PDA

View Full Version : heat or zoloft causing high bpm

sitemastercalifornia
09-11-2013, 02:09 PM
I started taking zoloft 2 weeks ago along with propranolol for anxiety. when I check my bpm in the morning until about 2 o clock my bpm is about 72. After 2 o clock its 94 - 121. I dont feel anxious when testing either. Is it the zoloft i am taking around 2 o clock or me being on my back porch where its about 84-87 degrees? can heat make your bpm raise that much or could it be some bad reaction to medicine?

u4ea
09-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Are you staying hydrated? Dehydration definitely increases your heart rate.

Though honestly, 94 - 121 bpm isn't dangerous so don't sweat it : )

sitemastercalifornia
09-11-2013, 02:19 PM
yes sure am, drinking plenty of water. I feel fine after an hour of taking the prop. but when i take the zoloft i get a slight headache and high bpm. It's hot outside i drink 1-2 water bottles per day. I'm not outside much, dont really feel panicked, but i donno if it's some bad reaction to the two mixtures. take prop. around 9am and zoloft around 2pm

u4ea
09-11-2013, 02:32 PM
yes sure am, drinking plenty of water. I feel fine after an hour of taking the prop. but when i take the zoloft i get a slight headache and high bpm. It's hot outside i drink 1-2 water bottles per day. I'm not outside much, dont really feel panicked, but i donno if it's some bad reaction to the two mixtures. take prop. around 9am and zoloft around 2pm

Well, elevated HR is a side effect of Zoloft.

I was on a beta blocker (Toprol XL) and was still able to reach a tachy heart rate, even though I wasn't, or didn't feel anxious. So I definitely know how you feel - are you on it for high blood pressure, or tachycardia?

sitemastercalifornia
09-11-2013, 02:38 PM
doc said my bp was high, but it was because i was panicking when she checked. I think my bp is fine though, she gave it to me for anxiety (propranolol). Does the heart rate side effect go away? it it dangerous?

sitemastercalifornia
09-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Well, elevated HR is a side effect of Zoloft.

I was on a beta blocker (Toprol XL) and was still able to reach a tachy heart rate, even though I wasn't, or didn't feel anxious. So I definitely know how you feel - are you on it for high blood pressure, or tachycardia?

doc said my bp was high, but it was because i was panicking when she checked. I think my bp is fine though, she gave it to me for anxiety (propranolol). Does the heart rate side effect go away? it it dangerous?

u4ea
09-11-2013, 02:44 PM

Ha - same happened to me! What a shame how quick MD's are to write an Rx. Though you should check it a home to be sure...also, are you checking your HR accurately?

As far as the side effect, not sure? I believe with most new meds, many of the side effects subside within a few weeks; talk to your doctor if you become overly concerned ; )

Also, remember obsessing with your HR will cause anxiety -> which will cause an elevated HR

sitemastercalifornia
09-11-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm pretty sure it's accurate. counting pulse for 15 seconds then multiplying by 4. And using a wrist cuff bp meter that has pulse

u4ea
09-11-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm pretty sure it's accurate. counting pulse for 15 seconds then multiplying by 4. And using a wrist cuff bp meter that has pulse

Yup, sounds good!

Cobra
09-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Normal resting heart rate is 60 to 100 . That is, lying in bed, doing nothing, without anxiety. Just sitting up, standing, walking across the room, can elevate it. Caffeine, eating, having a full bladder, can make your hr increase. But you know what the worst thing you can do to your heart rate to elevate it? Worry about your heart rate! Lol!