PDA

View Full Version : Exercise question please

Blessed
09-11-2013, 07:23 PM
I have been doing two miles on elliptical machine most days of week for three weeks to try and get into shape and getting resting heart rate down. My question is how long should it take for me to see an improvement in heart rate and most importantly how long after exercising should it take me to get to a normal heart rate. It's been over an hour and I'm still in the 90s is this normal?

jessed03
09-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Yes, given anxiety. After exercise my heart sometimes didn't go down for a week.

Not COS of the exercise, but the anxiety that came up during the exercise, and that stayed around for the week. Funny thing anxiety, huh :-/

*all assuming you have good health.

onebreathatatime
09-11-2013, 07:32 PM
I have been doing two miles on elliptical machine most days of week for three weeks to try and get into shape and getting resting heart rate down. My question is how long should it take for me to see an improvement in heart rate and most importantly how long after exercising should it take me to get to a normal heart rate. It's been over an hour and I'm still in the 90s is this normal?

That's a good question... I'm also curious about that. For me it depends what type of activity I do. If its more strength training I find it takes longer for my heart rate to come back down but when doing cardio it comes back down rather quickly.

Jernau G
09-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Hi

Its probably easier said than done, but my suggestion is to just forget about the heart rate. It will go down when it goes down. Just keep going with the exercises.

Im sure it wont be long until you notice that it becomes easier and you will feel better about yourself when you are in better shape.

I think it is much better to just focus on getting in better shape and improving your times (if you start running outside)

Personally i think running is a great way to keep your anxiety under control (if I can push myself to run hard then why should I worry about my heartbeat when Im watching Tv on the sofa?)

Hope this makes sense

Blessed
09-12-2013, 06:24 PM
I try so hard not to think Bout heart rate but I'm paranoid that if I don't check it it will become too high or even too low. I'm working out right now and my heart rate is 10 beats over what is suggested for my age is this normal or should I go slower ??? I'm 32 it got up to 167 ??

Ritch
09-12-2013, 06:39 PM
I try so hard not to think Bout heart rate but I'm paranoid that if I don't check it it will become too high or even too low. I'm working out right now and my heart rate is 10 beats over what is suggested for my age is this normal or should I go slower ??? I'm 32 it got up to 167 ??

I'm guessing the reason it is going above the "suggested" rate is because you are checking it and feeding the cycle of anxiety which is making it go a little higher. I think Jernau gave the perfect answer do your best not to check it but I understand that is a lot easier said than done. The more exercise you do the fitter you will become and your heart rate will begin to lower.

Blessed
09-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Thank you for advice