PDA

View Full Version : Do medications help physical symptoms?

richick
11-24-2007, 06:33 AM
Has anyone found relief from their physical symptoms through medication?

I have been experiencing Tinnitus (buzzing in both ears) and slight dizziness since July. This may or may not have anything to do with my anxiety issues, though I am aware that they are a common symptom.

My ENT does not believe that these symptoms are related to my ears, after performing a thorough exam and hearing evaluation.

It may be hormonal, due to my age and other recent changes, but I had an exam with my Ob Gyn in August, and nothing seemed amiss. I explained these symptoms to him, but he didn't seem to put a connection together.

Out of desperation, I may finally dip into that sample bottle of Citralopram I have been holding onto since June.........but only if there is a chance that it will relieve the Tinnitus and dizziness.

Also, whether coincidental or not, the Tinnitus and Dizziness began while on vacation (far away), which is one of my phobias.

Should I take the stuff????????????

Please share your experiences, both positive and negative.

RabidBadger
11-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi Richick

It's a difficult question to answer because the symptoms are psychosomatic so, in theory, anything that alleviates the anxiety will cause the symptoms to diminish.

Having said that, anti-depressants are infamous for the side-effects that they cause so it is possible that you can develop a whole new set of symptoms.

I have taken an SSRI called escitalopram for the past year. This is very similar to citalopram but it is delivered as an oxalate salt that is more readily absorbed by the body. Therefore, the dose can be lower, thus causing fewer side-effects. I have to admit that the net result is that I feel much better than I did this time last year but I think it also has a lot to do with how I have approached my problems mentally too.

Remembering back to when I first started the medication, my side effects were nausea, dry mouth, dizziness, runny nose - all of which disappeared after about 2 weeks but my anxiety got worse for about the first 5 weeks before it started getting better.

Hope this helps

Chris

frogger
11-24-2007, 10:29 AM
richick - as someone who has been on an ssri for about a week, i have little long-term wisdom to impart. but i identify with where you're coming from. my decision to get on zoloft was a multi-month one due to my fears of the side effects and fear of being rendered even less functional at work and in other situations.

i have really bad physical symptoms too - only mine are related more to chronic head tension due to my ignoring positive energy, filtering out good things, bracing for stuff. i have to say that in the short time i've been on zoloft for panic disorder, i've felt nauseous and a bit dizzy - but to me personally, it has already appeared worth it. my nausea and dizziness pales in comparison to the side effects of my own disorder! but everyone will tell you to definitely combine it with therapy. the problem for me was - i couldn't benefit from my therapy because i was so panicked when i showed up there that i couldn't converse with my therapist. now i can - and now i can work on facing this beast and hopefully come off the drugs one day.