PDA

View Full Version : Medication for panic attacks? Im on lustral tablets at the moment

lucyheath
09-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Anyone have any suggestions

patchezzzz
09-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Klonopin works very well for me:)

petrified
09-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Propananol and fluxotine :-)

lucyheath
09-19-2013, 04:00 PM
There loads :/

alankay
09-19-2013, 06:33 PM
The Ssri should help at least limit the severity and duration of PA's. Might even might
stop them. At the right dose most any benzo wil help pronto. Alankay

lucyheath
09-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Oh right thank you for that does anyone else feel like your hearts in your mouth it beats so hard

petrified
09-20-2013, 03:00 AM
I used to but the propananol seems to be controlling my heart rate it lessens the symptoms of panic. The thoughts are still there which are scary, but I don't get into a full blown panic attack anymore :-)

lucyheath
09-20-2013, 03:08 AM
Yeah ok I just think I'm on a low medication an I need a stronger or different tablet as I'm 20 I need this to go away :( x

lucyheath
09-20-2013, 03:09 AM
I haven't had a full panic attack on them but I do freak out which is bad enough :(

petrified
09-20-2013, 04:43 AM
My are only 10mg but I'm allowed to play around with them til I find my right dose I'm allowed up to 8 a day. Sometimes you will need to change them a few times to find the right one for you. Propananol are ok my doctor gave them to me years ago to get me through my driving test I was 19 then :-)

lucyheath
09-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Right ok thank you so much for the advise .... Do you ever totally panic an freak out when ever you've got appointments & extra stress ?

petrified
09-22-2013, 03:00 PM
All the time I had a hospital appointment on Friday and my anxiety was through the roof, I convinced myself they would find something serious and I wouldn't have long left. I was fine and it calmed me until today when my anxiety decided to make a reappearance. But I often get panicky before I go to the doctors also. I no go with a list as I often forget what I need to say :-)

lucyheath
09-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Aww so it isn't just me you feel so Alone with this condition I just feel like I need to find a perfect med for it as I'm still not confident in doing certain things :/

petrified
09-22-2013, 03:08 PM
You definitely aren't alone, but I no how you feel its often really hard getting family and friends to understand how you feel and it feels like no one wants to no or that they don't understand. I started on my meds last week and I've had about 3 anxious days out of 7. So I'm just thinking its got to get better. You need to tell your doctor exactly how you are feeling so you can get put on the right meds for you. Good luck :-)

lucyheath
09-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Ye it is really hard to get everyone around you to understand :) thank you your words are helpful

Lin
10-03-2013, 10:55 PM
It is so easy to panic and have anxiety about any appointment you have arranged or any event you are going to. Instead of tablets you can concentrate on deep slow breathing which will help. But I also take diazepam which I take regularly every day and it keeps my anxiety at a reasonable level all day. But diazepam is addictive.

lexiii
01-06-2014, 07:34 PM
how long until you guys found your meds worked? im getting impatient..

thisguy
01-23-2014, 12:18 PM
The Ssri should help at least limit the severity and duration of PA's. Might even might
stop them. At the right dose most any benzo wil help pronto. Alankay

You're spot on Alankay.
The severity and frequency of your panic attacks should be discussed with your doc so he/she can make a good decision about which medication to use. Describe as best you can the feeling of your own panic attacks instead of just asking for a specific medication. It will help your doctor understand you better and overcome the profession's stigma of drug seeking patients.

I've used benzodiazepines to control my PD for years now. Although initially a benzodiazepine medication might seem like a miracle, you'll feel like you should feel that way all the time, and think you need to take them all the time. You may very well have to. It took some time for me to be able to manage my use of the medication. I believe my difficulty learning to manage the medication came as a result of years of struggling with the disorder with no knowledge or hope for a cure. Personally, if I take benzodiazepines too often, depression develops, along with an increasing feeling of "needing" to take it. It's best to know when you "need" to take them and when not to in order to manage the medication if you are prescribed. Responsible medication use will help you to live a better life with this disability. Good luck!

thisguy
01-23-2014, 12:21 PM
how long until you guys found your meds worked? im getting impatient..

Antidepressant medications generally take at least a week before you begin to notice any changes. It takes a significant amount of self-awareness to explain the changes to your doctor. Take notes on your mood throughout the day, and read them over before talking to your doctor. Benzodiazepine medications work within a half hour.

John_Mark
01-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Antidepressant medications generally take at least a week before you begin to notice any changes. It takes a significant amount of self-awareness to explain the changes to your doctor. Take notes on your mood throughout the day, and read them over before talking to your doctor. Benzodiazepine medications work within a half hour.

Thanks for the info.

ashly1221
01-26-2014, 03:09 PM
I used to get very severe panic attacks. I was taking Celexa as an antidepressant anti anxiety and then I would take Clonazepam as needed for when I would get a panic attack. I went to therapy and I think that it was actually the therapy that helped the most. Good luck! I haven't taken medication in years but continue with therapy. Some things work for different people. You will find what works for you!

intel2
02-12-2014, 07:05 AM
I'm on Citalopram HBR 10MG have been for 2 weeks... My anxiety got worst is that possible ?
The first 5 days was awe... Than slowly got worst till yesterday at work was awful the worst day... Today I'm going to my doctor .... So frustrating

Enduronman
02-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Let us know how your visit goes and if they made any changes in your meds too friend.

and Welcome to the forums too...

E_Man..:)

Applecherry
02-13-2014, 04:46 AM
I take Zoloft, it works pretty well for me, it's an antidepressant of course, I'm not anxiety free, but compare me to how I was before the Zoloft, to after, it's quite a switch, I can now sit down to eat when nervous, and I can concentrate on hobbies and what not, even when I'm nervous, it helps a great deal.

Greggs2583
02-13-2014, 05:32 AM
I got over my panic attacks naturally without medication, I learn't by going with the panic and not fighting can eliminate them for good, it does require practice but it works :)

ashly1221
02-22-2014, 04:01 PM
I'm on Citalopram HBR 10MG have been for 2 weeks... My anxiety got worst is that possible ?
The first 5 days was awe... Than slowly got worst till yesterday at work was awful the worst day... Today I'm going to my doctor .... So frustrating

It almost always gets worse before if gets better. Gotta remember you're taking an SSRI so it is trying to change the serotonin balance in your brain. Usually after about 3 weeks or so you will start to feel real benefits from it. I took Celexa (exact same as Citalopram, just a different name brand) for years and it helped me A LOT along side with therapy. How did it go with your Doctor? Feeling any better these days?

ashly1221
02-22-2014, 04:02 PM
I got over my panic attacks naturally without medication, I learn't by going with the panic and not fighting can eliminate them for good, it does require practice but it works :)

I too used that technique with my panic attacks. It worked. It's called exposure therapy, that's what my old therapist told me anyways. It sucked for the first few times but then I got the hang of it. Grocery stores were my favourite lol