PDA

View Full Version : Totally Losing my Grip

RT24
10-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Sorry for the other thread, but I'm so scared.
For a week now, I've been having this problem where words sound weird in my head. It's a bit different now, where the sounds of words (usually only in my head or when I'm focused on what I'm saying) sound amplified and off. And occasionally I say a common phrase and feel confused. It simply won't stop, it's basically constant now! I told the neurologist, and he chalked it up to anxiety. But it won't stop. And I don't know how to stop thinking about it, because I need words to think! It happens without realizing it sometimes. I'm so so scared. I can't live like this!

Anyone have ANY solutions?

HealthAnxNut
10-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Wow, I can imagine that would be scary. I'm sorry you're going through that. Are you having any other symptoms that are new, or on any medications?

jessed03
10-04-2013, 09:59 AM
This kinda sounds quite OCDish. Something has created a loop in your mind, and there seems to be a type of rumination going. Maybe a bout of depersonalisation caused it, who knows. Seems a nasty combo of OCD like worry, and strong anxiety symptoms, causing havoc.

Firstly just do a tonne of relaxing things, it helps any anxiety disorder.

Secondly, what's the fear behind this? That you'll go crazy? Will cease functioning? Will fail at things from now on? Find it, and use those standard CBT methods to counter this fear.

Thirdly... This has a slight element of somnitization about it. it seems to follow the same pattern. It can be exhausting, truly exhausting. Don't play loop games, cos they'll burn you out quicker than a July 4th firework. Go on normally despite this, and fight every urge to avoid stuff. The more you focus your mind elsewhere, the better it gets. Don't push yourself madly hard, but don't shrink either.

You feel like you're losing your grip?

Good...

Lose your grip. Let go. Allow yourself to fall over the edge, it's only by doing that you realise you didn't need to hold on, you had your feet on the ground the whole time. :)

RT24
10-04-2013, 11:11 AM
I've been told it might be rumination before but I simply don't know how to stop it. The best way to describe it might be that my brain is focusing too much on the words I'm thinking and making them sound stranger and stranger. I've honestly been considering suicide more and more just to escape it...I'm worried it may never leave me.

RT24
10-04-2013, 05:50 PM
This is really getting bad :( I'm scared I'm gonna end up in a mental hospital.

newzie
10-04-2013, 09:18 PM
This is really getting bad :( I'm scared I'm gonna end up in a mental hospital.

Hey RT. I feel you. But I think you have to just come to terms with what it is.

You aren't going insane. It is a completely natural phenomenon, that happens to people everyday. Before I got this "anxiety infection" I would have derealizations all the time, they didn't phase me. I would say, "damn I feel high" or "haha, I'm loopy right now" and I would just brush them off and not give them a second thought.

Because you are in a state of heightened awareness, everything feels weird to you. You are telling your brain that these feelings are bad and to fear them which only makes the symptom worse. I have them too, they suck, it is odd and uncomfortable, but you need to brush them off, as do I. (to be honest here though I never really thought about them until reading about them on the internet, so go figure!)

When I think about it, it freaks me out and think the same thing as you. What if I am going absolutely insane...what if I end up in a mental hospital? So what, say I do end up in one, I can then get the help I need to heal. I know a couple of people who went to inpatient mental health services and they survived and helped them a great deal. The stigma attached to that doesn't help with everything you are going through so, I think you should just say "well if that happens, it happens."