PDA

View Full Version : what if you don't want to take meds, but therapist says to?

frogger
11-12-2007, 08:41 PM
I started going to a therapist a month ago. She's not a psychiatrist, but after 2 sessions said that my level of suffering is so high (i have a lot of physical symptoms - mainly constant head tension) that I should get on meds. She referred me to some psychiatrists and because I just can't take it anymore, I did make an appointment...

The thing is, I am terrified of the SSRIs and SNRIs. I have this vague feeling that my counselor doesn't understand that I don't want to take them. What should I do? Should I just see what the psychiatrist says? I've never seen a psychiatrist for meds...

Robbed
11-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Well, you already know what the psychiatrist is going to say. It has seen my experience that everyone from therapists to GPs is quite pushy about getting you on meds. In fact, the only way they could be even MORE pushy would be to stick the business end of a Smith and Wesson .357 right in your face. Basically, the psychiatrist is going to say something along the lines that you NEED medication, and it is the only way you are going to get better. The psychiatrist will also likely downplay any potential side effects. And your therapist will likely continue to push you in that direction. Regardless, nobody can actually MAKE you take meds, regardless of how threatening they might sound if you try to defy them. Oh, and don't expect much sympathy from either of these folks when it comes to your fears about meds, because you won't get it. Believe me, I know.

So what to do? First of all, a different therapist might be in order. If your current therapist is insensitive to your not wanting meds, stop seeing him/her. And let him/her KNOW that this is why you no longer want to see them. Also, keep in mind that MANY therapists push meds because of their own incompetence - they don't know what to do. So they push meds so that you might feel somewhat better and not stop seeing them because you think therapy is pointless. Find a better therapist, and see if they might better be able to help you. Granted, this can be quite hard. It is my finding that most therapists are about as useful as a wood stove on a 100 degree day. I seriously wish I didn't have to be so negative about mental health professionals. But sadly, incompetence seems to be the rule. And meds are often looked at as a quick fix to use as a cover-up for incompetence.

On the other hand, if you like your current therapist AND think that meds are a good idea for you, you could give them a try. Just be aware that meds are not a free ride out of anxiety - they have a whole slew of unpleasant side effects and might not help you nearly as much as your psychiatrist says. But regardles of what you do, DO NOT let these so-called professionals bully you into taking medication. If you DO decide to take meds, do it because it is what YOU want to do.

frogger
11-14-2007, 07:16 PM
sorry for the late reply - and thanks a lot robbed. that makes sense. i uess i'm on the same page with you. i do like my therapist. i've told her i really don't want the meds and she said - that's ok, it's your choice. but she also said that i'm so nervous right now (all the time) that I need something to take a bit of the edge off in order to start recovering. and the most pursuasive part was that you can quit and face it med-free if you really want to.

i've taken klonopin before for occasional attacks, but it's like i'm having one all the time. and i'm screwing up at my new job as a result. i think i'm going to give it a try.

Robbed
11-15-2007, 12:48 AM
and the most pursuasive part was that you can quit and face it med-free if you really want to.

Just keep one thing in mind: SSRIs/SNRIs can cause SERIOUS dependency in roughly 30% of people who take them. This is another thing that your psychiatrist won't tell you. But it IS true, and has resulted in several class action lawsuits (particularly involving Paxil). And I have seen it happen myself to people I know. In other words, if you don't like the effects of these drugs, it may not be so easy to stop. Especially since it typically takes 6-8 weeks before any positive effects can be seen - long enough to become dependent. For this reason, you really need to think about whether you need meds. The fact is that they are a crapshot - they can either help you or, well, you get the idea. This is why I don't like them and won't take them myself.

Beachgirl
01-31-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm with robbed. Join a cbt group or read some books on and start countering your thoughts in a TEA and you'll feel better.