PDA

View Full Version : Did I ruin my progress with drinking?

solta
09-08-2013, 01:15 AM
Lately I've been feeling so much better so I felt like I could go out and get drunk. I knew this would happen and here we are, on the verge of th first panic attack in months. Did I ruin my progress :(

emilyfrances
09-08-2013, 05:00 AM
Unfortunately it may have, but you're aware of the problem so it may not have done any damage!

emilyfrances
09-08-2013, 05:02 AM
You just have to think about if it's worth it to drink if those things happen. We all slip up though! It happens. Just be aware and try not to do it if it triggers your panic attacks or something.

solta
09-08-2013, 04:15 PM
I know that it's the root of all my problems. I really wish I had never tasted any alcohol at all. I was doing really well and now I'm back quite a few steps. I try to go to parties and not drink but somehow I just slip and think that hey, I'm all good and nothing is going to happen but here we are again. I'm good when around friends but now its 1am here and I just can't go to sleep...

emilyfrances
09-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Yeah same thing happened to me on Friday. :(

solta
09-08-2013, 05:24 PM
I have had problems with drinking from a young age but I've got it under control now. Well, that's what I like to think at least. Being 25 and not being able to fully enjoy nights out (sounds kinda silly but alcohol is a big part of parties) really sucks. I do go out sober but its never as fun as it could be.

How did you cope after your night out on Friday?

emilyfrances
09-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Yeah I feel the same way! I'm 21 and it's kinda hard to avoid alcohol or drinking especially being out with friends.

I was mad at myself because I feel like I should be able to handle it but then the same thing happens everytime and it's like a step back whenever I gain progress.

frankzito
09-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Usually sets me back a week or more depending how bad it was

solta
09-08-2013, 06:31 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I know its pretty dumb to do something you know is going to hurt you. But I always end up thinking that hey, maybe its all over and I can drink again. I should really try to change that way of thinking because its not doing me any good. I don't even drink much but it still sets the anxious feeling off when I wake up. I can go to bed feeling perfectly fine and then wake up feeling absolutely horrible. What kind of symptoms do you get when you wake up?

ParanoidPenny
09-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Do you have anxiety when you're drunk, hungover or is it guilt?

solta
09-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Usually sets me back a week or more depending how bad it was

Do you usually get over the symptoms? The only thing I'm worried about is that some day the feeling I have when waking up wont go away.

solta
09-08-2013, 06:41 PM

Well the anxiety is there when having the firsts drinks. I guess its the fact that I'm scared about what will happen in the morning. It does disappear at some point and I can enjoy the night out. Its the morning after that bugs me. I don't even get hungover because I don't drink that much anymore but even still the feeling is there when I wake up. The guilt part comes to play when I feel anxious and beat myself over the fact that I was dumb enough to drink even though I knew this would happen.

brian_s_21
09-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I do!!!!! I get anxiety when I'm drunk I start freaking out

frankzito
09-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Do you usually get over the symptoms? The only thing I'm worried about is that some day the feeling I have when waking up wont go away.

Yes, you should get back to where you were. But everybody is different. I've been drunk numerous times, but it takes a while. The worst for me was about two weeks of being edgy. Good luck

ParanoidPenny
09-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I get bad anxiety the day after drinking. I feel sick, have heart palpitations, belly issues, headache..... Which I know just sounds like a bad hangover, but I feel like I'm going to pass out all day.

Chillyjack10
09-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Lately I've been feeling so much better so I felt like I could go out and get drunk. I knew this would happen and here we are, on the verge of th first panic attack in months. Did I ruin my progress :(

I have had constant anxiety over that last two years from holding everything back and with lots going on in my life.
Had a lot of depression with it as well. Since two years ago after feeling ill after alcohol I get very bad anxiety and panic for a long time. Hardly drink at all anymore but had a binge for my 29 and There it happens again. Three weeks later iv gone back to the state I was two years ago. Brain just snapped with everything going on in my life.

Symptoms are crippling and your mind everywhere.

Iv had every medical test and scans over two years due having extreme symptoms and worrying so much. Everything normal but hard to believe.

First time I will be taking anti-depressants and I have every symptom going and head all over the place. Was getting better before the silly binge.

If suffering from anxiety and depression then don't drink. It's not worth the crap for the next weeks or longer.

Keep strong people!

u4ea
09-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Same thing happened to me - damn alcohol!

solta
09-12-2013, 05:47 PM
I have had constant anxiety over that last two years from holding everything back and with lots going on in my life.
Had a lot of depression with it as well. Since two years ago after feeling ill after alcohol I get very bad anxiety and panic for a long time. Hardly drink at all anymore but had a binge for my 29 and There it happens again. Three weeks later iv gone back to the state I was two years ago. Brain just snapped with everything going on in my life.

Symptoms are crippling and your mind everywhere.

Iv had every medical test and scans over two years due having extreme symptoms and worrying so much. Everything normal but hard to believe.

First time I will be taking anti-depressants and I have every symptom going and head all over the place. Was getting better before the silly binge.

If suffering from anxiety and depression then don't drink. It's not worth the crap for the next weeks or longer.

Keep strong people!

You're absolutely right. Anxiety and alcohol don't mix! Today is the first day when I felt mostly good so I hope its all uphill from here but you never know. Having a good night out is never worth what it might do to you later on.

solta
09-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Same thing happened to me - damn alcohol!

Indeed :/ Feeling anxious and panicky while constantly thinking if I've ruined everything for good makes you feel twice as bad. I hate it! I hope you will get better soon

Chillyjack10
09-13-2013, 04:23 AM
You're absolutely right. Anxiety and alcohol don't mix! Today is the first day when I felt mostly good so I hope its all uphill from here but you never know. Having a good night out is never worth what it might do to you later on.

It's not at all. I'm worried its alcohol withdrawal symptoms although I don't want any and haven't drunk more than a pint every two weeks for the last two years. I had one silly binge and bam the 3rd week after it iv had all ver the places feelings. Symptoms the lot. Have had tests over the last two years for a everything to come back amazing.

I stopped after a night out two years ago. Had a bit and next day in the evening I just snapped with constant being sick. And derealization. Medics came and had a heart monitor and blood pressure taken. Everything fine. Ever since iv had these very bad periods. So stopped drinking, saw a doctor who said my brain had taken enough of everything that's happened in my life. Holding in to long. Drink now just makes it worse weeks after. This year I felt everything was getting much better until one binge on my birthday and I'm back to square one.

Doctors told me I would have had to be drinking heavily daily for months or even years for things to go wrong.

I haven't. And only the odd occasion had a slight binge.

Didn't really drink till I was 22. I'm 29 now but so frightened what I'm going through is harming me. Like I said I don't drink anymore. One stupid binge and I'm back to square one.