PDA

View Full Version : Nicotine and anxiety

solta
09-08-2013, 04:20 PM
I've been doing great lately (except for today, ugh) and I've started thinking about nicotine and anxiety. Does it affect your anxiety in any way? I switched from smoking to snus and I do feel like the amount of nicotine contained in snus combined with the amount I use, has a negative effect on my anxiety. So yeah, what do you guys think about nicotine and anxiety?

crofryuk1
09-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Smoking brought on my panic attacks when I was smoking quit because of it 3yr later still quit

rachbond
09-08-2013, 04:52 PM
I've quit 3 days ago that has brought mine on

emilyfrances
09-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Yup! It sure does.

caraghbanana
09-09-2013, 09:25 AM
I think it would effect it, all these type of things effect and play with your mind, I think just getting therapy to make you a stronger person, will help you defeat anxiety

mds319
09-09-2013, 10:12 AM
I started dipping snuff when I was 15... while my brain was still developing. Not just a small habit but a "2 cans per day habit". The mental effects of snuff helped me to cope with stress, handle tremendous workloads, cut the "dizziness" associated with drinking too much alcohol and helped with concentration.

I quit my habit on January 30, 2013, went through the worst 4 weeks of my life with withdrawal symptoms, and my doctor and I agree that this is what started my anxiety issues. According to my doctor, quitting a 2 can a day snuff habit has the same withdrawal symptoms of quitting a heroine addiction. Ever since then, my mental abilities have diminished (including my memory). His theory is that my brain, while still developing, grew dependent on the chemicals within the snuff. So basically, my brain never developed naturally to deal with stress, concentration, heavy workloads, etc. Now that my brain is cut off from what it grew to know as stress relief, it's lost not knowing how to react to stressful situations. Now, insert a little stress.... my life is a miserable hell from the constant anxiety. Had I started in my late 20's... I may not have the anxiety issues today.

My doctor says that dealing with temporary anxiety and the extra pounds I gained is a better trade off than increased future health risks with continuing the snuff habit. With my anxiety symptoms, it's sometimes hard to agree with that statement though.

solta
09-09-2013, 01:14 PM
I started dipping snuff when I was 15... while my brain was still developing. Not just a small habit but a "2 cans per day habit". The mental effects of snuff helped me to cope with stress, handle tremendous workloads, cut the "dizziness" associated with drinking too much alcohol and helped with concentration.

I quit my habit on January 30, 2013, went through the worst 4 weeks of my life with withdrawal symptoms, and my doctor and I agree that this is what started my anxiety issues. According to my doctor, quitting a 2 can a day snuff habit has the same withdrawal symptoms of quitting a heroine addiction. Ever since then, my mental abilities have diminished (including my memory). His theory is that my brain, while still developing, grew dependent on the chemicals within the snuff. So basically, my brain never developed naturally to deal with stress, concentration, heavy workloads, etc. Now that my brain is cut off from what it grew to know as stress relief, it's lost not knowing how to react to stressful situations. Now, insert a little stress.... my life is a miserable hell from the constant anxiety. Had I started in my late 20's... I may not have the anxiety issues today.

My doctor says that dealing with temporary anxiety and the extra pounds I gained is a better trade off than increased future health risks with continuing the snuff habit. With my anxiety symptoms, it's sometimes hard to agree with that statement though.

Have you seen any improvement in your condition after you quit? Back when I was younger I never had any issues with money so I spent a ton on alcohol etc. I wish I could go back and never taste that first sip of alcohol... I'm 100% certain that caused most of my problems. I'm quite sure nicotine aggravates the anxiety so I'm thinking about quitting but it won't be easy.

solta
09-09-2013, 01:16 PM
I think it would effect it, all these type of things effect and play with your mind, I think just getting therapy to make you a stronger person, will help you defeat anxiety

I've never really thought about therapy much. Meds are something I probably will never take and I'm scared that I'll be prescribed with something if I see someone.

caraghbanana
09-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Therapy isn't all about meds. It's about finding ways to calm your mind and make you stronger to basically kick anxiety out of your system :)

mds319
09-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Have you seen any improvement in your condition after you quit? Back when I was younger I never had any issues with money so I spent a ton on alcohol etc. I wish I could go back and never taste that first sip of alcohol... I'm 100% certain that caused most of my problems. I'm quite sure nicotine aggravates the anxiety so I'm thinking about quitting but it won't be easy.

