PDA

View Full Version : Forever on an SSRI/medication? Can I ever get off or is it a life long commitment?

faultandfracture
08-30-2013, 05:56 PM
My history is somewhat typical: Was put on 20mg Lexapro (Escitalopram) back in '04 and took it pretty steadily for 6 years. There were bouts of going off and on, but mostly on. Tapered down to 10mg at some point then went off. Realized I couldn't live with myself so I went back on 10mg and then went off again and experimented with other anti-depressants like Wellbutrin, Zoloft and Prozac - all generic through a psychiatrist. I even tried 5-HTP, an herbal supplement. I believed in the past that I could function without an anti-depressant.

I, like many, was so naive for so long. I never knew that the anxiety/panic attacks I suffered were virtually harmless and through management, diet and exercise, could be understood and controlled. Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. Being put on this medication originally (Lexapro) by a general practitioner has lead me to a myriad of research, internet forums, psychiatry and malaise that has enraged and plagued my thoughts to no end. I've since learned of the pharmaceutical kickbacks and evils of massive, faceless corporations and their assault on a so-called sick generation. All that aside, however...

To get to the point, I recently went back to my psych about my issues and re-examining the possibility of going back on an SSRI with the intention of absolving myself from it one day. He said one could eventually come off but only though a slow taper after being on for 3-4 years. Can this be done? Anyone with experience on this? I've read threads before from people who suggested that you could never return to the place you were before. It seems like after a while your brain might be able to return to 'normal' but getting to that point is the struggle. I've found myself taking adderall (Amphetamine salts) more often now just because it allays some of these issues. I only take this medication twice a week but I hope this doesn't have something to do with it.

I recently had a close friend that had to come off Pristiq due to something she said was "bowel related" and was causing distress or even parasites for some reason. This is the other side I'm afraid of. The possible renal failure and permanent damage these medications might cause.

I want off but am willing to go back on for the sake of my health. This last year has produced a new psychological dynamic that I previously hadn't wrestled with: suicide. Even if I could never go through with it, I could see myself putting myself in a precarious situation that might bring about that end.

Does anyone know through an experience or otherwise a possible solution?

tailspin
08-30-2013, 06:45 PM
As a long-term SSRI taker I think about these issues too. I've been on one SSRI or other on and off for about 15 years. Or more. I totally hear you on Big Pharma, and I know psychiatrists receive all kinds of "incentives" from these companies to prescribe their drugs. However, that said, anti-depressants do help a lot of folks. I have pretty bad anxiety, and I also have depression, so I take an anti-depressant for two reasons. These meds do help me a bit, but not as much as I would like. I have come off them before because I didn't think they were working, only to find that I'm significantly worse off without them, so I went back on them again. I definitely worry about the possilble long term side effects of these drugs that no one really knows about yet, since they are still relatively new.

I definitely know people who have come off anti-depressants and have not needed to go back on them again. So it's definitely possible. However, I have found that this tends to be the case more often for people who were depressed/anxious for a specific reason - some traumatic life experience for example. And once they had worked through that life experience - with the help of anti-depressants - they no longer had the depression or anxiety.

I don't know if I will be on an anti-depressant for the rest of my life. I hope not. But at this point I can't see myself coming off them any time soon. It is possible to come off them though, even if you've been on them for years. I know that because I've done it. I just don't know if I could stay off them or if I would eventually end up being worse off again.

Apparently the brain changes all the time (neuroplasticity) so theoretically anything is possible. This is one of the few things that gives me hope. The brain isn't static. It can and does change.

Wishing you the best!

nf1234
08-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Personally if it were me I would try to conquer it using natural methods. If you need the meds and your suffering by all means go for it but I tend to see them as bandaids instead of fixes. I have heard so many success stories from those using alternative methods and I have had much success myself. Serotonin deficiency isn't the only thing that causes depression. So if your issue is not serotonin than an SSRI will not help you much. There is an outstanding book I read that has helped me a lot. It is full of tips and advice and even self tests to see what you may be low in. There is also another book I found recently that has a summary online in a pdf form. If you want I can share the names of those with you. Here are some of my recommendations and questions.

