PDA

View Full Version : Anxious while Driving

onebreathatatime
08-15-2013, 08:06 PM
So I recently have just got my full license, bought a car and now out driving. I was really excited to get my license for the fact that I am free to do what I want when I want. The thing is with my anxiety, I start to think scary thoughts.... what if I forget to break, what if I don't see someone walking across the street, when I feel "off" I get worried I will pass out (which I never have)etc.. It freaks me right out.. I believe I am pretty cautious when driving, but for some reason I am second guessing myself. I also feel I am so tense while driving that my body aches once out of the car moving around, I can't stand the seat belt across my chest, I also shake really bad once I get where I am going- as though I just had an adrenaline rush and I also feel like I am not breathing properly as I am anticipating something terrible happening - so I am constantly bracing myself. Anyone else have issues while driving and what do you do to ease it?

downsouth
08-15-2013, 09:05 PM
I seem to get the majority of anxiety while I drive. I have and always do breathing exercises inhale for 2 secs. exhale through mouth for 4 secs. Remind yourself that its an irrational fear. recognize your trippin, do the breathing and acknowledge (its just anxiety). let it happen , and laugh at it later at how silly it was.

tmolf36
08-15-2013, 09:16 PM
I have the same problem. I am having anxiety and panic attacks driving. I feel that I am going to pass out. I can't help but put those thoughts in my head. I have 2 young children and not driving is becoming a big problem. How do I get past this?

downsouth
08-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Here is what I have read. The body will not self distruct ie. pass out, heart attack. The mind only wants to protect its host us.
Figure why an I stressing about driving? Why am I scared? Is it a realistic fear! So what that theres idiots on the same road Im on. Im a good driver and my vehicle is up to parr.

acetone
08-15-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm completely anxiety free during driving a two wheeler. I love driving.