PDA

View Full Version : Panic while driving

cascadevalley
09-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Has anyone developed a fear of driving, especially on the freeway!!! I have good days and bad. This started after a stressful situation in my life that had nothing to do with driving.

raggamuffin
09-02-2013, 03:55 PM
When I was away from home on freeways/ motorways I used to get very bad chest pains and then i'd start to panic etc. These days i'm better. I'm not sure what changed. I kepot practicing reminding myself I wasn't in any danger and that I was ok. Although there are still fears that my car will break down etc which I sometimes fixate on. BUt overall I just try and stay as calm as possible. If pains occur focus on breathing, turn the radio on, or music and sing or some such. Keep reminding yoruself there is no danger and get to where you need to be.

Ed

Degenerate
09-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Ive avoided driving most of my life. But now I have to do it every day and far distances. The freeway is the hardest. If you can, try to avoid it. Driving slow and taking my time makes me relaxed. So I leave my house earlier to not need to speed. Then I breathe deeply and remind myself to just focus upon my lane and avoiding any changing cars. If I limit myself to that goal, I keep out other worries from my mind.

cascadevalley
09-02-2013, 04:06 PM
I have heard that avoiding is the worse thing you can do for it. I am hoping over time, the more I face it the easier it gets. Has it gotten easier for you?? It came on pretty all of a sudden and has come and gone and been better and worse at times.

Degenerate
09-02-2013, 04:20 PM
I meant try to avoid the freeway if there are other acceptable routes. Do drive, though.

If you're going to tackle this fear, then yes, you will need to desensitize, but make sure to have a structured plan to record your thoughts, reactions, and outcomes.

Driving has gotten better for me because I was forced to go every day. I learned to use opportunities to breathe deeply, clear my mind, and say mentally to myself "I can do it, I can do it".

I think confidence coming from repeated practice has helped me calm down, because I know I can handle things if I needed to. Remember the skills you have and how they will become more and more natural. Drive on the freeway and get off at the next exit. Then go longer. Build that confidence and faith in yourself. See how it contrasts with your fear based thoughts.

raggamuffin
09-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Avoidance behaviour only empowers anxiety though. Whilst it can feel better to avoid certain things, in reality doing them will only strengthen your resolve in time that anxiety doesn't control you and that in fact you control it.

Ed

Degenerate
09-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Avoidance behaviour only empowers anxiety though. Whilst it can feel better to avoid certain things, in reality doing them will only strengthen your resolve in time that anxiety doesn't control you and that in fact you control it.

Ed

Good point! I avoid too much, myself. Sometimes you just get tired of it all, I guess.

raggamuffin
09-02-2013, 05:30 PM
It's true, but in reality the anxiety can come anytime and anywhere. Even when yo ufeel relaxed and safe - such as in bed. I think it's situations where we feel more on edge or hyper-sensitive that we can feel overcome with anxiety. With driving you have to be alert and this can heighten anxiety and tip you over. Especially if you start worrying about all the what if's whilst driving or potential hazard etc. For instance when i drive home late at night sometimes I think what would happen if an animal ran out infront of the road etc. But these aree things that i'm sure anyone might think of for a fleeting moment. It's when you fixate on them and convince yourself it might or will happen. That's when things will start to feel worse.

You have to remain in a postiive frame of mind as best you can because anxiety feeds off fear and worry.

Ed

tmolf36
09-02-2013, 07:07 PM
I too am having issues driving. I actually just started driving again after months of fearing it. I am having a hard time driving alone. I am so fixated on having a spot to pull over cause I am afraid something is going to happen when I drive. Any advice on how to overcome this. I have 2 kids and with school starting I really need to be able to drive.

cascadevalley
09-02-2013, 08:00 PM
I had to go on Lexapro because I could barely function. The overwhelming thoughts took over. I was constantly in a worried, obsessive state. I couldn't sleep. It took over me about 2 years ago, after my son. Still have a hard time. It's only been 4 weeks of being on Lexapro. I just keep driving even though its super hard.

tmolf36
09-02-2013, 08:03 PM
My cardiologist gave me a beta blocker.

oldgraymare
09-20-2013, 12:11 PM
I just started having issues driving too. Not in town..just on highways. I retired 2 yrs ago and dont drive as much, but Im going back to work for a couple months and need to drive 50 miles a day. I count out loud and sing (badly) to myself if I feel a attack coming on. Seems to help somewhat.. I try to take routes where I can pull over if I need to. Its horrible having to do this. Now all I think about when Im driving is an attack.. I really need to get that out of my mind. I dont know what caused this to start as Ive never been in a accident and not afraid to drive.

