PDA

View Full Version : Second time around with anxiety

AnxiousDad
09-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Hi all

This is my first post. I'm 29 years old, married, and have an eleven month old baby boy. I had mild anxiety in college, and with some counseling and medication, I was able to get over it. A few years ago it started to creep back and my doctor put me on zoloft. I was on it for about 2.5 years and finally decided to go off it. To be honest, I didn't think it was helping, but it appears it was. My anxiety is worse than its ever been. I am constantly worrying about my health. It typically comes as chest pain, which is scary. Over the last two years I have had two stress echos and several EKGs, as I think I'm having heart problems. As you all know, it's extremely scary and I feel helpless. All of my test results came back negative, so my doctor wants to put me on medication again. This time I was prescribed Buspar, which gave me some awful side effects (whole body sweats, confused, can't sleep). I'm going to ask her to switch me back to zoloft (she's a new doctor for me and that is why she didn't prescribe it the first time). I guess what I'm looking for is some support and guidance on how others deal with anxiety. My wife had been amazing, but she doesn't have anxiety so it's tough for me to describe what I'm feeling. I have started seeing my therapist again, which I'm hoping will help. Anyway, sorry to ramble but looking forward to interacting with folks in this forum.

Thanks all.

Anxious Dad

SleeplessInPA
09-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Welcome Anxious dad! I find therapy has helped me a lot, along with meditation and yoga. Some days it still gets out of control, and it's hard because many of my friends don't understand. I am fortunate that my mom understands, so I can talk to her.

AnxiousDad
09-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Thanks Sleepless. Glad you have someone as well. I'm going to start yoga soon at my local recreation center, but also thought about doing at home as well. I've never done meditation. Any tips on getting started?

Thanks for the quick reply. Nice to know this is an active forum.

lee2
09-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Ya, that's what I pray for is my mom:( but she's in another state..So I am alone...

lee2
09-02-2013, 07:30 PM
I can't find a good therapist either...anxious dad what helped me is the anti anxiety meds...try asking your doc for those..I mean they dont cure but it helps to hang on.