PDA

View Full Version : Could my GP have missed something?

sitemastercalifornia
08-30-2013, 07:45 AM
I've always had panic attacks. But the last few months i've been really really anxious. Like anxiety 24/7 dizziness. Off balance, feels weird walking. Almost like my legs tingle when i walk. My left arm feels like its a phantom arm and i dont feel it. I finally broke down and went to a doctor (haven't been in 10 yrs) She did a blood test it came back okay with nothing strange, my BP was 156/97 when she checked (but i was anxious) she gave me propranolol and zoloft. I've been taking the propranlol for 5 days and zoloft for 2. I still feel anxious except dont really feel my heart from the BP medicine. I asked her to look in my ears to see if i had an ear infection she did and said no. Am i just over worrying? Should she have done something else? Is there ANYTHING else it could be?

alankay
08-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Yeah you sound anxious, all keyed up and she could see that. They see this enough to know. Alankay

sitemastercalifornia
08-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Buts its weird i've had anxiety for ever, panic attacks in stores, and now it's like im having the worst problem trying to walk, arms feel really weak. Do you guys know exactly what a blood test would show?

Cobra
08-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Blood tests will show all kinds of problems... if they're there. doctors are not like us. They do not think catastrophically. We feel dizzy and think brain tumor! It's not normal. Normal people feel dizzy and think, oh, I feel dizzy. Most weird body sensations have no cause. They just happen. Aches, nausea, dizziness... It's all normal and everyone get them from time to time. It's just our sensitivity to body sensation and panic that make them seem so bad.

sitemastercalifornia
08-30-2013, 08:43 AM
So if it was something cancerous it should have showed up since my WBC or CBC would be off? ugh, i did feel better when i got the call but i feel like maybe i have some blockage causing my left arm to feel weak / numb / phantomish

autumnbee123
08-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Have you gotten your thyroid fully checked? Even with a thyroid blood culture it could say nothing's wrong. You gotta get an ultrasound on your thyroid. I'm gonna do that here within the next few days

sitemastercalifornia
08-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Have you gotten your thyroid fully checked? Even with a thyroid blood culture it could say nothing's wrong. You gotta get an ultrasound on your thyroid. I'm gonna do that here within the next few days

Nah, i did say that was a concern since my mom had thyroid issues, she assured me my thyroid was okay through the blood test. I could swear it is thyroid though, my basal temp = always 97.5 in the AM.

I feel like theres more wrong because i was used to panic attacks, just not at home or all the time. I will say i've been under a lot more stress lately. Maybe it really is just all anxiety. I just donno i feel so weak everywhere which isn't me, and it feels really really weird walking.

autumnbee123
08-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Yeah, that's what they told my friend too. She went into a coma for a month and they assured her before then that her thyroid was good. Then they did an ultrasound on her thyroid and it completely stopped working. All they had to do was inject her with hormones and she came out if her coma like that! She's alive and well.

autumnbee123
08-30-2013, 09:12 AM
I feel the exact same way. Literally. Weak all the time. Weird in general. Numbness alot. Plus eye issues which scares me alot!!

sitemastercalifornia
08-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Ya i know the feeling, let me know how yours goes, I wish my doc gave me my thyroid levels.. :( It just sucks

sitemastercalifornia
08-30-2013, 10:24 AM
I feel the exact same way. Literally. Weak all the time. Weird in general. Numbness alot. Plus eye issues which scares me alot!!

Hey Autumn, how did your visit go, i've been reading through your post over the past few months, and I remember the last thing I read was you finally were able to goto a doc. That is crazy how crappy they've been to you out there.

JustAnotherAttack
08-30-2013, 10:29 AM
I feel dizzy all the time too. ALL THE TIME, lol. I went to the ER about 1 1/2- 2 months ago and was fully checked out and I'm perfectly healthy.
I went in because I had a panic attack in the shower...I felt dizzy, couldn't catch my breath, really bad chest pains, and I didn't feel good in general. I had several small panic attacks leading up to that event the day prior and I kept saying that it was just anxiety.
When the big one hit the following morning I went to the ER. They ran so many tests...checked my blood and all of that stuff.
The only things wrong with me was that I was dehydrated and I had a gallstone. Other than that I was perfectly fine. No heart issues. No nothing.
Its worth it to get things checked out, but at the same time you have to trust that your doctors are right and they know what they are doing.
If anything you told them would have caused them to believe there was a major problem then they would have done additional testing and possibly kept you in the hospital if it was that concerning.
They let you go home, so I'm sure you're fine.

