PDA

View Full Version : Flying!

Pauletta86
09-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Hi all!

So, I am flying to LA on Saturday from the UK!

I'm not a big fan of flying as get claustrophobic!
My anxiety has been a lot worse recently and think this is because I am nervous about the flight! One of my worse symptoms is depersonalization and Derealization!

Anyone, just wandered if anyone else's gets worse because of lying and what you do to help you relax on plane/before flight (apart from medication)

Cheers,

tailspin
09-19-2013, 02:18 PM
I feel for you!!! Flying has become impossible for me so I'm probably not the best person to give advice!!! However, one thing that used to help me is, when I got on the plane I would seek out a friendly looking flight attendant and I would tell her that I'm an anxious flyer and they were always so nice to me and they would check on me during the flight and they would answer any questions I had, and it really helped to feel like I had someone on board who was a) an expert in the field of flying and b) on my side! I think flight attendants must be trained to deal with anxious flyers because they are always so good at reassuring people. I would definitely recommend talking to a flight attendant on board. And not just at the beginning of the flight. But anytime during the flight that you feel anxious.

Many years ago I would ask to meet the pilot and often times I was able to do this, and that was very reassuring too. However, that's all changed now and I don't think any passengers are allowed in the cockpit anymore. But I'm sure you'll find that talking with a friendly flight attendant will help!

Good luck and hope you have a great time in LA!!

ParanoidPenny
09-23-2013, 09:06 PM
I assume you've already taken your flight, but wanted to let you know that I am a flight attendant and I have anxiety. It was much worse when I was younger which is the only reason I've been able to keep my job. I've been doing it for 8 years and trust me, when some lets us know that they are scared/nervous we will do anything to help you feel more comfortable. I hope you had a good relaxing flight!

Pauletta86
09-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Hi!

Flight was good actually...didn't actually feel like we were flying as was so smooth and plane was spacious!

My depersonalization has been worse since got to LA. Think this may be due to jet lag though?!

ParanoidPenny
09-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Could be jet lag or could just be being in an unfamiliar place if LA is not home to you?

Pauletta86
09-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Yeah could be that. I'm from England, so yeah, a long way from home!

ParanoidPenny
09-23-2013, 09:41 PM
I have noticed I have more anxiety when I'm away at work.

Pauletta86
09-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Yeah it sucks doesn't it!

Are you from America? What airline do you work for?

ParanoidPenny
09-23-2013, 09:55 PM
I do live in the US. I'd rather not say what airline I work for, but it is domestic. I could never stand being on a plane long enough to fly all the way to the UK lol!

Pauletta86
09-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Ok cool. That's fair enough!

tailspin
09-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Glad the flight went well! I have done that flight many times as I am from the UK originally but I've been living in California for many years. I haven't been able to make that trip in over 5 years now though. My goal is to fly to England again! It's good to hear the flight was smooth! Turbulence sends me over the edge!

Well done for making the trip successfully!