PDA

View Full Version : best ways to cope?

weelee21
09-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Hey, im new to these forums!

What is the best way of coping with anxiety? I wish I could switch this shitty feeling off?! Will I ever be completely panic attack free? Its so draining constantly worrying!
Tempted to start taking the meds I was given off the doc, Fluoxetine. Im nervous to take them incase they make me worse before better.

Anyone have any advice for me?

Degenerate
09-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Hi there. I wish I could tell you the best way to cope with anxiety. I've had this my entire life and have dedicated myself to so many different types of treatments and regimens, but I dont think there is any real cure.

Meditation has helped me. Limiting stimulation as much as I can.

If your life is out of control, then taking the medicine can help. I take Celexa, also an SSRI, and it has helped keep my mood stable and kept me from killing myself. I also take Ativan, an anti anxiety med, as needed.

I think the pills have probably helped me the most in my life. Besides that, using daily meditation and writing down my thoughts have helped me the most. Even still, anxiety has not gone away.

Ive noticed that life stress will play a role as well. When life is coasting relatively nicely, I may have a day of peace. Very rare though.

weelee21
09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Im thinking I might just take the meds, ive struggled for two years without anything, some days can be better than others but never completely free from feeling on edge! Just scared to take meds incase I cant come off them and depend on them.

Im a hairdresser so as you can imagine you need to be confident and even thought I am at my job anxiety attacks infront of clients is so embarresing! Its starting to put me off my job and I do truly love hairdressing with a passion.

tailspin
09-03-2013, 03:01 PM
I would definitely give the Prozac a try. Some people find that particular medication too stimulating, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't work for you (though, obviously, I hope it does help you!). I'm just wanting to make the point that most of us have to try several different medications before we find one that helps. It is definitely a trial and error process. And sometimes there are side effects when you first start a new medication. Usually these go away over time. Just wanting to give you a sense of what you might experience and to assure you that many of us have experienced the same thing - side effects etc, but I for one have found that the benefits of taking an anti-depressant outweigh any negatives. I tried for many, many, many years to cope without medication, but finally I had to start an anti-depressant. Though I still have my struggles, the AD definitely helps. And I hope it helps you too!

Also, many studies have found that the most effective treatment is anti-depressants together with therapy. Are you able to have any counseling?