All of my anxiety issues actually started after I quit snuff. My doctor says there's no way to determine if it's coincidental or not. I think since I started at such an early age, my brain developed around the nicotine. Fast forward 20 years, I quit snuff and now I have a harder time dealing with stress.

Keep in mind, my doctor said that he would rather see me gain a few extra pounds and have the temporary anxiety symptoms than to be at an increased risk of diseases and complications caused by tobacco. The first 2 weeks are really tough (night sweats, chills, bad dreams, nausea, sleepless nights, etc) but those withdrawal symptoms will lighten up and should be completely gone within 4 weeks.

SleeplessInPA
09-09-2013, 02:49 PM
While smoking seems to calm some people down...it makes me very anxious! I quit smoking years ago, one of the main reasons was my anxiety.

solta
09-09-2013, 02:58 PM
All of my anxiety issues actually started after I quit snuff. My doctor says there's no way to determine if it's coincidental or not. I think since I started at such an early age, my brain developed around the nicotine. Fast forward 20 years, I quit snuff and now I have a harder time dealing with stress.

Keep in mind, my doctor said that he would rather see me gain a few extra pounds and have the temporary anxiety symptoms than to be at an increased risk of diseases and complications caused by tobacco. The first 2 weeks are really tough (night sweats, chills, bad dreams, nausea, sleepless nights, etc) but those withdrawal symptoms will lighten up and should be completely gone within 4 weeks.

I've quit snuff once before and my withdrawal symptoms weren't that bad but I'm not looking forward to those. The health risks of tobacco use I can take but the anxiety is hard to deal with. I have noticed that my anxiety levels raise when I snuff right when I wake up so I think quitting will help. I really hope that this will help me get better again even though its going to be tough. I don't mind the panicky feeling etc but its my thoughts I have to battle and that can get overwhelming at times.

solta
09-09-2013, 03:00 PM
While smoking seems to calm some people down...it makes me very anxious! I quit smoking years ago, one of the main reasons was my anxiety.

I had the same thing with cigarettes! At first they calmed me down but when my anxiety got worse the smoking lost it's calming effect and made me feel awful. I changed to snuff since its not that bad for your lungs and it made quitting easier. I do love snuff though, so it sucks to give it up.

solta
09-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Therapy isn't all about meds. It's about finding ways to calm your mind and make you stronger to basically kick anxiety out of your system :)

Talking to people does make me feel better so I think I'll give therapy a shot. I never talk to people about anxiety (except here of course) but just being around them makes a difference in how I feel.

caraghbanana
09-09-2013, 03:21 PM
What you need to look up in something called "cbt(congnitive behaviour therapy". Everybody could do with a bit of that! Haha x

solta
09-12-2013, 01:24 PM
I can tell you first hand that tobacco directly affects anxiety. I could feel a direct connection when I had anxiety and dipped. Had to stop..it was bad. I started walking every day and deep breathing at night. Anxiety is now gone... and I don't dip anymore :)

This is the first day I'm using smaller doses. It has already helped but quitting's going to be rough.

Ritch
09-12-2013, 06:00 PM
I have seen people say that smoking calms them down and also people who say it makes it worse. I think what a lot of people forget or don't know is that nicotine is a stimulant, stimulants are sometimes stimulating for some people and calming for others. So obviously as you all know stimulants are not normally a good idea for people like us :)

So for the people who feel it is contributing to their anxiety perhaps they are a little more sensitive to stimulants than others, also with it being an addictive substance when you initially try to stop it does have the potential to cause anxiety like symptoms as your body is craving nicotine which it is no longer getting.