PDA

View Full Version : Anyone?

emtw12
09-05-2013, 10:00 AM
does anyone still not think they have anxiety even tho doctor says it is? I spoke to a nice doctor today she give me loads of info on anxiety and a phone number to ring someone but still can't believe it :/ I says to her but why do I get physical symptoms all the time wen I feel calm and having a good day and she says cos anxiety is a bugger! u just need to forget about the pains which is hard lol
she thinks I'm hyperventilating hmmmm

shelley15
09-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Yep, I find it really hard to believe I have anxiety I think I have an illness which is causing my anxiety but no one listens to me.

str8trippin
09-05-2013, 01:20 PM
The only thing that helped me to alleviate my fear that something more was wrong with me than anxiety was to rule out possibilities. After having three rounds of blood work, EKG, audiology testing, neck x-rays and seeing three different doctors, two nurse practitioners, counselor, audiologist, etc. etc., and nothing abnormal showing up, I kind of had no choice but to accept the anxiety for what it was. If you've had tests done and they are normal, accept that and focus on dealing with the anxiety. If you haven't had any blood work or anything done, request it. Ruling out the physical possibilities is really reassuring. Look into counseling...a good counselor can help you get a better grasp on anxiety and how to relate to it, and why it manifests the way it does. Most doctors aren't trying to be insensitive by telling you it's just anxiety...it's not that they aren't listening...but they providing a medical perspective on something that isn't necessarily a medical (physical) problem, and there's not really a lot they can do but let you know that you are okay physically.

alfred24
09-05-2013, 01:26 PM
The only thing that helped me to alleviate my fear that something more was wrong with me than anxiety was to rule out possibilities. After having three rounds of blood work, EKG, audiology testing, neck x-rays and seeing three different doctors, two nurse practitioners, counselor, audiologist, etc. etc., and nothing abnormal showing up, I kind of had no choice but to accept the anxiety for what it was. If you've had tests done and they are normal, accept that and focus on dealing with the anxiety. If you haven't had any blood work or anything done, request it. Ruling out the physical possibilities is really reassuring. Look into counseling...a good counselor can help you get a better grasp on anxiety and how to relate to it, and why it manifests the way it does. Most doctors aren't trying to be insensitive by telling you it's just anxiety...it's not that they aren't listening...but they providing a medical perspective on something that isn't necessarily a medical (physical) problem, and there's not really a lot they can do but let you know that you are okay physically.

Same here. After many trips to the ER and getting checked I've accepted the anxiety for what It was. Now, it's not that I think I'm dying or anything. It's about not becoming too preoccupied with my thoughts until these feelings die out. Something I still have to work on. A lot better than thinking I'm dying. It is discomfort only and getting through that discomfort.