PDA

View Full Version : Upping dose of Lexapro increases benefits?

Inanna
12-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I've suffered with chronic anxiety my entire life, and have lived with agoraphobia for about five years now. I have lost most of my teen years to the anxiety, and the depression, and am suspected bipolar, or psychotic depressive. Most definitely chronic depressive, although I really feel like so much of it is stress and hating my life. But then by the same token, I sometimes remember how I used to feel about my day and I see that the way I feel now is 1000% worse.

I refused meds for a very long time but was ultimately forced by my father and GP to take Lexapro, about 7 weeks ago. I'm on 10mgs.

I am really happy that I took them, they have really taken off the edge and I find myself *wanting* to be free of the anxiety, truly wanting, for the first time in years. I am much less vindictive and cruel, and so much more stable. The only downside I guess is that I'm addicted to diet coke as in the early days I needed a kick to stay awake, and I'm unable to orgasm. This is OK with me.

I will talk to my GP about it, I'll have to ring him or get someone else to do it for me - baby steps - but do you think that upping the dose increases the benefits? If I upped it by 5 or 10mg, do you think I'd find myself having even less anxiety?

Inanna :)

Job_314
12-26-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm currently taking 25mgs daily, and I've noticed a difference from when I was only taking 10mgs. The thing is, it takes about 2 weeks to fully kick in when you up your dosage on SRI's (anti-depressants). So, after you've upped your dosage... you'll have already made 2 more weeks worh of progress than from back when you wanted them upped.

But yes, it helped me :)

imported_admin
01-02-2008, 06:11 AM
After about a year on 10MG of Lexapro (for anxiety), I found that is was becoming less affective. My GP upped the dose to 20MG...I took this for a month but it didnt really help. He has no put me onto Zoloft. I guess these meds work differently for different people...but lexapro has been a life saver for me.

isis2383
01-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Im currently on lexapro but only 2.5 mg and only on day 11 of taking it. For some reason I am really sensitive to the stuff and get wicked side effects. I hope they diminish soon because my pdoc wants me to increase the dose to 5mg and then go from there. Will I experience a period of side effects all over again once I increase? Anyways sorry for the hijack. I would definitley bring this up to your doctor and I wish you the best. Im glad to hear things are looking up for you!