PDA

View Full Version : Food scares

Forrest Owl
09-22-2013, 06:12 PM
So a friend of mine told me that I eat fruits high in pesticides and that I can develop cancer at some point from this, I am freaking out because I love fruit I eat it everyday day, I eat a fruit salad after dinner every night and I eat at least 2 apples a day. and 3 of the fruits (apples, strawberries.peaches) I love are on that list of bad ones, I am so scared that I have done myself in for death and I don't what to do or how true it is. help me Ive had a few panic attacks over this

tailspin
09-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Hi Forrest Owl, I understand your concerns but I don't believe you are in any serious danger! However, personally I like to eat organic fruits and veggies. Are you able to make the switch to organic? If organic produce is too expensive, you can buy products that allow you to wash your produce thoroughly. I would give that a go.

Olive Yew
09-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Farmer's markets are also great for clean fresh produce. Especially those who receive their produce from the Amish (like our little neighborhood produce stand down the street that my family goes to)

trinidiva
09-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Farmer's markets are also great for clean fresh produce. Especially those who receive their produce from the Amish (like our little neighborhood produce stand down the street that my family goes to)

I agree with Olive. I buy my veggies from a local farmers market or an Amish market down the road from my house.

jessed03
09-24-2013, 04:25 PM

^

That Missouri life <3

tailspin
09-24-2013, 04:27 PM
^^^^

LOL! :)

I agree, Farmer's Markets rock!

Olive Yew
09-24-2013, 04:27 PM
^ That Missouri life <3

Oh you know it :) we're the bees knees

NeverToo...Fear
09-24-2013, 05:02 PM
In addition to going and supporting my local farmer's market, I also grow a lot of my veggies. (I like to garden--yes, I'm a country nut) And I feel better knowing where some of my food is coming from.

tailspin
09-24-2013, 05:15 PM
In addition to going and supporting my local farmer's market, I also grow a lot of my veggies. (I like to garden--yes, I'm a country nut) And I feel better knowing where some of my food is coming from.

That's awesome, NeverToo!

u4ea
09-24-2013, 05:29 PM
I also agree that for quality and freshness, Farmers Markets' can't be beat!

Also, don't dwell on the Pesticide/tainted fruits too much - that could almost be said for EVERYTHING these days! From tap water loaded with fluoride, to hormones/steroids in beef, to the nitrates in processed foods causing damage to your DNA when metabolized - there is no escape.

Not that it's much help, but the government sets strict testing/guidelines on how much trace chemicals/pesticides are "safe" to consume and they're pretty strict on enforcing it too.