PDA

View Full Version : Never knew it was anxiety

chuckie99c
09-21-2013, 06:06 PM
I have just been diagnosed with anxiety, always thought it was depression and have been on citalipram twice in the past.

I'm just going back to work after being off for three weeks and now on week two of Prozac. I have zero appetite, and even chocolate is no good ! Feel like I'm on "red alert" all the time and more nervous than ever. I can't make a decision to safe my life and can't be bothered. Luckily work are letting me do half days next week so I can come home and nap before doing the school run at 4.30pm.

My fear of flying is extreme and I have 5 flights in the next 3 week ! I normally take diazepam when flying and normally have a few vodkas just to get me on the flight. I haven't drunk any alcohol since bring on Prozac and don't want to due to reading instructions with medication.

I freaked out on August 30th and out of the blue took an overdose and ended up in hospital for three days. This is totally unlike me. The mental health team discharged me after two days saying I was fine. I'm now on a waiting list for counseling via work.

Thanks for reading.

tailspin
09-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Hi chuckie. Welcome to the site. Really sorry you're having such a rough time. Personally I found Prozac too stimulating and it didn't help with my anxiety, but plenty of people do well on Prozac.

However, if this is the first medication you've tried and it turns out that it doesn't work, don't be discouraged because many of us have to try two or more ADs before we find one that helps. I would give it another couple of weeks and if you're still feeling like you're on red alert and don't want to eat then I would definitely talk to your psychiatrist about switching to a new medication. You can definitely take Valium with Prozac so there is no reason why you can't continue to take diazepam when you fly.

It's great you are on the waiting list for counseling as this could really help. Hope the waiting list isn't too long and you find some relief soon. Wishing you the best!