tmolf36
09-20-2013, 12:18 PM
I too thankfully was never in an accident or had problems driving...I use to drive 140 miles a day..70 miles to and from work and now I am having a hard time going 5 miles..and I have the same issue I need to take routes that have a place for me to pull over...but I am working on this and learning that I don't need a shoulder to pull over. If I had to I can use my haz lights and slowly come to a stop. I also carry ice water with me and if I feel nervous I start sipping it slowly. The most important thing for us is to keep driving..trying not to let anxiety rule my life! If u need to talk feel free to inbox me.

oldgraymare
09-20-2013, 03:32 PM
I will definitely keep on driving. Im not going to let this beat me! I live about 10 miles from any town so I really need to keep it under control somewhat. Ice waters a good idea.. I will have to start doing that. Im basically a calm person until I get into my truck!! I think part of my problem is when I do get into my truck I get fixated on not having a attack and thats all I think about. Probably makes it worse. If someone is with me I am totally fine. Its goofy that just out of the blue it happened.

mylove9080
09-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Seriously is so annoying that now as soon as i have to go somewhere i start paniking. I have to take my mom to the doctor right now and then go pik up my husband witch is not around the corner just thinking about it my left arm started hurting. I would always drive i have been driving since i was 14 years. Until 1year ago i had a full blown panic attack while i was driving since then i dont want to drive. Right now i feel clamy my chest n my arm hurt and im really anxious
I know is anxiety but my goodness i knt help it. Im freaking out idk wt imma do.

tmolf36
09-20-2013, 05:02 PM
I am good with someone in the car too..but 5 months ago I wasn't. I don't know how it started but it is very hard to be by myself.

tmolf36
09-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Just remind urself...I am fine!! And what u feel is anxiety there is nothing wrong with you

mylove9080
09-20-2013, 05:37 PM
I try but i can i feel the symptoms still. Is very hard

mylove9080
09-20-2013, 05:38 PM
My mom dont drive so i get more panic

tmolf36
09-20-2013, 06:04 PM
I know exactly what you mean...but we have to keep telling ourselves that we are fine cause we are the only ones that can get through this...I am struggling so much I even kept my daughter home from pre k the other day cause I was scared to drive but today I drove the route and had someone follow me in another car and I did it..I felt good and I haven't felt that way in a while..I did it! Just hope I can get to the point where I don't think about it and just go where I have to go

frankzito
09-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Some days driving is fine, depends how the night goes and work day goes

student8913
09-20-2013, 09:24 PM
i use to drive at night and in big cities and it not bother me. a few times now ill be driving and panic i cant see anything or if its raining which i know is normal. also those are the few times I've actually felt like i was going to have a panic attack even though i have anxiety and just started being treated for it my day to day symptoms are more muscle tension and pain than anything.

oldgraymare
09-21-2013, 08:43 AM
I think thats part of my problem.. I think about before i even do it and get stressed. I need a distraction. Audio books and the radio help a little.

tmolf36
09-21-2013, 05:28 PM
That's me too..already thinking of how I am getting my daughter to school on Monday....how do I get past that

mylove9080
09-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Me too im already thinking bout taking my daughter to school and specially how is hard to get out since theirs a lot of cars their. I hate yhat feeling. Can u believe i didnt take my daughter yo school on friday cuz i was to scared to drive.

tmolf36
09-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Yes I believe you cause I didn't send my daughter Thursday for the same reason...but we have to put this in our head that we have to take them Monday!

oldgraymare
09-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Some of my posts are not showing up. Says they need to be approved by a moderator. Nothing bad in them so I dont know what that is. What I said in my last "unpublished" post is that I was reading another thread and someone said magnesium helps with attacks. Did a little more research on it and thought I'd try it.. Cant hurt! I have taken them only 2 days. (250mg) Today I had a 60 mile round trip to make and I did it with minimal panic! Dont know if it is actually the magnesium or the thought of it helping. Dont care! Im going to continue with them..

tmolf36
09-23-2013, 03:18 PM
That's awesome...so happy for u..I drove my daughter to school but a friend took the ride w me...I still can't get past the fear of driving alone..my therapist suggested taking a xanex?? But I am afraid to take it...hope the magnesium works for u!! :)

HelpMeDrive
09-24-2013, 08:32 AM
I am also afraid to drive and like you tmolf36 I have a child and school and I need to be able to drive to pick him up or drop him off if he misses the bus. i have been drive to and from work three times a week and have been doing alright. I just can't seem to shake this fear. Today I have to go pick my son up early and take him to the dentist and I am kind of freaking out. It's not far and I have been there a couple times in the car with others but I am so nervous to drive there and park in the garage by myself.