PDA

View Full Version : Another question about Anxiety

Howdy
12-09-2007, 04:40 PM
So I've had some bad anxiety the last few months with intrusive thoughts. Whenever I get mad now I almost always have a panic attack cause i'm affraid what if I get real mad and go crazy? I must admit watching the news hearing about these crazy people hasn't helped. Is there anything that works at helping you calm down? And is it possible i'm really going crazy?

RabidBadger
12-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Hi

I know this isn't always the case but, if you are really going crazy, you don't generally realise it - and other people see it long before you do.

What you are feeling is just a combination of anxiety and frustration because this thing keeps blighting your life - and, as long as the intrusive thoughts continue to worry you or appal you, then this confirms that they are against your moral values and you will not act on them.

I know it's hard but try to see them as insignificant. Try to think "that's a stupid idea because I know I'd never do that" and then dismiss it. The more significance you give these thoughts, the more they will reccur.

Chris

Howdy
12-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Yea i'm seeing a physcologist tommorow. I really don't want to take medication is there anyway CBT or some other kind of therapy might be more affective?

setler
12-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Medication generally gives you the support to keep you going while you do the work, which takes time, in therapy. So you could try not taking medication, but most therapists would want to immediately want to get you onto a med.

I didn't want to take meds either. When I found out I was going onto one, with my permission, I just started crying because I never thought my life would come to this. I have realized since that taking meds for these issues is just like taking meds for a cold or diabetes.

Hope this helps.