PDA

View Full Version : Tackling the Problem Head On

dwlee
08-29-2013, 11:59 PM
I believe that I suffer from Panic Disorder.

It started about a month ago when I woke up out of no where in the midst of a panic attack. I had no idea what was happening like most of us when our first one happened, so I freaked out. The panic attacks subsided, but what I found is that I was more afraid of them happening again than anything else.

Typically, people find anxiety relief from conquering their fear and their trigger. At first, my trigger wasn't obvious. The first attack was out of the blue while I was in a deep sleep. But here recently, I think I've discovered that my trigger for the attacks is actually thinking about the attacks and recreating them in my head. I'd think about how it felt, and I would get so scared of the feeling that I actually reproduced it.

However, I've been trying this new tactic that was suggested in some of my reading. Go to your trigger and beat it.

So for the past few days, I have been going to my supposed trigger. I'm recreating the panic attacks and the symptoms in my head, and I've had some mixed results. I feel that I almost subconsciously start to panic into the symptoms, but I am able to talk myself out of it immediately. Actually, I have discovered that I can create and stop the panic attacks almost at will, which I feel is a big step forward in overcoming panic disorder.

So, I'm just curious. Has anyone else tried this pretty brutal method? I want to know your experiences and results.

dwlee
08-30-2013, 09:36 AM
UPDATE: I used this approach all night yesterday, and I swear it's done miracles. I've went straight to my trigger, and I've hit it so many times that it no longer affects me. I think about the physical and mental sensations of the panic attack, and that's what they say: thoughts. I strongly believe that this method is the most powerful out there. As I said, I've only been suffering from the disorder for a month, and I've already found comfort. My mother has been battling it for over half of her life, and I know many of you out there have been too. However, all it takes is WILLPOWER. Walk right in front of your fear, your trigger, let it do its worst. And once it's done, do it again.

This is the first day in a while where I've woken up feeling great. :D

tabs
08-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Btw, do you know that some people develop panic attacks out of blue? Even when they do not suffer from anxiety disorders they still can have those random panic attacks.

JustAnotherAttack
08-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Your method over overcoming these attacks sounds quite brutal, but it just might work for some people!
I have panic attacks for no reason at all. I've got no stresses in my life currently and so the cause of my attacks are unknown.
I've pretty much decided that it is a chemical imbalance and that I'm going to feel this way until I get on medication to help that.
I might try what you suggested...trying to induce panic attacks. The thought even puts me on edge, but maybe it'll work. :)

dwlee
08-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Your method over overcoming these attacks sounds quite brutal, but it just might work for some people!
I have panic attacks for no reason at all. I've got no stresses in my life currently and so the cause of my attacks are unknown.
I've pretty much decided that it is a chemical imbalance and that I'm going to feel this way until I get on medication to help that.
I might try what you suggested...trying to induce panic attacks. The thought even puts me on edge, but maybe it'll work. :)

I can't promise that it will cure your anxiety, but I do think that inducing panic attacks will eventually remove the fear of them. It worked for me.

But the good thing about it is that the panic attacks are the worst part of anxiety, so if you can get over them, then you're almost home free.

Cobra
08-30-2013, 04:26 PM
That's what I've come to believe. It doesn't matter what your fears are, your triggers, why or how your disorder developed, you have to learn to face and endure your panic attacks. So long as you fear them, your fear is empowering and activating the attacks. My shrink said I have to develop a fuck it attitude. Just say fuck it and get it over with.

dwlee
08-30-2013, 09:14 PM
That's what I've come to believe. It doesn't matter what your fears are, your triggers, why or how your disorder developed, you have to learn to face and endure your panic attacks. So long as you fear them, your fear is empowering and activating the attacks. My shrink said I have to develop a fuck it attitude. Just say fuck it and get it over with.

Exactly!

Stopping the panic attacks is one thing, but stopping the anxiety is another altogether. I'm still working on that part...

Part of me believes that it can't be fixed without medication because of the chemical imbalance and all that, but then I would also like to believe that I can stop it myself. I bought some Ativan from a friend just in case I need it. I'm a little confused right now...

Saldav
08-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Exactly!

Stopping the panic attacks is one thing, but stopping the anxiety is another altogether. I'm still working on that part...

Part of me believes that it can't be fixed without medication because of the chemical imbalance and all that, but then I would also like to believe that I can stop it myself. I bought some Ativan from a friend just in case I need it. I'm a little confused right now...
What are you confused about?

Cobra
08-30-2013, 10:23 PM
I'm not so sure about chemical imbalance. We are what we think. The brain physically changes over time in response to our thoughts. It's called neural plasticity. It's how we learn to play the piano or memorize our phone number. The brain lays down tracks, and the more you use that track, the better it works. And the faster it works. Basically, we've taught our brain to panic because we worry about something too much. For me, one stray thought about heart attacks, tachycardia or eating and that track activates my panic center, the amigdala, shooting adrenaline into my bloodstream. The reason it takes so long to forget how to panic is because we have to physically change those neural pathways by learning how not to be afraid. You got to put down some new tracks. You have to break those worry habits that keep the panic pathways primed and make new ones that are soothing thought habits, confident thought habits, self affirming thought habits.