PDA

View Full Version : Dehydration and Anxiety???

JustAnotherAttack
08-30-2013, 03:21 PM
So I know that a lot of symptoms of anxiety are symptoms of other things too.
Well I had a severe panic attack a couple of months ago and went to the ER for it.
When I was there I was tested for everything. My doctor basically said yes I have super bad anxiety issues and panic attacks.
He also said I was dehydrated and that being dehydrated can cause a few symptoms that panic attacks have. :)

I don't drink a ton of water. Its bland and boring. I love Mt. Dew and Tea. These both have caffeine in them and too much caffeine also causes some side effects common with anxiety too.
I know a lot of people don't drink enough water and a lot of us might walk around with some sort of mild dehydration.
I wanted to post this just to see what others think. It does make sense. Here are a few symptoms of being dehydrated that I have experienced with anxiety attacks.

Dry, sticky mouth
Sleepiness or tiredness
Headache
Dizziness or lightheadedness

Now here are symptoms of too much caffeine

Jitters, Restlessness, and Nervousness
Increased heartbeat
Nausea
Anxiety
Heart palpitations
Insomnia
Sweating
Dizziness
Vomiting

So...am I right in assuming that part of the problem could be too much caffeine and being mildly dehydrated?
I mean just seeing the side effects of too much caffeine intake makes me cringe.
Increasing the amount of water we drink (if you don't drink enough) could be what would help.
Also limiting caffeine intake. I quit drinking coffee and feel better, but I need to cut out soda and also stop drinking so much tea. :)

sitemastercalifornia
08-30-2013, 04:46 PM
So I know that a lot of symptoms of anxiety are symptoms of other things too.
Well I had a severe panic attack a couple of months ago and went to the ER for it.
When I was there I was tested for everything. My doctor basically said yes I have super bad anxiety issues and panic attacks.
He also said I was dehydrated and that being dehydrated can cause a few symptoms that panic attacks have. :)

I don't drink a ton of water. Its bland and boring. I love Mt. Dew and Tea. These both have caffeine in them and too much caffeine also causes some side effects common with anxiety too.
I know a lot of people don't drink enough water and a lot of us might walk around with some sort of mild dehydration.
I wanted to post this just to see what others think. It does make sense. Here are a few symptoms of being dehydrated that I have experienced with anxiety attacks.

Dry, sticky mouth
Sleepiness or tiredness
Headache
Dizziness or lightheadedness

Now here are symptoms of too much caffeine

Jitters, Restlessness, and Nervousness
Increased heartbeat
Nausea
Anxiety
Heart palpitations
Insomnia
Sweating
Dizziness
Vomiting

So...am I right in assuming that part of the problem could be too much caffeine and being mildly dehydrated?
I mean just seeing the side effects of too much caffeine intake makes me cringe.
Increasing the amount of water we drink (if you don't drink enough) could be what would help.
Also limiting caffeine intake. I quit drinking coffee and feel better, but I need to cut out soda and also stop drinking so much tea. :)

I think i had the same issues, i started drinking a bunch more water, it does help a little. The problem is Caffeine also causes dehydration, i've lived on pepsi for ever, 6-9 a day, down to 3-4 now a day, trying to avoid kidney stones again too lol, had kidney stones 3x in 7 yrs

JustAnotherAttack
08-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Kidney stones have always been my main concern with drinking so much soda like I have, lol. I have had small kidney stones recently, but had a really big one that required surgery to break up. You really think I would have learned my lesson, but first thing I got out of the hospital was a mt. dew. LOL.