PDA

View Full Version : Visualization

Mark
11-23-2007, 12:47 PM
I read that trying to repress, or forget about your anxiety only helps to make it stronger because you are constantly telling yourself to forget about it, which means you are always thinking about it. A really screwed up cycle.
For the last 2 nights, Instead of trying to forget about my anxiety whenever I started to feel uncomfortable, I would just tell myself that Mr. GAD (General Anxiety Disorder) is up to his old tricks again and I would continue with whatever I was doing. Surprisingly, this actually made things a little easier. In fact, calling what was bothering me Mr. GAD actually made me giggle a little. While the discomfort was still there, I found I was able to concentrate more.
Last night, I took it a step further. Now, I know this is probably going to sound like the absolute dumbest thing you ever heard, but last night, when I began feeling anxious again, I imagined Mr. GAD looking like Mr. Rogers, walking into my brain, singing his dumb song, hanging his coat and putting on his sweater and slippers. I began laughing and it felt good.
I guess that visualizing what was bothering me and putting a humourous spin on it helped lessen the feelings of dread. I'm hoping this sort of thing continues to work and will eventually lead to me kicking Mr. GAD, with his stupid sweater and slippers, out of my head for good. It will then really be a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Sorry couldn't resist :).

Has anyone else tried this visualization (probably not to this silly extreme)? If so, what were your experiences?

If you haven't, give it a shot and please let me know what you experienced.

I hope that this post doesn't offend anyone with it's silliness. I do take anxiety very seriously. I just wanted to share a good experience with everyone and hopefully give someone an idea that may help them.

Thanks

Jeordie
11-23-2007, 01:02 PM
I am quite offended by the silliness of this post! No, of course no.

I use visualization to picture the life I want. I imagine myself in a new house by the sea, drinking coffee on a terrace and a beautiful woman waiting for me somewhere. In the same way I imagine my professional life, or other dreams coming true. I try to picture the details if the scene, the smells, the mood, etcetera.

It's a different take on the word "visualization", actually this is what I've read it's traditionally used for: imagining positive things happening in your life, and experiencing them with your mind as close to real as you can.
You're obviously free to give anxiety a character, if it helps you. I did that too for a while.

But yeah, the absolute worst thing an anxious person can do is having nothing to do. If so, one should at least use his/her mind positively, counteracting the pessimistic thoughts with good ones.

RabidBadger
11-23-2007, 01:38 PM
How can you be offended by someone else's approach to tackling anxiety? If this method works to make the anxiety seem less threatening then it obviously has its merits. There are no hard and fast rules about how you should address your anxiety.

Chris

Velrose
11-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Hehe, I got quite the giggle out of your method, but strangely enough--I might have to attempt a version of this myself! I tend to joke about my own issues a lot to try and ease them, and for the most part it does work--but I have never tried visualization. Thanks for the idea, I'm willing to try anything...

Now I need an image for my own Mr.GAD.... *ponders*

AUserName
11-23-2007, 11:23 PM
I always turn my problems into jokes..But it never seems to help since they are real problems (like ones that need to be dealt with) Anxiety is different though since its a problem..but one that is annoying and isn't my fault or anyone elses fault..If that makes sense. This makes little sense and I apologize, but yeah. Anxiety is def. a problem..and all I am saying is that joking around with it might actually work.

Jeordie
11-24-2007, 06:06 AM
Anxiety is def. a problem..and all I am saying is that joking around with it might actually work.

Anxiety is not a problem. It's a reaction to a problem. When you'll know that, your problems will be over.

Jeordie
11-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Plus, when you'll stop taking it so seriously, it will ease itself.