Have you had your Vitamin D level checked? Mine was horribly low and it can be a cause for depression and anxiety in many. A simple vitamin D capsule could be your cure.
Have you had your b12 level checked? Mine was also low and giving me all kinds of strange symptoms.
I recommend getting your thyroid and iron levels checked as well.

Now im gonna list the different categories of brain neurotransmitters and some things you can take to boost them:

Serotonin: 5htp, Tryptophan, Saint Johns Wort, SAM-E, Inositol, Vitamin D
Dopamine: Tyrosine, DLPA, and free form amino acid blends
GABA: Gaba, Glycine, Taurine, Inositol, Theanine, Holy Basil, and more
Endorphins: DLPA or DPA

Besides those you should start with Magnesium. Almost all americans do not get enough magnesium and taking some can cure depression and anxiety.

I really have a wealth of information on the subject but many people don't want to hear about the alternatives. The natural way is the permanent way. I would love to share more info, reviews, and personal experiences with you if you want to hear it. Let me know if thats the case.

Good Luck

Saldav
08-30-2013, 10:38 PM
Personally if it were me I would try to conquer it using natural methods. If you need the meds and your suffering by all means go for it but I tend to see them as bandaids instead of fixes. I have heard so many success stories from those using alternative methods and I have had much success myself. Serotonin deficiency isn't the only thing that causes depression. So if your issue is not serotonin than an SSRI will not help you much. There is an outstanding book I read that has helped me a lot. It is full of tips and advice and even self tests to see what you may be low in. There is also another book I found recently that has a summary online in a pdf form. If you want I can share the names of those with you. Here are some of my recommendations and questions.

Have you had your Vitamin D level checked? Mine was horribly low and it can be a cause for depression and anxiety in many. A simple vitamin D capsule could be your cure.
Have you had your b12 level checked? Mine was also low and giving me all kinds of strange symptoms.

Now im gonna list the different categories of brain neurotransmitters and some things you can take to boost them:

Besides those you should start with Magnesium. Almost all americans do not get enough magnesium and taking some can cure depression and anxiety.

I really have a wealth of information on the subject but many people don't want to hear about the alternatives. The natural way is the permanent way. I would love to share more info, reviews, and personal experiences with you if you want to hear it. Let me know if thats the case.

Good Luck
How do l go about getting my dr. To check for all these things. I've read more than enough times about what you've mentioned above. Should I just go ahead and take these supplements. I would like to learn more so if you please could either PM me or email me at [email protected]. I would appreciate more info please.

tailspin
08-31-2013, 12:03 AM

Good Luck

Thanks for the helpful info. I'm all for the natural approach and I did have several useful sessions with a naturopathic doctor and we went over a ton of stuff and she put me on a regimen of many different supplements, including Vitamin D, magnesium and several others, as well as herbal supplements for anxiety, including Passion Flower. I continue to take all these things and I know from blood tests that I am not deficient in any vitamins, and my thyroid function is normal. With me personally, I'm at the age where a lot of hormonal stuff is happening and I know that is making my mood disorders worse. But I also take supplements for that. Oh, and I also exercise every single day and spend plenty of time outdoors in nature. And I meditate!!! I'm definitely doing a lot of the "right" things. And I do believe some of these things are helping.

