PDA

View Full Version : Habits... Good/bad

onebreathatatime
09-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Been thinking a lot about the habits I have that do since having anxiety and panic disorder. I checked my pulse constantly, jumping jacks If i have chest pain to rule out heart attack, adjust my bra if I have chest tightness/discomfort. Those are the main ones I do daily. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

antcee72
09-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Why do you do jumping jacks? Does that help with the anxiety ?

onebreathatatime
09-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Why do you do jumping jacks? Does that help with the anxiety ?

Lol I was told in therapy if you can do jumping jacks with no chest pain it's likely not a heart attack. As someone who is experiencing one couldn't do it.

antcee72
09-03-2013, 12:35 PM
That's good to know. And FYI I check my pulse all the time too and use the blood pressure machine. It's a really bad habit. :(

onebreathatatime
09-03-2013, 12:37 PM
That's good to know. And FYI I check my pulse all the time too and use the blood pressure machine. It's a really bad habit. :(

I don't use blood pressure machines lol I used too and it's never a good idea. Lol

Blessed
09-03-2013, 01:05 PM
I don't use blood pressure machines lol I used too and it's never a good idea. Lol

How do you stop checking all the time., I'd love to know :)

onebreathatatime
09-03-2013, 01:52 PM

To be honest I don't really know I just don't. I do check my pulse though and the thing is DONT check while anxious. Doing that will feed the fear and will keep the process going. If you feel you need to check either do something to keep busy till the feeling passes.

antcee72
09-03-2013, 03:07 PM

I think the best thing to do would be to throw it out...as hard as it may be!! :/

majesty
09-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Checking my pulse and racing up if I get a chest discomfort which causes my palps.

JustAnotherAttack
09-03-2013, 06:39 PM
When I start to get really anxious and get the symptoms of a panic attack I often reach for the phone...to either text my husband or call my mom.
Its a bad habit because I've spent 2 hours on the phone with my mom before without even realizing it. I've done that several times.

Lately when I feel a panic attack coming I get on this forum and read or post. I guess its better than some of the other things that I could do, lol.
I don't check my pulse or my blood pressure. Generally I just try to move on. I try to fight the feelings as hard as I can and if they won't go away then I take a nap.

I guess napping is a bad habit of mine that I'd like to break because it fuels my insomnia.