PDA

View Full Version : Someone please talk with me!!

Blessed
10-09-2013, 06:11 PM
I know I have asked this many times before, but how can I reassure myself that I am not going to have a heart attack. This consumes my every waking thought and it's really taking a tole. I have weaned off my low dose beta blockers, and I think the thoughts of that have me tense. I am consumed by checking my heart rate every five minutes no exaggerating. I am not on any blood pressure meds at the moment just Prozac and Ativan. I suppose I do have prehypertension but I am trying to exercise. I am overweight by probably 60 pounds. My heart feels flighty sometimes and my heart rate gets up when I move around. I'm so paranoid that I cannot live a normal life. I have had several heart tests EKGS ECGs stress treadmill and three week heart monitor, my cardiologist says everything is fine but I'm scared he's missed something. I am so terrified right now!!!!!

Blessed
10-09-2013, 06:20 PM
I mean I can't determine my chest pain from indigestion which I struggle with. And reading online about all these young women and weird symptoms they have right before a heart attack and that freaks me out !

newzie
10-09-2013, 06:21 PM
All I can say is relax. You've said you have been here before, what happened those times? Nothing I am guessing. If you are in a panic attack right now, just remember to breathe. Let the attack come and pass like a fleeting thought or the wind.

Blessed
10-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Also I had most of these tests done two years ago should I ask to have them done again, I fear that my cardiologist already suspects me to be an anxious person ! I'm just at my wits end.

newzie
10-09-2013, 06:24 PM
If you got it done and the test came back clean, would you feel relief? Or would you question the results?

If it would relieve you, go for it; if you are going to dismiss the results and think the doctor missed something, maybe it isn't worth the trouble.

Blessed
10-09-2013, 06:27 PM
I don't think I would fully believe him, I would for a few weeks then back to same ole worrying and paranoia

sweetypie
10-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Do you have anyone in person who can give you a hug? I always go for hugs from people I am close to when I am freaking out. They can help.

Also, do you pray or anything? I do that, too, when I am super scared. It makes me feel like I have a little more control over things.

And I suggest when you are in full blown panic, you do something physical to distract yourself. Because, for me, usually I'm too far gone to do something mental and actually concentrate on it. Like, you can exercise like you mentioned or clean things vigorously.

Your mind is on constant alert because you believe that if you are constantly aware of the possibility of getting a heart attack that you could somehow prevent it from happening. But the truth is, being constantly alert only stresses you out and doesn't actually protect you from anything.