PDA

View Full Version : Things YoU DID do that you thought you couldn't do!

Bridgie
10-16-2005, 06:57 PM
So, we all take little steps everyday that seem like really big steps that are anxiety-ridden. So this goes along with my post "What would you like to do but feel you can't".

I know Brickyard is on a trip right now with her husband, and she was really nervous about it. Hopefully all went well and she had a good time!

So what did you do today that you were proud of yourself for doing?

My stepdaughter and stepson stayed over last night. I got up this morning and had breakfast with them without feeling too anxious, and not having to take a benzo. My older (94-years) neighbor came over and I was okay. Tomorrow I have to go help him on his computer. EEK!

shoe
10-18-2005, 07:50 AM
Bridgie, great idea for a thread :)

Hmm.. I wish I could say I had something I'm proud of doing today or yesterday.. but nothing comes to mind. I am however proud of doing things a couple months ago.. does that count? hehe

I went to a social anxiety meeting in NYC in August! and.. talked to a cute girl at a restaurant there.. hmm.. I wish I had more to offer but lately I've become somewhat of a hermit and especially with schoolwork I'm keeping myself busy at home and stuff. I need to get out more.

I guess I could say that going to work and dealing with people everyday is something to be proud of despite my SA.. but I'm coming up empty on anything significant i've done lately

Bridgie
10-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Shoe! That's great you went to NY for the meeting! AND talked to a cute girl! :wink:

And going to work everyday is something to be really proud of. I don't think I could muster up that much courage.

scatmantom
10-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Well my job involves providing IT support in about 9 schools...so everyday at work is differnt, with differnt people and in new places...but even tho its differnt I feel OK as I am used to it. But doing the same things socially e.g. going to new places and meeting new people constantly, I wouldnt be able to cope like I have done with my job!

Does that make any sense?

Vikki
10-18-2005, 04:06 PM
Today :

I told my boss the rest of the story about my anxiety problem.

I went to the grocery store and got everything on the list.

I raked leaves in the front yard. ( I haven't bagged them yet )

starlaced_soul
10-18-2005, 10:19 PM
this really is a great topic and a healthy step for everyone to get closer to their goals.... i would love to go to my 13-year old Autistic brother's last football game of the season... i think it's an away game. i haven't made it to any of his games yet and feel just awful! i am so very proud of him! but today i went to the gas station which was quite a large task for me! :D

brickyard_red
10-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Today I made myself get outside and wash our car without Bill being home. :D

My trip went pretty good, and I only had two major panic attacks while gone. :D That is a major step forward for me. hehehe

Cath :)

P.S. I agree with everyone else, great idea for a topic!! Your so creative and logical. :wink:

Bridgie
10-19-2005, 01:58 PM
CATH! YOU WENT OUTSIDE AND WASHED YOUR CAR? WOW! I am so impressed, I know what a major step that is for you! WOW! Congratulations, now go pull some weeds, he hehehe!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

brickyard_red
10-19-2005, 02:14 PM

I left the front door open so I could skeedaddle back in the house of the need should arise. lol And I pulled the car REAL close to the garage so I didn't have to go out all that far, but I did. :D

Don't know about the weeds though. Those are clear out front and down by the road. Everyone on the street can see there just by looking out their windows and you never know who is going to walk down the road or drive down. One of these days when Bill is home and has time to go outside with me, then those pesky weeds will be in trouble! :twisted: hehehehe

Cath :)

duddits
10-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Well I don't know of anything im proud of that I did yesterday, but I'll elude to previous months. I actually started going to the movies, and going to dinner without freaking out (well not as bad) as I usually do with my social anxiety. :)

babycristy
10-29-2005, 09:51 PM
Well, I am proud to say that I forced myself to eat breakfast (and actually sit down inthe table) at Einstein bagels with about 60 people in there at once. (its hurricane time over here and this was the only place open, it was eat or not...so I chose to suck it up and eat :lol: ) My poor boyfriend had to wait the long line while I waited in the table. But he understands that waiting a line is just toooo much for me to do, and eating out was a big ordeal for me anyways.

Oh yea, I am also proud to say that at work today I was able to confront multiple groups of people without having a major panic attack or walking away. What helped me alot was a breathing exercise (in through your nose and out through your mouth) It is supposed to regulate your breathing and help you gain composure through any stressful time.

scatmantom
10-30-2005, 06:02 AM
well i have just had a week off work...and I managed to go out with my friends for a night out...it was good....to start off with i was pretty anxious as it was a place id never been before...but after a few drinks i was really enjoying it. Then i drove down to london for 4 hours (YAWN) and spent some time down there wit hmy family...and i was totally fine with everything. I found when i was younger i used to force myself to go thru with things that made me nervous but lately i have noticed I dont do "new" things anymore...so i am going to make a point of going thru with things even if they are likely to trigger my anxiety. After doing it a few times it will feel "safe" to me and I wont ever have a problem with it again....(I HOPE!!!!!!)

Bridgie
11-13-2005, 01:43 PM
That's great for all of you, all huge accomplishments! I'm so proud of you all, and I know you are proud of yourselves.

Yesterday I went to an open house with my neighbors who might bid on the house. At one point I felt "trapped" because I was there with them and a bunch of other people, and had to wait for them to get a ride home. Ahhh! No escape! I was taking digital pics, and my battery ran out. So another lady gave me a piece of paper and said, write down your e-mail, I'll e-mail them to you. Eeek, that put me into panic mode. I can't muster up the nerve to write something down in front of another person. I just told her, no, I don't need them. I was just taking pics for my husband to see. Which is basically the truth. But to be frozen paralyzed in fear for a minute is just awful!

I almost just got up and walked home at one point, which would have been over a mile up the mountain. But I stook it out, and made it! And was very proud of myself for even going.

I can easily go out to a restaurant or what have you if I drink some alcohol first. But I DO NOT recommend this remedy for anyone. Then you get into the trap of needing a drink to relieve your anxiety everytime you go somewhere. It happens to me all the time, and I know it's not healthy.

I have my benzos, which I take very sparingly, because for some stupid reason I think the Dr. will not prescribe them to me anymore, and take away my blankie (you know that paranoid feeling.) I do not take them very often, but they are the best remedy I have found so far. I take maybe one a week, and do not have any problems with addiction or anything, or side effects, or feeling loopy. They just totally take the edge off. And they really do work. See, the benzos are actually an anti-seizure medication, not a SSRI. I think they work much better for anxiety than the SSRIs. The bottle even says take 1 to 2 tablets 3 times a day for anxiety. I am not anywhere close to that, yet I still feel parnoid he won't renew my prescript, for some reason. Then I would be lost. So I carefully plan out when I will need to take them. I wish I could take one per day, but don't want to get into any problems with addiction.

I think repeated exposure to the things that may cause you anxiety is the best cure of all. For me, it is the anxiety leading up to the event that gets me most anxious, but then once I am there, I am okay, because my mind is not focused on the anxiety anymore, it's on the activity or company.

Sorry this was so long LOL!

scatmantom
11-15-2005, 02:07 PM
I think repeated exposure to the things that may cause you anxiety is the best cure of all. For me, it is the anxiety leading up to the event that gets me most anxious, but then once I am there, I am okay, because my mind is not focused on the anxiety anymore, it's on the activity or company.

TOTALLY AGREE. I am exactly the same, its the build up. My advice, try to relax, get a relaxation tape and chill...but if u cant chill.. then try to keep busy, read a book, come on the forum and read that, jsut do something to take ur thoughts off the event. I try to do that and for many things that works!