PDA

View Full Version : Coming off Citalopram

ptica
08-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Hi everyone!

I have just joined.

I have suffered from anxiety for a long time and only saw a doctor for it last year when I became very unwell during the summer and considered taking my own life on quite a few occasions. I wasn't sleeping, couldn't leave the house and couldn't see myself surviving like that for much longer. I finally saw my doctor who first prescribed Amitriptyline to help me sleep then Citalopram. I was fortunate to not experience any side effects from the Citalopram and I felt a huge difference after around a month. I have barely had any bouts of insomnia since (except for the occasional night here or there where I can't sleep) and I feel I can cope much more with things that would have caused me to become really depressed and anxious before. I'd say I'm almost feeling back to normal.

I've been to see my doctor this morning about something non mental health related and he asked about my anxiety and whether I think now is a good time to start coming off anti depressants or not. A few months ago I stupidly stopped taking my pills thinking everything would be ok if I stopped "cold turkey". After a few days I was shaking, feeling nauseous, light headed, dizzy and very moody. I hadn't spoken to my doctor about stopping but went to see him after realising just stopping wasn't working and I was feeling ill. I've carried on taking them since but I worry that when I do stop I will feel the kind of symptoms again and they weren't pleasant. I know my doctor would get me to stop gradually but I do worry about what will happen and whether the anxiety will come back as it was last summer. I guess I won't know unless I try though, I can't be on medication forever.

So, this is what brings me here. Is anyone able to tell me what your experiences were stopping Citalopram (or any SSRI I guess). I know everyone is different but I'd be interested to hear what your experiences are.

Thank you :)

acetone
08-21-2013, 07:49 AM
When I stopped my zoloft my symptoms returned. This would mean that zoloft only masked the symptoms it did not cure the problem.

ptica
08-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Yep, I worry about that. I haven't been able to figure out a reason for my anxiety (other than I think it stems from alcoholic parents who were neglectful a lot of the time) and I worry that there's something deeper going on and medication is just temporarily helping but the anxiety will come back when I stop taking ADs. That's my biggest worry (and was a worry when I first started taking them but I was desperate and needed something to help during that time). I guess all I can do is start to come off them and see what happens afterwards.

chewie90
09-23-2013, 11:25 PM
I stopped celexa after 2 days. I took 10mgs the first and 5mgs the next then nothing after just to week myself off. The nausea was so unbearable I haven't eaten in a few days. Me and ginger ale are really closer than ever. I'm on my second day not taking it and the nausea is letting up but not gone. I'm gona take vitamins to help with the nervous system and brain. I've never delt this bad in my life, not even when I had the flu I didn't feel this bad. Hope everything works for you

chuckie99c
09-27-2013, 10:37 PM
I have stopped twice "cold turkey". I always do it with a weekend coming up and know its going to be a rough time.

Both times I took the medication for over a year and it was extremely hard but I'm so glad I did it. People commented (who didn't know I was in it) how they thought the "old me" was back !

Good luck this time.