PDA

View Full Version : Amitriptyline

whongvj
08-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Does anyone taking amitriptyline here? I noticed that I am having a pounding heart beat that I can't sleep at night because I hear my heart pounding hard.. Does anyone experienced the same thing?

acetone
08-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Did you just started it? Side effects of antidepressants subside over time. What dose are you on? I'm also taking it.

whongvj
08-17-2013, 06:50 PM
My doctor prescribed it for my insomia and anxiety.. I am taking 50mg every night, I on my third week I think. How long have you been taking it?

acetone
08-17-2013, 06:58 PM
My doctor prescribed it for my insomia and anxiety.. I am taking 50mg every night, I on my third week I think. How long have you been taking it?

Yes I see your problem now. This medicine is nasty with its many side effects. I can barely tolerate 25 mg. Even on 25 mg I get at least 3 to 4 nightmares every night. I have restarted it after the pills ran out and it has been 4 to 5 days. I am only taking 12.5 mg for now.

whongvj
08-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks! I will try to cut my tablet in a half tonight to make it 25mg, do u think I can do that without my doctor's approval? I going to call my doctor first thing Monday morning.. I just don't want to take another 50mg tonight, my pounding heart beat makes me scared..

acetone
08-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks! I will try to cut my tablet in a half tonight to make it 25mg, do u think I can do that without my doctor's approval? I going to call my doctor first thing Monday morning.. I just don't want to take another 50mg tonight, my pounding heart beat makes me scared..

Yes I see no problem with that. You can also try a beta blocker to slow down your heart rate to take >25 mg doses.

whongvj
08-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Is amitriptyline working good on you? Do u also have problem sleeping? It was prescribed to me because I had insomia which causing my anxiety.. I will definitely ask my doctor pn Monday if I can have lower dose..thanks!

acetone
08-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Is amitriptyline working good on you? Do u also have problem sleeping? It was prescribed to me because I had insomia which causing my anxiety.. I will definitely ask my doctor pn Monday if I can have lower dose..thanks!

It works for my insomnia but it also causes very vivid dreams and nasty nightmares during night. It also works for my migraines. I am not taking it in large doses as I can't handle the side effects so I can't comment about its anti anxiety and antidepressant effects.

whongvj
08-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks! I will definitely lower the dose tonight and will tell my doctor in Monday.it used to help with my insomia too but I also get vivid dreams during my first week, now I get pounding heart beat that's keeping me awake..