PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new here. Hypochondriac anxiety is taking over my life.

Skettihead
10-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Hello everybody! I am sorry if this is a little long, but I could really use people who knew what I have been going through. So thanks in advance for reading and any support/insight that you can give.

Okay some background on me. I'm 24 years old, non smoker, essentially in good health besides being extremely overweight. I have been on and off with the eating healthy and working out. I lost about 40 lbs between April and June and at that time, life was golden in the anxiety department. Due to some stuff going on I kind of loss my way and motivation and got sucked back into being lazy and eating poorly. And in creeps the anxiety. Then, my 33 year old cousin died of a heart attack in August. She was very heavy (about 100 lbs more than myself). Of course it was really sad and a pretty bad eye opener for me. I've had other people I knew pass away and I was sad but never anyone this close. What made it worse is that she died from the exact thing I'm terrified of happening to me. My anxiety has sky rocketed since then.

Since she passed I have been to the ER twice, assuming I was having a heart attack. I'll be honest, I never had the whole crushing chest thing or even a really elevated heart rate (more like 80-90) during my episodes. So I feel really irrational now. But I took the first sign of a sore left arm or chest discomfort and ran with it. And honestly, the chest is almost always just butterflies from anxiety! Both trips to the ER (plus the ones before that) the EKG, Bloodwork, Heart monitor, Chest Xray all that came back fine. Only thing was slightly elevated blood pressure and even that was in normal range. I have been better at talking myself out of an anxiety attack, but lately it's gotten bad again. I had hot dogs for dinner a few nights ago, and it turned into a horrible acid reflux episode which I'm now wondering if it was really a gallbladder attack. I dry heaved all night and had clenching in my stomach and pressure in my chest like behind my heart and I had to keep burping. It was horrible, and I even thought I was having a heart attack but my fiance calmed me down.

Yesterday was my worse anxiety attack to date. When I woke up, I was still feeling sick from the other night. I have an unsettled feeling in my stomach and still a little pressure in my chest like air is stuck in there. One thing led to another and it completely spun out of control. I was shaking so bad and felt entirely too weak for comfort. Even my legs felt like they could barely walk! So this is ONE time that google actually helped me (yeah, I'm bad with google, and it almost always makes me feel worse) I didn't even put anxiety, but found out my legs could feel weak from anxiety, from not eating enough/drinking enough, and not breathing properly. So I quickly ate some oatmeal, had some chamomille tea, and did the 7 second breathing for about 20 minutes and felt so much better. Still, I'm not convinced this was all anxiety related because I still have air discomfort in my chest (but I continue to burp and it feels better) and I've had a few other concerning things pop up. I have a slight pressure in my left side of the head. Right above the ear and a little towards the face. A hot water bottle behind my neck seems to help it. I've lost 4 lbs in the past 36 hours although I've been trying to drink a lot at least. And I am still getting some slight discomfort in the stomach... and just feel off. Like disconnected? I don't know.

Has anyone ever experienced the headache/pressure on one side of the head and was it due to anxiety? The only other thing I could tribute it to would be stress. Oh and the one thing that has me very concerned is my pulse. I need to stop checking it, I never used to until recently. The thing that has me concerned is I don't really remember when I started taking my pulse, but when I did it was kind of strong. Like I had no problem counting it and feeling it in my wrist. Now, the past 2 days it's been weak. The actual beats are even and in a good range for resting (60-70) but it feels weak in my wrist. Is this something that I am just freaking out for over nothing? I did take real aspirin the past 3 days *just in case* so maybe since it's a blood thinner the pulse won't be as strong? I hate living like this. I feel like a crazy person! I taught my 4 year old how to dial 911. I hold on to the glass jar on the sink in the bathroom when I go so that if I pass out, I'll knock it off and wake someone up or alert someone that something is wrong and I leave the door unlocked. Every time I get up I'm afraid I'm going to just go lights out. (My cousin grabbed her head and loss consciousness and that was it, so that is probably where that stems from) None of this is rational behavior. I even had my mother on standby to take me to the hospital yesterday. I know that's bad for me, because I usually leave her out of all of my anxiety issues. She is somebody who does not understand that it is a real problem and seems to think it's just in my head or an attention thing I think. I want to start working out again because I feel like it will really help my anxiety. But now I am worried about bringing on a heart attack by raising my heart rate with exercise. I just want to go back to living a normal life!

sweetypie
10-08-2013, 01:47 PM
People who say "It's just in your head" have no idea how powerful our minds are! Our minds are so powerful that they can even make us physically feel sick. They can torture us and terrify us against our will.

I am also overweight and I also have a fiance.

While I do not struggle with health anxiety right now for the most part (except a fear that I'm allergic and going to die from eating everything new that I try), I definitely suffered from it severely in the past.

I think you're just having acid reflux and that's what's making you burp and stuff so much. It's not all anxiety, it's partly that as well, I think. I get acid reflux problems almost every day.

I want to tell you that the pulse thing is completely normal. My pulse is ALWAYS hard to find. Even nurses have had trouble finding it before. It has nothing to do with how weak or strong your heartbeat is, I promise.

I've also had various headaches all over different parts of my head and face due to stress. Headaches still kind of scare me, too, sometimes. I think that's the worst part of having a headache.

I think whenever you lose someone you are close to, at least for awhile, you're scared of other people dying that way. Two years ago, my house burned down and my fiance's Mom, who I was living with and who was a second Mom to me, died in the fire. My fiance and I had left the house to go hang out with friends and then an hour later rushed home because our house was burning down, only to find her dead. For a year after that, I would get hysterical leaving people at home and not taking them with me. I got scared that somehow she died because we didn't bring her with us. So whenever I would leave my house, I would want to bring everyone with me or I'd freak out and worry that I would come home to my house surrounded by fire trucks and ambulances again and a police woman delivering bad news . . . .

I think whenever you go through something traumatic, it's perfectly natural to be scared all the time that it's going to happen again. It makes the possibility of what happened more real, if that makes sense.

mykids12
10-08-2013, 04:35 PM
I'm a HUGE hypochondriac. It's been one disease after another for me(and my mind :)) since March. If it hast been me that I've been diagnosing it's been my kids. When I hear of people getting sick or coming down with a disease I automatically assume I have it too and I'm dying. I can rationalize with myself sometimes but most of the time I'm convincing myself I or my kids are sick. I've been this way since I can remember, so around 10 or 11. My dr have me lorazepam but I don't take it because it just makes me too tired to function, so I just suffer with this. Wish I actually knew people close to me that was this way too so I wouldn't feel like such a huge freak!

jessed03
10-08-2013, 04:42 PM
People who say "It's just in your head" have no idea how powerful our minds are! Our minds are so powerful that they can even make us physically feel sick. They can torture us and terrify us against our will

Wow, a very true, and very descriptive way of putting it.