PDA

View Full Version : Cbt?

Stephj526
10-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Has anyone tried doing self CBT training? I saw a psychiatrist today and she recommended I either try some self learning or see a therapist. Any suggestions or trial and error stories?

StaceyK
10-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Has anyone tried doing self CBT training? I saw a psychiatrist today and she recommended I either try some self learning or see a therapist. Any suggestions or trial and error stories?

I've just been referred for CBT from my doctor. Apparently it's us highly effective for anxiety. It's about challenging your thoughts - so for example , I have really bad health anxiety and I am preoccupied with thinking I have a brain tumour as I get really bad headaches. The therapist may draw up a pie chart with the types of headaches and causes - illustrating that most headaches are caused by other reasons. So it may show that 1000s of people each day wake up with a headache but very few will actually have a brain tumour.

j2005
10-01-2013, 11:51 PM
I have applied CBT with fantastic results. There are lots of books that teach it and videos. I used the Linden method with great results.

James