PDA

View Full Version : Are There Any Nurses Here?

Allie27
08-25-2013, 02:20 AM
I'm leaning toward becoming a RN but worrying if that would be the best career for someone with SA.

Is anyone on here a RN or thinking about/currently going to college for nursing?

Is being a RN really hard to do with social anxiety? I'm fine with asking the patient if they need anything/getting things for them/taking care of them but I was just wondering if anyone here could tell me what it's like?

newgirl1234
08-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Hi there! I've been a nurse for 5 years.(trauma-neuro-stroke.) It may sound strange but when I am at work and really busy my anxiety towards social situations is much less. Of course there are days where I have a hard time and certain patients and families that make it worse, but With time i have learned to cope w it! i LOVE being a nurse! u will too! With that said... If u want to be a nurse ... Then don't hesitate! It is truly an amazing career! & will help u grow as a person!
And just think.... If you are feeling anxiety ... So is your patient. And it's your turn to help someone in there time of need'. Good luck!

jloca215
08-26-2013, 10:57 AM
I've been an RN for five years and I have panic disorder and health anxiety. I can honestly say going through nursing school was the best experience for me. I have always been curious about the human body and disease processes so I did very well. I also loved the fact that it kept me busy and kept my mind off of being anxious. I made great friends and we all helped each other get through new experiences. Now I find my job stressful at times, I'm a medsurg/telemetry nurse at a busy hospital which is usually short staffed! But it is very rewarding that I can help people who have some of the same fears and anxieties I do. And it does feel good to know you've touched somebody's life. I must warn though, my health anxiety has gotten worse due to the fact that I know too much now about the human body. I tend to bring a lot of what I see at work home with me, and that's where it can get tricky. You have to leave your job at the door and vice versa. Overall however, being a nurse has been my biggest accomplishment to date so I say go for it and good luck!

Allie27
08-27-2013, 02:43 AM
Did you go to college for nursing online? Because i'm trying to see which one would be better... i think i'd feel more comfortable with going to college for nursing online and then maybe interning/shadowing for the experience, but also weighing the pro's and con's of going to a regular college or online...

Thank you for replying to my post by the way!! It made me feel a lot more confident in becoming a nurse!

jloca215
08-27-2013, 03:05 AM
No I went full time to class. It's impossible to go online for RN because you need clinical experience. For my bsn I went online

Allie27
08-27-2013, 04:05 AM
Could you please answer one more question for me?

So I need to go an actual college to get my AD, and then I could go online for my BSN... what does RN/BSN mean in relation to a college (is that the next degree?). How/why would getting my Master's/Doctor's benefit me? Or would you recommend just getting a BSN and then working at a hospital as a nurse?

Sorry for all of the questions! My parents aren't any help at all...