PDA

View Full Version : New to anxiety but it will NOT defeat me!!!

temporaryanxiety
09-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Hello all!

I decided to wait til I turned 40 to have my first panic attack! Like most of us, I didn't realize how serious and debilitating this disorder could be until I was hit with it myself. I'm frustrated and afraid at times because of the sudden changes, but I know I will get through this. The key is to recognize what's in front of me, face it head on, and get the help I need!

Of course, I am on here for discussion and support from other members, but I'm also here to offer my support as well. This is not an easy thing we're going through here, but with perserverance, treatment, and faith (if you're so inclined), we can overcome anything! I look forward to sharing with you.

Lin
09-02-2013, 01:14 AM
Hello all!

I decided to wait til I turned 40 to have my first panic attack! Like most of us, I didn't realize how serious and debilitating this disorder could be until I was hit with it myself. I'm frustrated and afraid at times because of the sudden changes, but I know I will get through this. The key is to recognize what's in front of me, face it head on, and get the help I need!

Of course, I am on here for discussion and support from other members, but I'm also here to offer my support as well. This is not an easy thing we're going through here, but with perserverance, treatment, and faith (if you're so inclined), we can overcome anything! I look forward to sharing with you.

Panic attacks are horrible and I hope that you find some friends, help and support on the Forum - it has definitely helped me and I have made some good friends through it.
I have just learned a new technique to stop a panic attack - ice cube on the back of your neck, ice cubes in a bowl with water and splash it on your face, or sniff smelling salts. I have bought the smelling salts but have not tried them yet. I have done the ice cubes splashing on my face and it did work - it brought me immediately to the present and stopped my bad thoughts going round and round.
Deep breathing is another good way to stop an attack - just concentrate on your breath coming from your stomach and nice and slow and feel it going in and out of your nose - it stops your shallow breathing which happens when you panic - and concentrating on it makes you stop panicking.
Hope some of this helps. Lin