PDA

View Full Version : Totally fed up with my leg now :(

lalouba_jane
08-11-2013, 10:11 AM
So it just keeps getting worse. For those of you that didn't read my other post, it's been going on for ten months now and has gradually just gotten worse, more so in the last month. It's getting to the stage now where I can't sit comfortably at all as literally seconds after I sit down I get a burning ache behind my knee that sometimes travels to my lower back thigh and my upper calf. Sometimes I even feel it in my heel but not so often.

I've been taking several vitamins (including vitamin D and magnesium as separate supplements) for a couple of days now and haven't noticed any improvement in my pain. My anxiety feels slightly reduced but that burning ache is starting to really get to me.

I remember once reading an article about a woman who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer after her only symptom being pain down the leg on that side, and now thats all that I can think about. Supposedly it was because there was a tumour pressing on her sciatic nerve on that side.

I was originally scared of a DVT but the doc said it's been going on too long to be that and says I don't have any of the classic signs.

I had quite a nasty fall in June of last year where I fainted and fell face first into the concrete, breaking and dislocation my shoulder. I'm trying to reassure myself that this is the cause and that I may have ruptured/herniated a disc which would cause this pain. I don't have any obvious back pain, it's literally just the leg and my hip at times that bother me.

Could me falling forward have caused a herniated disc? I was out cold so fell with 100% of my weight.

Any ideas? Or has anybody else had anything similar?

It doesn't hurt at all to walk on it, it's literally just when I'm either sitting or laying on my side and comes on within minutes. It feels worse when my knee is bent and is a sort of deep, burning sensation. I also get quite a few muscle twitches in my thigh on that same leg if I've been sat down a while.

I'm being referred to a physio but God knows how long it will take to get an appointment as it'll be in the NHS.

Does this sound familiar or does anyone have any insight or guesses into what this might be?

laurentellez
08-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Sciatic nerve it sounds like to me... ? Have u been pregnant lately?? Excuse the question just curious.. I have had a lot of pains in my back and legs.. feels like nerve pain.. mine are stabbing, deep pains that's come and go.. sometimes feel like a electric shock..

laurentellez
08-11-2013, 10:28 AM
So it just keeps getting worse. For those of you that didn't read my other post, it's been going on for ten months now and has gradually just gotten worse, more so in the last month. It's getting to the stage now where I can't sit comfortably at all as literally seconds after I sit down I get a burning ache behind my knee that sometimes travels to my lower back thigh and my upper calf. Sometimes I even feel it in my heel but not so often.

I've been taking several vitamins (including vitamin D and magnesium as separate supplements) for a couple of days now and haven't noticed any improvement in my pain. My anxiety feels slightly reduced but that burning ache is starting to really get to me.

I remember once reading an article about a woman who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer after her only symptom being pain down the leg on that side, and now thats all that I can think about. Supposedly it was because there was a tumour pressing on her sciatic nerve on that side.

I was originally scared of a DVT but the doc said it's been going on too long to be that and says I don't have any of the classic signs.

I had quite a nasty fall in June of last year where I fainted and fell face first into the concrete, breaking and dislocation my shoulder. I'm trying to reassure myself that this is the cause and that I may have ruptured/herniated a disc which would cause this pain. I don't have any obvious back pain, it's literally just the leg and my hip at times that bother me.

Could me falling forward have caused a herniated disc? I was out cold so fell with 100% of my weight.

Any ideas? Or has anybody else had anything similar?

It doesn't hurt at all to walk on it, it's literally just when I'm either sitting or laying on my side and comes on within minutes. It feels worse when my knee is bent and is a sort of deep, burning sensation. I also get quite a few muscle twitches in my thigh on that same leg if I've been sat down a while.

I'm being referred to a physio but God knows how long it will take to get an appointment as it'll be in the NHS.

Does this sound familiar or does anyone have any insight or guesses into what this might be?

