PDA

View Full Version : How common are intrusive thoughts with Anxiety??

sweetdaytx
09-07-2013, 10:29 PM
The past two Fall Seasons I dealt with SEVERE Anxiety that had physical symptoms coupled with ocd like intrusive thoughts. (I did not have any coping or repetitive actions though, just thoughts). Scary, terrifying thoughts about harming myself, losing control, what if thoughts, etc.. this led to me not wanting to be around knives, or anything etc. my anxiety also caused depression and i couldn't enjoy anything that I usually do (baking cupcakes, going out, even shopping :/ ) the thoughts terrified me so much that I could not sleep or eat or enjoy time with my husband. My GP diagnosed it as GaD and prescribed a very low dose of Xanax and Celexa. By late March, the sun was shining down here in Texas, and I was beginning to feel more like myself and the thoughts became easier to dismiss as just thoughts.

Anyway, I don't talk about this much but here i dont feel i will be judged... here it is almost Fall again and I'm scared that I will have another bout of that hell. My husband can't really understand anxiety, although he does try but his patience wears thin. I'm hoping by sharing this here, I can find some helpful input or at least get it off my chest :/

It's sometimes hard to believe that Anxiety can cause repetitive intrusive thoughts and I get scared that maybe I really am nuts.

Thanks for listening!

Lin
09-07-2013, 11:32 PM
It is called rumination when you have these bad thoughts going round and round in your head. It is a viscious circle of thoughts which is really hard to break. The only way to do it is to put in a stop plalce in your thoughts where you bring your bad head back to your sane head - not an easy thing to do and takes practice. I have been given lots of techniques to put the stop in but the best one is to just start to concentrate on deep, slow breathing and let the bad thoughts just pass through your head. If you are really struggling, ice on the back of your neck, or ice in a bowl of water splashed on your face or a sniff of smelling salts can put a stop to the thoughts.
I have been having these thoughts for nearly three years now, and unfortunately since May have started acting on them - once you start acting on the thoughts it gets even harder to stop and make your sensible head come back.

sweetdaytx
09-08-2013, 06:40 AM
Thank you for Taking the time to respond! If I do deal with them again I will remember the ice water/smelling salt trick. I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with them at this time. What really helped me last year was finding ways to distract myself, watching something funny on tv (my favorite show is Frasier and it's always a happy funny thing to watch). I did not watch the news, or anything on tv about violence. No cop shows, horror movies, etc. ( I still don't because it will send my anxiety worrying about my family members thru the roof.)

I also continued to remind myself that thoughts are just a product of anxiety and fear. I did a lot of reading on intrusive thoughts and typically people who suffer from them are the absolute opposite of what the thoughts represent. Very kind, nurturing people, who have such fear and anxiety over the thoughts because they are so far out of their character - this would give me some peace at times.

The majority of my GAD is constantly worrying about loved ones, their health, my health, and what if. I really feel that the intrusive thoughts are tied to seasonal depression of some kind so I will be looking to prevent that this season as much as possible.

I hope you start to feel better soon :)

JustAnotherAttack
09-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I have intrusive thoughts as well. Mostly about my health and what if something is wrong and I'm being ignorant and trying to pass it off as anxiety.
I've been to the ER recently and everything was fine with my health, so I try to remember that. If doctors believe something is there then they will test for it. I told them all of the feelings I was having and they ran several tests...all of which came back normal.

The thoughts don't really ever go away. Last night I laid in bed worried I was somehow developing schizophrenia. I convinced myself that I was going through that, lol.
I'm not though. I was just having a rough night and needed something to blame for my physical and emotional symptoms.

And I get what you mean about your husband not really being on board with the anxiety idea. Mine isn't either and he thinks that if I do have those problems then I can control both physical and emotional symptoms. >.<

mandipants84
09-08-2013, 10:17 AM
My husband thinks I'm ridiculous and doesn't understand but says he's trying. If you haven't experienced it you can't know. I told mine that when I'm having an attack I wasn't my heart to stop bearing just for relief and he said"do I need to hide your gun"

sweetdaytx
09-08-2013, 10:31 AM
I've read that anxiety, although sufferers are men and women, occurs in higher numbers among women. Especially GAD.

I really believe that hormones play a part in it, especially for me. Sometimes I think my husband is so fortunate to be so...level. He doesn't have extreme emotional moments, and although has experienced loss and cancer with in his family, he doesn't constantly worry about getting it or about me getting something.