Anxiety causes all of these horrible feelings that we cannot often place. Most of the time we try to make ourselves feel like there is something that the doctor overlooked, but we have to trust their medical opinion and the results of the test.

Try to keep in mind that if they can get additional money from you or your insurance that they most likely will do that. They will run every test possible to be able to collect the money from it.
If they didn't do that then it was completely okay, lol.

sitemastercalifornia
08-30-2013, 11:09 AM
I feel dizzy all the time too. ALL THE TIME, lol. I went to the ER about 1 1/2- 2 months ago and was fully checked out and I'm perfectly healthy.
I went in because I had a panic attack in the shower...I felt dizzy, couldn't catch my breath, really bad chest pains, and I didn't feel good in general. I had several small panic attacks leading up to that event the day prior and I kept saying that it was just anxiety.
When the big one hit the following morning I went to the ER. They ran so many tests...checked my blood and all of that stuff.
The only things wrong with me was that I was dehydrated and I had a gallstone. Other than that I was perfectly fine. No heart issues. No nothing.
Its worth it to get things checked out, but at the same time you have to trust that your doctors are right and they know what they are doing.
If anything you told them would have caused them to believe there was a major problem then they would have done additional testing and possibly kept you in the hospital if it was that concerning.
They let you go home, so I'm sure you're fine.

Anxiety causes all of these horrible feelings that we cannot often place. Most of the time we try to make ourselves feel like there is something that the doctor overlooked, but we have to trust their medical opinion and the results of the test.

Try to keep in mind that if they can get additional money from you or your insurance that they most likely will do that. They will run every test possible to be able to collect the money from it.
If they didn't do that then it was completely okay, lol.

Did the dizziness ever go away? Think I'm just over reacting ? Its been stressful lately. it may just be all anxiety. I guess a blood test should show major thing right? Would it show if i had some heart blockage (high cholesterol?) I'm only 136lbs M about 5'11

em1
08-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Did the dizziness ever go away? Think I'm just over reacting ? Its been stressful lately. it may just be all anxiety. I guess a blood test should show major thing right? Would it show if i had some heart blockage (high cholesterol?) I'm only 136lbs M about 5'11

I feel for you I've had dizziness on and off for years and I do think its anxiety,have you your vitamin D checked? As mines
Low and so is my iron sometimes

JustAnotherAttack
08-30-2013, 11:42 AM
The dizziness has not went away for me. Its almost a constant thing. Usually I just try to ignore it, but sometimes it gets so bad that I feel like I have to sit down before I fall down, lol. :)
You seem to be healthy though. Blood tests would show high cholesterol.
If you feel that your body is lacking any vitamins/minerals then take a multivitamin and see how that helps. It may or may not help, but I'd try it. :)
Also make sure that you are drinking plenty of water too because when I went to the ER I told them I was very dizzy and they said I was dehydrated. They gave me fluids in an IV and the dizzy feeling went away.
If you already drink plenty of water then most likely its your anxiety messing with you and making you freak out over nothing.

Often times I get dizzy for no reason at all and I just wait it out.

autumnbee123
08-30-2013, 11:53 AM
My check up went alright. I mean they haven't done any extensive testing yet but they do all they can while I'm there. I'm living in a small town In Alaska so I have to get flown to the big hospital to get my MRI and ct scans done which. I'm gonna do soon

HealthAnxNut
08-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Usually, they test your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) but not your actual thyroid levels unless pushed to do so. It might be helpful to ask for them to do a T3 or T4 panel, if you suspect it could be your thyroid. Also, it cannot hurt to have them refer you to a cardiologist. I am speaking from experience that it does a lot to put your mind at ease. I also had an abdominal ultrasound done, because the various feelings in my guts were causing me to panic, and that helped as well. Honestly, if you investigate all the possible sources, it's likely you will feel a lot better. You may feel like a nut asking for testing, but it may really be worth it! Just so you know, after getting all negative/good reports, I still have bouts of anxiety, but it's not as severe as before. I usually have a little freakout in the afternoon, but can talk myself down. Hopefully this will help you!