PDA

View Full Version : Depersonalization/Derealization

Pauletta86
09-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Hi everyone!

For everyone that suffers with DP/DR, do you suffer with memory problems?

For me, it feels like my memories are not real also. Like I know I did something yesterday, but it just doesn't quite feel like it was real! I hope this makes sense as hard to explain.

Cheers!

Pauletta86
10-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Anyone suffer with the below then?

jayj404
10-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Yupp. Sometimes I think back to something and think, "Did that really happen" And wonder if it was just a dream or something.

Dahila
10-01-2013, 11:54 AM
it is hard to explain, sometimes it feels that someone else did it, that it is not our memory , eh life :(

patchezzzz
10-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Yesyesyesyes! Mine has really improved though with medication. At the beginning of my derealization, I couldn't remember what I said 10 seconds ago. Seriously. It was impossible for me to have a conversation. The only reason your memory is bad is because DP/DR cause problems with focusing. You're either focusing on your symptoms or not able to completely comprehend what's going on around you BECAUSE of the symptoms that details just don't sink into the brain. Hence, your memory is affected. Don't be scared of this symptom. It's your brain's safety mechanism. When your nerves are damaged from too many stress hormones, your brain takes a step back and pretty much tries to tell you "I'm tired. I don't want to be stimulated for awhile. Let me rest and I will get back to normal functioning once the damage is healed." But people fear the symptom which just causes more damage so the symptom stays! Break the cycle. Just relax:) give your brain that break it needs and it'll be up and running in no time!

shelley15
10-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Yesyesyesyes! Mine has really improved though with medication. At the beginning of my derealization, I couldn't remember what I said 10 seconds ago. Seriously. It was impossible for me to have a conversation. The only reason your memory is bad is because DP/DR cause problems with focusing. You're either focusing on your symptoms or not able to completely comprehend what's going on around you BECAUSE of the symptoms that details just don't sink into the brain. Hence, your memory is affected. Don't be scared of this symptom. It's your brain's safety mechanism. When your nerves are damaged from too many stress hormones, your brain takes a step back and pretty much tries to tell you "I'm tired. I don't want to be stimulated for awhile. Let me rest and I will get back to normal functioning once the damage is healed." But people fear the symptom which just causes more damage so the symptom stays! Break the cycle. Just relax:) give your brain that break it needs and it'll be up and running in no time!

What medication do you take for your deralization?

patchezzzz
10-03-2013, 03:18 PM
I take Klonopin. It takes a few days to make the DR dissipate but the first day you take it, you feel relaxed and content

shelley15
10-03-2013, 03:39 PM
I take Klonopin. It takes a few days to make the DR dissipate but the first day you take it, you feel relaxed and content

Ahh okay I was given citlapram but I'm to scared to take it incase it makes me worse, I feel really tence to I want to feel relaxed lol

patchezzzz
10-04-2013, 07:05 PM
I took Citalopram:) It's not bad at all. It helped with my anxiety but didn't do anything for my derealization. The only things that have helped with my DR are the benzos, time, and staying calm.:)

shelley15
10-05-2013, 04:07 AM
A lot of people have said good things about citlapram I'm just scared it will give me palpitations. Maybe I should give it ago I'm so scared to though

RT24
10-05-2013, 08:58 AM
My thoughts feel generally foggy, so yeah. I'll be like "yeah that definitely happened, but man does it feel far off." Things that are usually everyday thoughts become really odd to me sometimes. I'll think of my favorite celebrity's name and be like "wait is that really his name?? Weird." You just gotta cope.

Dahila
10-06-2013, 01:16 PM
do not be scared, if you have normal blood pressure and are young SSRI should work nicely. Small percentage of people do not tolerate them, but not to many