Sometimes I just WISH I could have an ounce of that peace :/

I sympathize with you ladies! I don't think our husbands intentionally get frustrated but I'm sure it can weigh on their nerves too :)

em1
09-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Yes I've ha this to and it's so scary and it made
Very I'll for quite a while so I know what your all going through,you allways question your own mind And allways think what ifs,I'm a kind and loving person to so I think it's hard when you get anything like this and so so scary to have it keep going around in your mind 24/7,no one on here will judge you but you will get so much advice and people to talk to,you will get better and thoughts are what they are just thoughts x

JustAnotherAttack
09-08-2013, 03:44 PM
I know that it frustrates my husband. He never knows what to say when I tell him that I've had panic attacks during the day. They go away when hes at home.
I guess because I feel safe. But I never let him know that I NEED him here.
I know that it would be a lot to take if he were feeling like he had to babysit me, lol.
I don't feel like he has to, but sometimes things happen to me when hes not home. Like...I'll get a very bad panic attack and think my heart is failing. I had to call him at work one day and he rushed home and took me to the hospital.
He was pretty upset when it turned out to just be a panic attack. I mean I know he was thankful that it wasn't something serious, but he thinks that people should be able to control their panic attacks and anxiety. I asked him how to do it and of course he didn't know, lol!

lee2
09-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Sweetdaytx..I have those same exact thoughts and feeling....and the same exact symptom of not eating,shopping, cooking for family...I feel like everyday I gonna go to men hospital....are u on meds...like I swear the exact thoughts symptoms as u...

lee2
09-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Oh ya I see u said your on meds...ok so how long u been on then and hoe long dud it b take them to work...and since u have taken them have u felt that way

sweetdaytx
09-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Lee2, try not to fear going to a mental hospital. I actually had fears of losing control too, and My Dr. Explained to me that people who are losing their grip on reality don't typically know or fear they are going crazy. The fact that you fear it and are constantly obsessing over it proves that it's anxiety.

I was prescribed Celexa ( i took the generic) and it helped me a great deal. Within a week I felt a bit better and within a few weeks I was better able to start thinking of positive things and I was beginning to get thru my days better!

If you can see a dr., I would encourage it because I was so full of fear and had NO IDEA that anxiety could affect me in those ways. And being able to see a doctor helped so much. Also, I don't have insurance at this time, but my prescriptions for generic were literally under $10 at costco, which is SO affordable. Other pharmacies I would have paid $75 (for generic).

Have some peace knowing that you are not crazy, and that it is anxiety. Try to think and listen to POSITIVE things. Happy television, uplifting stories, happy radio, if you are a Christian have faith in knowing that fear is not from God and their is hope for your future. If you are of another faith, pray and try to get through one day at a time.

Believe me, it will get better. I still struggle with anxiety, but there aren't intrusive thoughts, it's on a much smaller scale. But I did use medication for about 6 months and I wouldn't mind taking it again if the need is there. It helped me get through my days and start to find some healing.

Good luck to you. Don't lose hope :)

lee2
09-08-2013, 07:57 PM
I deff believe in God and have faith..when I first had this break down 4 -months ago I slept with the bible under my pillow...I was literally over taken by panic attacks abd anxiety..but eating and sleeping..and the begging l negitve thoughts...I.still convinced I.going crazy..everything u.said to

sweetdaytx
09-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Try to remember its all anxiety. Try to see a dr. I really feel that for me, medication helped get me to a better place so that my faith and prayers helped me get better.

Something that helped me feel that medication was ok was something I heard on a Christian talk radio program- the speaker was explaining that there is a verse in the bible that talks about how 'satan is like a lion preying on the weak and those separate from the herd' - anxiety makes us weak and fearful and keeps us from experiencing life and joy and worship because we would rather stay in bed or at home afraid to leave home. (Away from the herd.)

My doctor also explained to me that anxiety has physiological symptoms, and that studies have been shown that in people with anxiety, there is a part in our brain (I wish I could remember what part) that actually does not work the same as those with out anxiety. He prescribed me an SSRI to help dump serotonin when my brain needed it.

This is what I concluded: the Celexa helped me to feel better (but it did take about 4 months before I felt really good) I got stronger and felt happier and happier.

Satan wants us to stay trapped and weak and guilty. Don't let him rob your joy. You are not crazy, I really recommend trying to see a doctor or even just a counselor to help you through this time- there IS light at the end of the tunnel :)