PDA

View Full Version : Going to doctor underage

Jugz
08-15-2013, 11:21 PM
I live in FL and am 16. My normal doctor I go to through my parents I hate, he doesn't do anything for me but they insist I go to him. (Normal doctor, only see him when I get physicals)

If I pay cash, can I go to a doctor of my choice?
What is he likely to do?
Would he be allowed to prescribe me anything, if I can even fill one without a parent? (my current doc won't even consider..)

I have a friend who USE to have issues who recommended an "O.D".
My parents can not be notified if I am going. I don't even want them to know I have any sort of condition, as they don't really believe anxiety is a real issue. I'm not very close with them, so it's not like I'd break anyone's heart getting private treatment..

I have severe anxiety issues when in public, and have panic attacks very often, even the simplest things, often out of no-where when I'm not even feeling very down.... I have had several severe ones at school and it drives me crazy a bunch of kids saw me do.. that.

Much of my family are alcoholics and I constantly can not sleep worrying for them all the time..A lot of the times I do fall asleep, I have horrid vivid dreams of a few traumatic memories I have (which includes being shot) rarely think about this happening(unless I'm having one of these terrible dreams again, of course.), it's just like a recurring dream. It's not the only I have, but most of my dreams (nearly nightly) are night terrors, I sometimes even wake up with a racing heartbeat (not too often, though)

The same incident sometimes the causes me to have a very severe attack when I am outside and hear something even closely resembling a 'bang',

I've spent numerous hours trying terrible online methods, that usually just wright "just dont have anxiety" out in a long, drawn-out step by step method.

School is starting for me soon and ever since I first started having these attacks my 8th grade year, I went from having an A-B average to barely passing. I get very stressed in school specifically, when I'm in class all I can seem to do is worry about something irelevant. I want to get my depression/anxiety at-least temporarily helped so I have atleast some chance of saving my GPA.

Jugz
08-16-2013, 08:48 AM
-bump, still need info..

defmunel
08-16-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm pretty sure you would have to have a legal guardian with you even if you paid cash.

Jugz
08-16-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm pretty sure you would have to have a legal guardian with you even if you paid cash.

What law restricts me from doing so?

defmunel
08-16-2013, 11:01 AM
It's on most paperwork. At least in the US it is. Not sure about anywhere else.

defmunel
08-16-2013, 11:01 AM
But i can't guarantee or help you with legal matters. I'd suggest calling a dr office and finding out what their policy is.

Jugz
08-16-2013, 11:11 AM
But i can't guarantee or help you with legal matters. I'd suggest calling a dr office and finding out what their policy is.

I'm mostly trying to find out all the legal aspects of it. If it's legal I'm sure its a total different process/different paperwork.

defmunel
08-16-2013, 11:14 AM
No, I'm saying the initial paperwork, health history etc has a place for you to sign, and for a legal guardian to sign IF the patient is under 18. This is a legal signature that means there is an adult responsible for your care, and pay any copays/balances for the account. You cannot sign the document since you are not 18. I'm not sure any doctors office is going to see you without the paper signed.

Jugz
08-16-2013, 11:26 AM
No, I'm saying the initial paperwork, health history etc has a place for you to sign, and for a legal guardian to sign IF the patient is under 18. This is a legal signature that means there is an adult responsible for your care, and pay any copays/balances for the account. You cannot sign the document since you are not 18. I'm not sure any doctors office is going to see you without the paper signed.

I don't think you understand the question.

