PDA

View Full Version : Am I suffering from anxiety or something different?

DavidLarry
10-18-2013, 06:52 AM
For as long as I can remember I have always suffered from fatigue as well as other problems. I have from time to time had period of self doubt and I guess mild depression from it.

This summer for the first time I went to the doctor to try and find out what was up. They did all the standard tests (diabetes, thyroid, liver etc) and found nothing.

So I decided to go it alone and try and sort it. I made some discoveries.

1) The quality of sleep was affecting me, causing tiredness. Heavy alcohol sent my mind into a spin and left me tired for days.

2) Exercise helped clear my mind a little and reduce some of the brain fog I had

But having spent 6 weeks living the cleanest of lifestyles I have found that the negative thoughts and my racing mind haven't been cured.

I seem unable to concentrate. Let me give you some examples.

1) Everytime i sit down to eat now I say to myself "i'm going to slow down, i can't keep eating so fast" then before I know the plate is empty! My mind just drifted away.

2) I can be reading a book and then suddenly turn the page and realise for the last 5 minutes I completely zoned out and have no recollection of what I just read.

3) I can be sitting down facing someone and having a conversation and before I know it i've spent the last minute just staring at them and thinking of what i was going to have for dinner, before having to rudely tell them to repeat themselves.

Is there anything I can do about this? I've been doing deep breathing, but any other advice?

alankay
10-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Would you say the dominant emotion is sadness/despair/poor cenentration/inability to concentrate or distress/fear/worry/anxiety? It does sound like depression and related symptoms to me. Alankay

tailspin
10-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Hi David, Welcome to the site! I agree with Alankay, what you describe does sound more like mild depression (though there are many overlaps between depression and anxiety). What other symptoms do you have? You mention negative thoughts and racing thoughts? Do these thoughts revolve around anything in particular?

sweetypie
10-18-2013, 12:59 PM
When you have trouble concentrating, is it because you are super worried? Because that happens to me all the time. Even watching TV, I can watch 30 minutes of something and realize I actually saw none of it because I was panicking inside my head.

Or do you just have difficulty concentrating period and you're not thinking about depressing and disturbing things during it? Because that could be a form of ADD, although you don't seem hyperactive. I just know it can be really difficult to concentrate with that.