PDA

View Full Version : PULSATING IN HEAD,STOMACH AND FEET

mkor4
12-20-2007, 08:22 AM
hello
I dont have the normal anxiety of fast heartbeat,hyperventilating,panicky thoughts,tension,worrying over bodily sensations,worrying going to die etc nor have i responded to any antianxiety medication but i joined this forum to ask if anybody had pulsating in their stomach,head,feet or any other area and more importantly if anyone had found anything that made this stop.
I have these strong pulsating 100's of times a day and night and they are accompanied by strange uncontrollable rages and other sensations.
Has anyone on this forum had pulsating(NOT palpitations) and found anything that stopped it.
Thankyou

conciliary
12-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Im not sure what you mean by pulsating, but during times when my anxiety kicks in, I get a "throbing" feeling in my sternum, just under my ribs and just below my breatbone. Its the kind of throbbing feeling you might get if you hit your thumb with a hammer or something, however with no pain at all. It is more of just a nuisance. It lasts for 15 mins or so then goes away and come back a few mins later.

The Melody of Rain
12-20-2007, 06:27 PM
God am I glad you made this post. Yes.

This first became apparent when I was thirteen. I was sitting on the floor reading a book with my legs folded one on top of the other and I noticed that my hands were ever so slightly moving back and forward, as if I was pushing and pulling the book away from me. Naturally this was deeply disturbing, and concerned I examined further. I found that this 'bobbing' was in fact a 'throbbing' or a pulse that resonated throughout my entire body, most notable within my abdominal region. I also found that if I were to sit upright in a chair and cross one leg over the other, the top most leg would bob up and down of its own accord.

Even now, as I lye on my bed with my laptop on my stomach (cushion underneath of course) its moving up and down with the throbbing of my stomach.

I put off going to the doctor for years because I was depressed and anxious and didn't want to appear like a hypochondriac (which is ridiculous in retrospect) but about a month ago I made an appointment in an attempt to get to the bottom of it and would you believe, the doctor just shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know what it was. I asked if he thought it could be something to do with stress and he said 'probably'. I have yet to seek a second opinion as I'm a full time college student and not eligible for grants/benefits but indeed its the festive season and I have some money due shortly so in the new year I'll attend to that. I'll post back and let you know how it goes.

If I were to venture a guess...I'd imagine its stress. Although I consider myself largely recovered, I'm at a stage now where I'm placing myself in as many 'uncomfortable' situations (although there aren't many remaining) as I can and in those few where I do find myself slightly self concious or over analysing, I find the throbbing is definitely much worse.

My apologies should this read sloppy, but I haven't been sleeping very well this week and I don't feel very lucid. Groggy. Mlehh.

mkor4
12-22-2007, 04:47 AM
Hi concillary-im not sure it thats the same-it might be-its hard to tell-
To themelody of rain-for me it is exactly how you described-about your laptop moving up and down with the pulsation of your stomach aorta.
With me this isnt related to stress,or any situation or place etc-i have hundreds of times every day and night episodes of pulsating in my stomach,head,feet,sometimes throat,sometimes back,sometimes in my hand etc along with a whole lot of other symptoms.this is happening during the day and during the night when im trying to sleep and it wakes me up many times and i havn't found anything to make this stop.

bedhead
12-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi Melody

This may appear like a silly question but could it be that you're just aware of your pulse/heartbeat. For years i've felt my pulse in my head, stomach, hands etc, i think some people are just very sensitive to what is happening in their body, its certainly something that i don't worry about as it has always been there. I asked a doctor about it some years ago and although I can't remember his exact wording he basically said that it is something to do with your sympathetic nervous system etc and that some people are just more aware of body sensations than others.

I hope this may help.

Mel

jane99
12-29-2007, 01:06 PM
I think lots of times people think that if something is caused by stress it isn't real. It still exists. I do agree with bedhead in reference to certain people's level of sensitivity. Some of us just are. Still that doesn't make this issue of yours any less annoying. Have you studied meditation? People often believe that meditation means trying to think about nothing. That is not the case. You focus on something (meditate on it) to let go of the rest. For example, you stare into the flames of a fire. Most people I have know sort of go into a trance when they are looking into a fire. I believe it grabs something deep inside of them - their nature. When i began the practice of meditation I would use a candle (be sure it will be cool if you fall asleep :). As i looked into the candle i would just keep working on thinking of nothing but my breathing. Every time a thought would come into my head about anything else - or any sensation i was having in my body - i would just keep looking at the candle and think about only my breathing - nothing else. Maybe you could try? peace & love,,,,,,,jane

mkor4
12-29-2007, 07:47 PM
For me its not stress related or by having a heightened level of sensitivity of normal sensations in the body.
I liken it to a person suffering a headache isnt having a heightened level of awareness-ie:its not that everyone is having a headache but that that person feels it/picks up on it because of their sensitivity.That is the way it is for me-not a normal sensation-i have extremely strong pulsating in my toes and sometimes numb feet during/after the episodes or uncontrollable rage outbursts.Everything also literally changes in appearance-atmosphere becomes lighter,darker etc and the sounds become more louder with every episode and its stays like that.I get a pressure feeling around the sides of my head and a weird feeling in my feet-almost like some "energy" thing is going into them-i know it sounds strange.My pet scan shows hypometabolism of left and right temporal lobes and emg showed mild sensory neuropathy.
Also above acceptable arsenic levels and mycoplasma fermentans but doctors said it wouldnt cause these symptoms.
Thanks jane-i tried meditation a few years ago-it didnt work for this but im sure it would be really good for anxiety.
The only answers that ive seen on the internet about pulsating are a persons oversensitive to normal sensations(i never feel my heart,breathing etc),a persons skinny or they have an abdominal aorta aneurysm and none of these apply to me.
Does anyone else have any more information about this?
Thankyou

mkor4
01-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Anyone else?

desiderata
01-15-2008, 04:27 AM
in the first post you said its accompainied by rages and other things...ddo u mean rage as in anger?

mkor4
01-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Yes-Extreme irrational out of control anger without any reason/provocation and then afterwards huge pulsating in my head,stomach and feet.