PDA

View Full Version : first time on ssri (zoloft)

frogger
11-22-2007, 08:43 PM
hey. so i just started zoloft 2 days ago. i've avoided ssri's for years because i'm so afraid of the weaning off period. but that was a different time. i'm 28, just started a new job, and i saw a psychiatrist (also a first) this week. this was urged by the therapist i've been seeing. i wouldn't have done this if my physical symptoms weren't so bad. i have this chronic head tension that seems to affect my vision, and i know it's just from bad cognitive habits. the psychiatrist diagnosed me with panic disorder with agoraphobia. we agreed that i'd try zoloft. he also gave me an Rx for klonopin.

i don't really know what i'm trying to ask. i'm still tapering the old zoloft on up, but yeah - it makes me really nauseous so far. and i feel up and down throughout the day. also feel like i can sleep easier... i don't know. things feel unreal but my anxiety is a bit better (awful lump in throat is already gone). could just be placebo effect of starting it though... figured i'd report in for posterity. and maybe ask if anyone else has had good experience w/zoloft?

Freaking out!
11-23-2007, 06:42 AM
I have never taken zoloft so I can't comment from personal experience but if it's like the vast majority of other brain meds that I have taken it has to build up in your body over a period of time. Hopefully the bothersome side-effects
will subside eventually.

On a more positive note, I have heard many encouraging reports about klonopin in treating anxiety disorders. It is much more fast-acting and behaves more like a typical tranquilizer in that it can be used at the onset of symptoms...no waiting six weeks to receive relief. Good luck.

Portland
11-24-2007, 10:03 PM
I started taking Prozac in mid-July and initially I felt more anxious and severe fatigue but by mid September I felt like a new person. Not only has it greatly reduced my anxiety and eliminated my panic but it has made me less socially phobic. I also have a lot more energy and I feel like myself again. I did go through a few months of cognitive therapy with a psychologist which no doubt has helped me also. But i can honestly say that I don't have any unpleasant side effects that I am aware of and there are days that go by that I forget I ever had anxiety or had panic attacks. I don't know what happens if/when I stop the Prozac though. Do I have to take this permanently and what are the withdrawal effects physically and mentally?

smbkrn
12-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Great experience with Zoloft for 6 years. Try taking it at night. It will help you get through the initial nauseated feeling you are getting.