PDA

View Full Version : School Nightmare

jdurant2
09-06-2013, 08:56 AM
I am currently enrolled in college and everytime I go to a lab or I go to a class, I feel like I am going to pass out. It causes me to not want to go to school. I am afraid to ask questions because I will sound stupid and this all leads to me being afraid of going to school because I anticipate it happening again. I know that these thoughts are irrational but I still continue to think about them all the time. I actually will have such strong anxiety that I cannot think because my mind is racing about how I look or if I even make sense. I always am trying to fight my anxiety by forcing it to turn itself off which never works out. I always tell myself before school that I am going to just relax and not worry about what others thing, yet I still have these strong numb sensations whenever I am at school. I feel my heart rate pounding all the time, where just recently I found my heart rate very low at times. I am a hypochondriac which makes me tone into my inner feelings all day. I always think about my heart, my head and other parts of the body where I have no control over. I feel myself trying to rush through everything only to find my self having to go back because I am rushing. I also believe that I am having panic attacks that last longer than the typical 20 minutes because I will sometimes feel out of my body for all of school. I really cannot learn this way. I know I have social anxiety but I also know that I need to get this problem under control. I have been to therapy but I did not feel like that helped me at all. I also may be suffering from PTSD, but I am not a doctor and cannot make that diagnosis. My other post explained a lot about what happened to cause this.

SleeplessInPA
09-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Hi Jdurant,
Have you tried another therapist?

jdurant2
09-06-2013, 09:18 AM
No I have not. My girlfriend says I need to see someone but I just don't have the money to pay for a therapist.

LittleBit
09-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Hey J- Look online at Mental Health Associations...there is assistance offered out there on a complimentary basis. Stress and anxiety can totally block learning cause I mean, man, you can't think straight let alone retain info. Take it easy on yourself, protect yourself by going to your doctor and possibly getting some anti-anxiety medication. It is working for me. If you don't have insurance, go to your health center at school. I know help can be found there. Including mental health. It has been my experience that you can't force this feeling away, you need to first learn some coping mechanisms and get to the root of the problem to retrain yourself.
You can do it.