PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack - Presentation

Explorer
11-26-2007, 03:22 PM
I have a little problem that’s bothering me right now. I have started to have panic attacks when I do presentation (I go to collage so I have many presentations) and talk in front of people. I have never had this problem before, sure I got a little anxious but I could always go through it. The last one I had I just couldn’t do it so I had to leave the room. It feels like I can’t breath, swallow and I just get stuck. Because of the last episode I have focused on getting rid of the fear and I have read a lot and listen to audio-books etc.

The problem is just that every program takes a lot of time and I have a big presentation in two weeks. After I have read about it I am committed to do a whole program, because I now understand that I have had this sort of problems before but not understanding them, so I rely want them to go away. I will perform the whole program but I just wonder if there is anything that just could help me to perform in two weeks? On the program I am listening to, they say that I should not go faster then they recommend, and that I should face my fear but not until I have the skills to handle it, which makes me more anxious since I can’t go through the whole program before the presentation, which means I will not have the skills to go through it.

Is there anyone that has an idea of what I can do to accomplish this? I’m not saying that I want a shortcut to not being anxious ever again. I understand that this is a long process. But I just want something that could help me to do this presentation and not panicking. Then I could go on with the rest.

stressd
05-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Get a prescription for a Beta Blocker...helps control the symptoms...I believe you have to be a certain age...talk to your doctor and good luck!

fernandogress
06-29-2009, 01:57 AM
The Attack Know that it is a panic attack and people don't die from panic attacks. It's that simple. Believe it. The utmost belief of this fact is where the power lies. It may take you a minute or two to convince yourself. However, if it's not your first Panic Attack, then you should be confident in identifying what's happening to your body and mind. Once you recognize the attack, you can use proven techniques to end it as quickly as possible.
Important If you are truly hyperventilating out of control when the Panic Attack hits, breathing into a paper bag will help you get to the point where you can begin this exercise. Once you have regained some control of your breathing, remove the paper bag and begin the Counting Technique.

koolaid86
07-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Try looking into NLP triggers and anchors. I've had great success using them as an emergency treatment and they're great for changing any anxious beliefs.

I don't think they're great for a long-term anxiety attack treatment, but they're a good tool to have in your arsenal.

Another great thing to look into are Paraliminal recordings from Learning Strategies. I've had some great success with those too.

Steve_P
07-16-2009, 01:31 PM
I definitely advise against turning to beta blockers in any situation. When you take medications such as these, you're only putting a band-aid on the symptoms - not the cause of your anxiety - which is your faulty/anxious thinking.

There are a lot of things you can do to overcome this fear, and believe me I know what it's like. I did everything I could to avoid public speaking for years. I eventually overcame my fear by facing it as much as possible. I highly recommend joining a speaking club such as Toastmasters (non-profit, chapters all over the place).

Additionally, I would recommend you begin a regular exercise routine to help keep any excess/anxious energy at bay. The day of any presentations, definitely get some very intense exercise beforehand. This will really help calm you down. I still do this before any big presentations to help my performance.

And when it's time to get up there and speak, here is a technique to help you slow your heartbeat and help you calm down: http://www.alifelessanxious.com/node/244

Lastly, just try not to run from this. Voluntarily facing something you fear is the best thing you can do, and will help you conquer your fear.

Cheers,
Steve

dtrotter
07-19-2009, 10:30 PM
You may want to look into NLP or www.emofree.com (http://www.emofree.com) for the tapping technique to relieve you during your presentation. Oh well, all i can say is. this is due to fear of failure. so yeah. can't blame it, we are taught by the society not to fail.,