PDA

View Full Version : This is for the ladies...

SleeplessInPA
09-03-2013, 06:20 AM
I know there were a few posts about this in the past. Does anyone else notice that their anxiety/depression gets worse when you have your period?? I am getting mine this week and my anxiety feels higher than usual. Does anyone have something that helps them during this time??

carissapink
09-03-2013, 07:53 PM
YES! My anxiety is 10x worse the week before I start my period. What has helped me is to not freak out that I am feeling worse, but to be aware that it is worse because of what my body is going through at that moment and this helps to calm me down.

Dahila
09-03-2013, 08:00 PM
girls wait till menopause, the anxiety is awful with the hot flashes and fear:)

sweetdaytx
09-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Omg I can totally relate. I'm in the thick of it right now :( I have GAD so I always have a lingering feeling of gloom and doubt and worry. But the week or so (sometimes two) before my period it sky rockets. I have Very severe PMS also, so this could be a correlation.

Since you posted for ladies i have a question as well - and this is embarrassing- but I wonder of any of the ladies also feel that anxiety has ruined their libido? I'm only 26 and in my 2nd year of marriage and was diagnosed with GAD about 2 years ago and it's like my sex drive has plummeted! This makes me more anxious that my husband will ditch me for someone more fun intimately.

Anyway. . I just wish there were some natural or supplemental ways to feel better hormonal my and anxiety wise. I feel like its robbing me if joy and of life and i HATE IT. :(

SleeplessInPA
09-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Thank you for all of your responses! I am glad to hear I am not alone! Carissa, I do my best to talk myself out of it but some days are tough. Dahila, I can't imagine what it is like with menopause on top of it...oh boy! Sweetdaytx, like you, I have GAD and always have the lingering feeling of gloom/doubt/worry. It's the worst! When I get my period, it seems to get out of control! All I have wanted to do these last few days is cry. To answer your question, if my anxiety is bad the last thing I can think about is having sex! Is it all the time or just when you are anxious? Are you taking meds? I feel the same way you do, driving to work I was thinking about how I seem to find no joy in my life anymore. I am sick of feeling unhappy and anxious!

Dahila
09-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Thank you for all of your responses! I am glad to hear I am not alone! Carissa, I do my best to talk myself out of it but some days are tough. Dahila, I can't imagine what it is like with menopause on top of it...oh boy! Sweetdaytx, like you, I have GAD and always have the lingering feeling of gloom/doubt/worry. It's the worst! When I get my period, it seems to get out of control! All I have wanted to do these last few days is cry. To answer your question, if my anxiety is bad the last thing I can think about is having sex! Is it all the time or just when you are anxious? Are you taking meds? I feel the same way you do, driving to work I was thinking about how I seem to find no joy in my life anymore. I am sick of feeling unhappy and anxious!
If you are on meds like SSRI they diminish your sex drive. I would say any anxiety meds do it. Welcome to the world of GAD. It is going to be worse if you are worried about your husband leaving. You need to talk to him about it. My hubby always help me with anxiety, hugs me and tells me that everything is going to be ok. When he gets so nervious about future (we do have the reasons to be scared) I am the one to help him. U need to talk about it with your husband, He loves you and he is going to try to help you. Good luck:)) You are not going to lose anything trying to talk about it:))

mrsmischief
09-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Omg I can totally relate. I'm in the thick of it right now :( I have GAD so I always have a lingering feeling of gloom and doubt and worry. But the week or so (sometimes two) before my period it sky rockets. I have Very severe PMS also, so this could be a correlation.

Since you posted for ladies i have a question as well - and this is embarrassing- but I wonder of any of the ladies also feel that anxiety has ruined their libido? I'm only 26 and in my 2nd year of marriage and was diagnosed with GAD about 2 years ago and it's like my sex drive has plummeted! This makes me more anxious that my husband will ditch me for someone more fun intimately.

Anyway. . I just wish there were some natural or supplemental ways to feel better hormonal my and anxiety wise. I feel like its robbing me if joy and of life and i HATE IT. :(

A lot of anti anxiety meds cause the decrease in libido. Its a conversation i had with my doctor some time ago when choosing the right meds for me.

mrsmischief
09-04-2013, 11:41 PM
If you are on meds like SSRI they diminish your sex drive. I would say any anxiety meds do it. Welcome to the world of GAD. It is going to be worse if you are worried about your husband leaving. You need to talk to him about it. My hubby always help me with anxiety, hugs me and tells me that everything is going to be ok. When he gets so nervious about future (we do have the reasons to be scared) I am the one to help him. U need to talk about it with your husband, He loves you and he is going to try to help you. Good luck:)) You are not going to lose anything trying to talk about it:))

Not ALL anxiety meds decrease libido. And some of the partner meds, like you take your regular ssri but also an additional anti anxiety med, help with that. I refuse to let my anxiety interfere with that part of my life. Talk to your doctors about it. It could be as simple as adding a diff anti anxiety drug to your daily routine, or changing meds all together. But sex is such a good stress reliever, ill never compromise it.

SleeplessInPA
09-05-2013, 05:41 AM

I agree w/Dahila, you need to talk to your hubby. He loves you and I am sure he would want to know about your worries. Good luck!