PDA

View Full Version : Severe presentation anxiety

michael1993
09-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Hi, I have recently got a new job as an apprentice and I have to do a presentation informing everyone of what we have to do in the apprentice program.

I always prepare well for these presentations and don't feel nervous leading up to it but as soon as I open my mouth it all kicks in. I can feel my heart beating really hard and fast, my voice starts trembling and breaking plus I shake and sweat alot too. To sum it up I feel absolutely horrible and make a complete fool of myself. I've had to present about 5 times before and it just isn't getting better. It's not the size of the audience because I even get like it in a very small audience (3-5 people). Even when I go to small meetings sat round a table and I have to speak up I get like it.

It's got to the point now where I just want some non prescription medication intervention just to get me through these situations better. I only have to do these presentations every once in a while so I won't be taking it on a regular basis.
Could anyone give me advice on what I could take and what affects it had on you.

Thanks for any help given,
Mike

michael1993
09-22-2013, 09:13 AM
sorry for the double post but please can i have some help?

michael1993
09-25-2013, 01:39 AM
Please I really need advice

alankay
09-25-2013, 02:18 AM
The only thing I know about is a beta blocker. I had the same issue in college speech class. I used a beta blocker to get started and have become more used to it now. Docs know all about this particular scenario so you will need to make an appt for it but it might be worth it. I bet 30-40 mgs of propranolol would help the tremor/shaking/racing heart a great deal.
Sorry I have no non prescrip suggestions except maybe an antihistamine and maybe valerian root. Alankay

lucyheath
09-25-2013, 02:37 AM
I'm on beta blockers and they do calm you down so much mine are called lustral :)

michael1993
09-25-2013, 02:56 AM
Ok Thankyou, if much rather go the non prescription route but if that's the only way I guess I'll have to.
What effects do beta blockers have then?

lucyheath
09-25-2013, 03:02 AM
Well Im 20 an i was battling with severe anxiety attacks where I wouldn't go out I couldn't get out of bed I even had to move from my home to my mums as I couldn't cope on my own my fear was " what if something happens to me I I faint etc who's going to look after my 3 year old" I looked up my symptoms as my doctor kept taking blood from me an saying there's nothing wrong it or to the point where I'd just sit and cry an feel so hopeless .... I asked for beta blockers and they do work they calm me down so much but I do want to try another med as I'm still having horrible symptoms ... :)

michael1993
09-25-2013, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the reply, sorry to hear it got so bad for you, makes my problem look a bit less significant!

alankay
09-25-2013, 07:15 AM
Lustral is zoloft which is not a beta blocker. Alankay

trinidiva
09-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Chamomile tea is herbal and naturally calms you.......it won't take away all the jitters but it is worth a try.....

Or you may want to look up CBT....it may help. They have some good self help workbooks available on Amazon.

michael1993
09-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Sorry what does cbt stand for?

tmolf36
09-25-2013, 06:08 PM
I take a beta blocker too..metroprolol tartrate. It helps to come me but it doesn't take away the thoughts in your head. Did you ever try suntheanine...its really L theanine...it is all natural if u were looking for something to calm you down.

trinidiva
09-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Sorry what does cbt stand for?

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It helps you put things into perspective and helps you learn how to deal with your anxiety using certain tools and exercises.
I personally purchased a helpful book from amazon:

The Cognitive Behavioral workbook for Anxiety: A Step by Step Program by William J. Knaus, ED.D

It was pretty good....but if you are able to see someone trained in CBT, even better. I'm still in the process of learning the exercises..but they do make sense and they do work.