I am also very scared of Ovarian Cancer: /

lalouba_jane
08-11-2013, 11:32 AM
I think the worst thing is there's no regular screening for it like with cervical cancer and it has so few symptoms if any :(

laurentellez
08-11-2013, 11:36 AM
I've been reading all morning now. Can't get my mind off of it.. it seems like I have a lot of symptoms, gas, indigestion, abdominal pain.. omg

lalouba_jane
08-11-2013, 11:56 AM
I've been reading all morning now. Can't get my mind off of it.. it seems like I have a lot of symptoms, gas, indigestion, abdominal pain.. omg

Awful, isn't it? I have a whole heap of digestive issues but I've had them for years so I tend to just ignore them now!

laurentellez
08-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Awful, isn't it? I have a whole heap of digestive issues but I've had them for years so I tend to just ignore them now!

Idk but I just had a baby 10months ago and they did all kinds of ultrasounds.. about 30 cause I was high risk.. for blood pressure... I'm pretty sure they would have seen something. ..
Still can't convince myself

lalouba_jane
08-11-2013, 12:37 PM
I think the reason it causes us so much anxiety is because it's out of our control. Because it has no symptoms in most cases until the later stages we can't even reassure ourselves and that makes us panic even more! Bit of a vicious cycle really!

laurentellez
08-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Yes all we can do is stay strong and positive. .. and let this feeling pass

lalouba_jane
08-11-2013, 01:05 PM
And to answer your question, I had my daughter 2 years ago now and I carry her on that same hip, so maybe it has something to do with that and the pregnancy. I had terrible SPD in the third trimester and my hips were in constant agony so I wonder if that has contributed?

raggamuffin
08-11-2013, 02:02 PM
How much time do you invest in thinking about the pain?

When scans come back negative for our pains and symptoms we often convince ourselves "No they must have missed something, i'm ill, I know it". But what do we know? We know that we're in pain and we know that Dr's with 5+ medical knowledge under their belts using modern techniques and scans to check our body have said "There's nothing wrong here". I know we like to think we know our bodies best, but in reality when you feel anxious we are not in a rational thinking frame of mind. In fact the longer you spend worrying and fretting and googling symptoms you wind up become far flung from logical thinking and reality.

We wind up in a bubble whereby we wake up - feel a pain - panic - pain gets worse - fear gets worse.

Round and round like a hellish merrigoround we go. THing is - in all the time you've had this symptom are there times when you're fully engaged in something and the symptom just disappears? THe problem is - the longer you experience a symptom the more you fixate on it. But what i'm sure you've learned is that fearing, fighting, crying or getting angered by a symptom only serves to make it embed itself at the forefront of your mind and often makes the pains feel worse.

Given that the tests come back negative (which 99% of the time they do) it's at this point you need to read about and accept that anxiety is causing these pains. Simply put, with enough fear and worry your body will make you ache or hurt in pretty much any area it wants and if you then add secondary fears and worries onto an already stressed out body the aches will last longer, feel worse, or spread to other places.

By accepting that anxiety is causing this you start to lessen the fear and worry. This is what anxiety feeds off. But if you respond to a symptom without any emotion whatsoever and get on with your day then the pains will lessen and usually disappear.

When it's a pain that's long lasting it can seem impossible to accept it's anxiety. But, much like with anxiety your mind has simply become entrenched in a method of thinking. It can be undone, it just takes time. First step is to let the pains come and go and remain apathetic to it. Realize after this length of time it can't harm you any more than it does at the moment. It's nothing sinister or an illness that remains undiscovered.

Anxiety has as much power as we allow it to have. Therefore if you accept it is what it is the pains will go a lot quicker. I know it's tough, it took me 2.5 years before it finally clicked and I realized I wasn't going to die from these pains and it wasn't cancer or a heart condition. It's just anxiety.

I hope you feel better soon, just remember, don't focus on the bad. Keep focusing on the good and live your life for yourself and not in the shadow of your anxiety.

Ed

mistiblue
08-11-2013, 05:23 PM
It sounds like back issues to me. I always have pains in my legs and have lots of back issues.