PDA

View Full Version : Sight problems

Jeordie
11-26-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't get this symptom. For the last 6 months or so, my sight on the right eye got slightly blurry. "Blurry" is not the exact word for it. It's just strange. Basically I'm more aware of the presence of the nose in between of my eyes. And no, my nose didn't get bigger.

Yesterday I woke up with my sight even stranger in both sides. It is vague and hard to describe. I can see things, but there's something. Somewhat blurry, somewhat unfocused, somewhat shadowy, to the point it made looking at a screen difficult - this even started a panic attack as I was afraid I was having a serious neurological or optical problem, like cataract.

Note that the day before that happened I stared at the computer screen for some 10 hours or more consecutively. So I thought my eyes could just be tired.

I stayed away from the computer screen. Today it's a bit better, except when I went for a walk and it got worse as I was feeling watched by people, which made me think of the social anxiety I certainly have.

My phychologist says it's just in the mind. I am afraid of neurological and/or sight problems.

Though I haven't read anywhere this kind of problem could arise as a result of anxiety. Actually I've read about psychosomatic blindness, but this is rare. I know there can be slight visual problems because of anxiety, but the worry remains. I'm just hoping it's that.

What do you think? Can stress provoke strange visual disturbances?

RabidBadger
11-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Hi Jeordie

I have experienced visual problems that come and go, and they scare the life out of me, very often causing panic attacks.

Sometimes it is like I've been staring at a light bulb, sometimes it feels like my vision is fragmented and sometimes it feels like my eyes are working but the image isn't getting to my brain properly.

At other times, my eyesight is fine, but like you say, going outside seems to aggravate it sometimes.

Chris

Jeordie
11-26-2007, 02:21 PM
And what do you think they're caused by?
The fact they come and go makes it hard it's something physical.

RabidBadger
11-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Hi Jeordie

To be perfectly honest with you, I have been researching the effects of fear on the human body for quite a while and I know that, at times of anxiety, the brain receives less blood (because the bloodflow is diverted to your heart, lungs and skeletal muscles to help you flee or fight).

I can only imagine that the visual disturbances are caused by this reduced bloodflow to the brain - and possibly to the occular system too.

A reduced bloodflow to the brain causes a change in the oxygen/CO2 balance and this is very often blamed for the feeling of derealisation or detachment that accompanies anxiety.

There is also a theory that, at times of anxiety, the brain subconsciously lowers its own sensory accuity to protect it from unnecessary trauma.

Have you any opinions of your own?

Chris

RabidBadger
11-26-2007, 02:49 PM
One thing that I forgot to mention in my last post is that there are strong theoretical links between anxiety disorders and imbalances of neuro-transmitter chemicals such as serotonin. There are also links between these same imbalances and migraine headaches, which are renown for causing visual disturbances.

Chris

Jeordie
11-26-2007, 02:51 PM
I like this second theory of the brain not wanting you to see things.

People get fake pregnancy and fake psychosomatic blindness. People with multiple personalities swich between actual different invididualities, one of which could have certain physical symptoms while the others doesn't. But it's still the same body.

So, pretty much everything is possible.

So, how can one go blind just because of the mind, is there a scientific explanation?

I've had all sorts of crazy symptoms. Really mad. Some disappeared, and come back occasionally...and then disappear again. I got scared of having all sorts of illnesses, mental and physical. Yet, none of those were true.

I don't really have explanation for most of these crazy things. As for the sight problem I'm having now, I could be what you said, or something else. I just hope it's not dangerous!

RabidBadger
11-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Well if it's any consolation, I've been having these problems for years and I am still able to type this message so my eyes are still working ok.

You ask how the mind can affect your vision. Well the mind is the centre of our perception. If you were to sever your optical nerve, there would be no link between the eye and the brain and you would see nothing. It is the brain that creates the image, not the eye. The eye is just the lens, the brain is the camera.

Also, you can make people go blind with hypnosis. This proves that it is as much to do with the belief that you can see, as it is to do with the hardware.

Chris

Jeordie
11-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Given the although vague description of my symptom, do you think I should check with some doctor, and try to discover a physical cause? Or just forget about it? I'm stuck in between these two.

RabidBadger
11-26-2007, 03:13 PM
I think you should go to the doctor to rule out any physical cause. Just hearing from a doctor that there is no pathological cause might put your mind at rest and stop it happening.

Chris