I'm not there. Hmm. Who needs an ambulance? How are they going to get an ambulance in my bedroom. Really, I need to sleep and people are bothering me and talking about ambulances!"

Apparently, in the middle of the waiting room, I collapsed and fell down thunk on the wooden bench. I was out for about a minute. When I could sit up I asked for water and was also given some banana bread. People asked me what happened. I told them it must have been low blood sugar. I was too embarrassed to tell complete strangers that I had a panic attack. How to explain how my mind operated, that I panicked over something that I had already solved. It's terrible to have to conceal one's anxiety. It's so much easier to just say, "Oh I guess I was dehydrated," or "I guess my blood sugar went low."

So, when I arrive home. I call my sister and tell her what happened. She posts on facebook: My sister took her cat to the vet. The cat's ok, but my sister fainted. And, if you are going to faint, the vet's office is probably the second best place to keel over.

And I can only imagine what my cat must have been thinking: Oh! Jeez! Attention grabber. Who is the one that just got poked and prodded? Who is the one that had to get her blood drawn?

mhillqt
10-22-2013, 10:15 AM
I faint with panic ..very rare but it's happened to me over 40x and I wake up drenched in sweat , shaking profusely and sometime puking w diarrhea ...not fun!

NeverToo...Fear
10-22-2013, 01:02 PM
@Perses

I've never fainted before (although many times coming close..so I'm wondering if that experience of feeling better afterwards happens..not that I'm going to try and faint on purpose! It's such a scary thought to me, but I loved the fact that the kindness and sympathy of strangers were there to your aid..that's nice.. :)

And thanks for another funny story..I'm glad you repeated it, because it's quite the read, LOL...yes, I did chuckle out loud--the irrational part is SO loud, isn't? It just demands to be heard and won't stop even after everything is all peachy fine. Unfortunately in this case, it didn't stop 'till you fainted....but at least you felt better afterwards...... :) And yeah, I wouldn't feel comfortable either telling the kind strangers that anxiety was the reason behind the dramatics...

Ha, ha! ..I can just picture your cat sitting there at the vet, all alone, ignored in it's little carrier, rolling his/her eyes as the crowd is swarming you with attention..

Thanks again for sharing ! ........ :)