Personally I'm definitely very interested in alternative medicine so thanks again for the helpful post!

nf1234
08-31-2013, 01:37 AM
The Book is called The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. You can read the amazon reviews here.

http://www.amazon.com/Mood-Cure-Emotions-Supplements-ebook/product-reviews/B000QCTPP8/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

hermitcrab
08-31-2013, 05:34 PM
I have just started reading this book also and am interested in giving this a go. However, I have tried various supplements in the the past and they usually make me feel worse e.g. spacey, irritable, upset stomach. I also worry that a lot of complimentary medicine is not evidence based, so you end up experimenting on yourself with compounds that are untested and non-stardardised in dosage. Not to mention that they tend to be very expensive. Whether it is drug or a supplement I want to know if it safe and more effective than a placebo. But I guess when we are suffering we are willing to try anything if it may help. There are some supplements suggested in this book that I haven't heard of before so I think I will try them. Thanks for the info.

nf1234
08-31-2013, 07:34 PM
I have just started reading this book also and am interested in giving this a go. However, I have tried various supplements in the the past and they usually make me feel worse e.g. spacey, irritable, upset stomach. I also worry that a lot of complimentary medicine is not evidence based, so you end up experimenting on yourself with compounds that are untested and non-stardardised in dosage. Not to mention that they tend to be very expensive. Whether it is drug or a supplement I want to know if it safe and more effective than a placebo. But I guess when we are suffering we are willing to try anything if it may help. There are some supplements suggested in this book that I haven't heard of before so I think I will try them. Thanks for the info.

Glad you are reading the book! I have had the same experience with supplements. I think we are all wired differently and what may be a lifesaver for one person may do nothing for another. As far as safety goes, do your research. But most supplements ex: vitamins, minerals, and amino acids are totally natural. These are all found in the foods we eat and are needed for good health. Supplements just have them in a more concentrated and higher dose.

faultandfracture
09-02-2013, 02:04 PM
How do l go about getting my dr. To check for all these things. I've read more than enough times about what you've mentioned above. Should I just go ahead and take these supplements. I would like to learn more so if you please could either PM me or email me at ________. I would appreciate more info please.

Sal,

Currently in the process of finding this sort of thing out for myself. I know that it helps to have a doctor that is sensitive to vitamin and mineral deficiencies but not all those doctors are accessible or even close. When I get some info I'll let you know.

nf1234
09-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Try looking up "Naturopathic Doctors". I believe there is a national site that lets you search for one in your area. They do see to be hard to find tho.

Degenerate
09-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Everyone is different, but I think you can go off of it even though you've had it so long. The initial withdraw is rough. After 7 years of being on 2 anti-depressants my insurance wouldn't cover them, so I let them run out, thinking I could handle life without them. I had the withdraw effects, but soon they went away. I was back to my old self, but the problem was I no longer could maintain a stable mood. The bad days no longer went away, and built up into depression. It sucks, but I pretty much have to stay on meds. While the meds are over-pushed, some people, like myself, truly do need them to maintain daily functionality. Give it a try, but always be aware if you are slipping into depression.

Why are you thinking about suicide, if I may ask? Be aware that if you go off the med, you might initially feel super depressed and want to commit suicide.

Ahlstrom
09-02-2013, 08:41 PM
I've been on 40mg of Lexapro and I'm slowly tapering off, I cold turkey ran out of them for a week and came out fine... Listen to your body and adjust the taper accordingly.

faultandfracture
09-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Everyone is different, but I think you can go off of it even though you've had it so long. The initial withdraw is rough. After 7 years of being on 2 anti-depressants my insurance wouldn't cover them, so I let them run out, thinking I could handle life without them. I had the withdraw effects, but soon they went away. I was back to my old self, but the problem was I no longer could maintain a stable mood. The bad days no longer went away, and built up into depression. It sucks, but I pretty much have to stay on meds. While the meds are over-pushed, some people, like myself, truly do need them to maintain daily functionality. Give it a try, but always be aware if you are slipping into depression.

Why are you thinking about suicide, if I may ask? Be aware that if you go off the med, you might initially feel super depressed and want to commit suicide.

Well, you know how it is, Degen. It's not that I'm thinking of suicide as an option, but that I'm thinking of it in the hypothetical sense. As you said above, slipping into depression alters how you think and the negative is pulled from every situation and somehow becomes the only option. I agree that the meds are sometimes a necessarily evil, though. I appreciate what you said here.