PDA

View Full Version : Panicking

mkgirl01
08-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Went to the doctor today .... I wanted an MRI but he wouldn't give me one now I'm nervous that something is gonna be missed.........

str8trippin
08-26-2013, 11:48 AM
I'd venture to say that they would have ordered one if there was a real concern that something was wrong. As hard as it is (telling myself this too, here), we sometimes have to trust that the professionals actually do know what they are doing...that is why we go to them after all. The instances of something major being missed are probably pretty low. At this point, I've had blood work done three times (Thyroid Panel twice, Adrenal Function, Lipid Panel, Comprehensive Metabolic Panel, Complete Blood Count, and testing for HSV1 and 2 because of a scare from and ex that sent me into a total panic), audiology testing (due to dizziness and symptoms with my head and ears), EKG (because of chest and arm pain), neck x-rays (because of tension headaches), and a women's health exam...every single thing is completely normal...and all of it has been completed by two different nurse practitioners, three different doctors, an audiologist and x-ray technicians...certainly if there was reason to think something was wrong one of them would have noticed by now...that or I would have had some other more serious symptoms or been dead already. I have to remind myself of that, and of the cycle of thinking anxiety can send us into. We desperately want reassurance from a professional that we are okay, and when we get it, we second guess them and want more reassurance. Most medical practitioners wouldn't just tell you that nothing is wrong if that wasn't the case. Try to stay focused on the positive!

JustAnotherAttack
08-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Doctors would not hesitate to hit your insurance or your wallet to squeeze a test out of you. If your doctor felt like an MRI wasnt needed then you should feel safe and comforted knowing that he really feels that way.
Trust me...doctors don't hesitate to perform every test on you that they possibly can if they can hit your insurance or charge you for it.
That itself should bring you relief. :)