The question is can I legally consent to a doctors visit? and If not what law is restricting me from doing so?
If it is legal, I guarantee you i'll find a doctor who will allow it.
I doubt I wouldn't be able to find an OD who would see me for anxiety if it were legal in a state you can get 90 Roxi 30s for a papercut..

str8trippin
08-16-2013, 11:33 AM
I don't know if this would help but it's an idea anyway...I think defmunel is right about not being able to get an appointment without a parent or guardian signature on your paperwork, but what about contacting a crisis hotline and talking to someone? That you can do without a parent's knowledge, and they are created for these kinds of issues (anxiety, depression, etc. etc.) and they might have suggestions! Both of these sites have a ton of different hotlines listed...there's even one called TeenLink.

http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Anxiety/forum/13357323-crisis-and-hotlines

http://www.teenhealthandwellness.com/static/hotlines

Jugz
08-16-2013, 11:55 AM
I don't know if this would help but it's an idea anyway...I think defmunel is right about not being able to get an appointment without a parent or guardian signature on your paperwork, but what about contacting a crisis hotline and talking to someone? That you can do without a parent's knowledge, and they are created for these kinds of issues (anxiety, depression, etc. etc.) and they might have suggestions! Both of these sites have a ton of different hotlines listed...there's even one called TeenLink.

-

-

I've tried all that crap. I hate hotlines. And this isn't a crisis. It's been happening for years...

Since no one knows if it is legal, can anyone suggest where I could find out if it were legal? I found tons of info on other states but little information about Florida, especially with all the pill mill drama..

alankay
08-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Some links,
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/a/l/alr332/research1.html

http://www.floridabar.org/divcom/jn/jnjournal01.nsf/Author/AFC19001FFAE74FC852570E70055D33A

http://www.enotes.com/healthcare-reference/treatment-minors

Really a pdoc should rx meds for those under 18. But a Family doc can. This is secondary as it seems unless an emergency/pregnacy/STD you need consent but as mentioned above, call the doc offices as they will know the "real world" laws/grey areas as how it effects treatment of minors whose parents will not allow or are in denial about an real issue a minor may be having. In effect if you are truly having anxiety that's more than normal and you parents are not allowing you to see a doc, they may be neglecting you.... or legally similar. It might be that if a doc felt this he could just talk to the parents and "enlighten" them. I bet that's what would work out if you visted a doc on an emergency basis.
Near Tampa by chance? Alankay

Jugz
08-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Some links,
-

-

-

Really a pdoc should rx meds for those under 18. But a Family doc can. This is secondary as it seems unless an emergency/pregnacy/STD you need consent but as mentioned above, call the doc offices as they will know the "real world" laws/grey areas as how it effects treatment of minors whose parents will not allow or are in denial about an real issue a minor may be having. In effect if you are truly having anxiety that's more than normal and you parents are not allowing you to see a doc, they may be neglecting you.... or legally similar. It might be that if a doc felt this he could just talk to the parents and "enlighten" them. I bet that's what would work out if you visted a doc on an emergency basis.
Near Tampa by chance? Alankay

Yes, actually I am close to Tampa. I live about 45 minuets away (i lived in west tampa until I was 15) My normal doctor works at a huge outpatient center..
I was planning on going to a family doctor.

Does it have to be an 'emergency'
I don't consider anxiety or panic attacks an emergency, since my physical health isn't at immediate risk..

Jugz
08-17-2013, 04:53 PM
-bump, still need info..

Jugz
08-18-2013, 02:06 PM
-still need info.

Jugz
08-19-2013, 07:58 PM
-bump, still need info. going to probably call a few family docs and ask soon..

Can I go to any MD about anxiety/depression?

alankay
08-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Yes he can help with with anxiety. If you are in a lot of distress it might be close enough of an emergency. Call and ask about it they should know how to proceed. Just be truthful with him/her. By any doc i mean a Family doc or pediatrician as they see folks up to 18. Alankay

Jugz
08-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Yes he can help with with anxiety. If you are in a lot of distress it might be close enough of an emergency. Call and ask about it they should know how to proceed. Just be truthful with him/her. By any doc i mean a Family doc or pediatrician as they see folks up to 18. Alankay

Ok I'm going to call some local ones and see what to do.

I have no problem being truthful with the doctor, especially since most docs around here are just pill-pushers anyway..