PDA

View Full Version : Cipralex/Lexapro Nausea, indigestion and Green/Black stool

Gintoki
09-05-2013, 08:45 AM
I have been using this med for 2 weeks, 5mg. I'm still getting nausea, and most annoying that whenever i eat something, i have indigestion and my food doesn't digest and makes my stomach full and feel sick. I also have been having green/black stools, and sometimes my body parts such as my hands gets hot.
I just want to know if these will ever go away? What should i do?

faultandfracture
09-05-2013, 02:16 PM
************************NOT A DOCTOR*************************

First off, which incarnation of the med are you taking? Only until recently has Escitalopram been available in generic form. I've taken and am familiar with Lexapro in 10mg, 20mg and generic Escitalopram in 10mg and 20mg, but I'm not familiar with the Cipralex version.

The reason I ask is because 5mg on Lexapro or generic Escitalopram is so low that it's almost always prescribed with the intention of increasing dosage.

Lexapro has been a favorite with docs for a while now due to its high success rate but also because it tends to be one of the better tolerated SSRI's. I had some of the same symptoms at 20mg of Lexapro. The nausea, indigestion and sick feeling were all standard for me and seem to be more common.

These symptoms went away for me after about the 7th day. Since I'm not a doctor, I can't say whether you should continue or not. But if I were you and I still had these symptoms at the 2 week mark, I would stop and go another route. 2 weeks in and at only 5mg would be my body's way of sending a message.

Gintoki
09-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Cipralex and lexapro are the same thing.
Cipralex suited me last year with no side effects at all. I tried it again june, but that time i had different side effects(gas in my stomach all the time, derealization etc) and felt horrible, so i stopped that after using one week.
This time I'm giving it another chance with great determination but I'm facing these horrible digestive disorder symptoms of nausea, indigestion and green stools. Mood wise I'm feeling great. I need reassurance..

faultandfracture
09-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Cipralex and lexapro are the same thing.
Cipralex suited me last year with no side effects at all. I tried it again june, but that time i had different side effects(gas in my stomach all the time, derealization etc) and felt horrible, so i stopped that after using one week.
This time I'm giving it another chance with great determination but I'm facing these horrible digestive disorder symptoms of nausea, indigestion and green stools. Mood wise I'm feeling great. I need reassurance..

************************NOT A DOCTOR********************

Gin,

Cipralex and Lexapro ARE the same thing, however they're sold either/or according to the country you live in. Are you from the UK, by any chance? In my neck of the woods here in the U.S., you can't get Cipralex.

The reason I asked which "incarnation" or version you were taking is due to the fact that inactive ingredients in medications differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. The inactive ingredients in Cipralex (made by H. Lundbeck, I think) might not (probably not) be the same as Lexapro (made by Forest). This can make a difference in the way your body metabolizes the two medications. Many doctors will tell you to ride it out as long as possible because the side effects sometimes go away.

Like I said in my first post, though, if you've been on this medication for what looks like almost 3 weeks now and you're still dealing with these heinous side effects, I would taper down and try something else. BUT THAT'S WHAT I WOULD DO. I'm not a doctor.

People have stopped these medications for much less. ie. trouble urinating, sleep impairment, increased appetite, etc.

Gintoki
09-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Well, i stopped the med for about a week now. But I'm still having nausea issues, especially after eating anything. I guess i will have nausea forever?