PDA

View Full Version : A Second Opinion

raggamuffin
08-08-2013, 05:46 AM
Some people may have read the Epididymitis issues i've had the past 5 months. 5 lots of antibiotics. Dr visits, pains coming and going and always returning after the antibiotics are over.

Recently noticed swelling at the tail of the Epididymis t the base of the affected testicle. it got me worried as it feels very swollen. Visited a Dr I had in the past at the local hospitals sexual health clinic. I've been there before and even though the tests came back negative for an STD I feel they're a good place to go about the Epididymitis.

He examined me, put me on the strongest course fo antibiotics to date. He put my gf on some too and said this should've bee done from the off as it could be what's causing it to re-occur.

He examined me, felt it, asked if it hurt. I said no, he looked concerned. The mroe he felt around it started to hurt a bit so I told him. He gave me the antibiotics and said return in 2 weeks.

Now i'm just worried. Mainly about testicluar cancer. I know, it's no doubt anxiety having a field day, but i'm wondering if I should go to A&E and see an actual urologist.

Thing is, this Dr at the sexual health clinic is a consultant. He's obviously examined hundreds if not thousands of patients and i'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

So why the doubt? Well I know it's making my anxiety have a field day but for some reason I don't feel convinced.

I know if I went to A&E not only would I see a Urologist but i'd probably have a blood test to check my cell count and also a scan if needs be. These additional checks seem to be what i'm yearning for.

I managed to prevent myself from ringing my GP today to book an appointment with them but i'm itching to just go to the hospital to visit A&E.

The visit with the Dr is Friday 16th. It's a long time to wait and i'm slightly concerned the anxiety symptoms will get worse. Obviously fearing the future won't help but I just wonder why he's asking to see me again in 2 weeks. But then I think to myself "this is silly, all the Dr's there wanted to see me after I finsihed the antibiotics"

I even remember in the past during this 5 months episode feeling a swelling around the epididymis and several Dr's checked and said it's normal. But at the moment it feels more inflammed. Thing is I can't rightly remember how swollen it felt in the past. Going through symptoms every day kinda makes it hard to recall what a symptom was a few days ago let alone months back.

Any thoughts? Should I hold off? Should I go for peace of mind? I don't want to be wasting the Dr's time with unecessary checks and yet my mind won't let it go thinking about the worst case scenarios.

Ed

bonehead
08-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Are there any reasons not to go?

I've had epididymitis several times over the years and mine sounds exactly like what you are experiencing, minus the fact that your seems to not want to go away. Perhaps it's a small varicocele?

My vote would be for you making the appointment.

raggamuffin
08-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Ya i'll certainly attend the next visit with the consultant. As for the A&E visit. Well when I see the Dr next week afetr the 2 weeks of strong antibiotics i'll be totally honest and tell him my worries about cancer and ask him if I could have any further checks if necessary. Failing that I could always go to my local Dr's tell them my worries and ask for a blood test i'm sure that'd give me peace of mind.

The reasons to not go to A&E is because of teh lenght of time it'll take,possibly wasting the Dr's time. not believing the consultant who is obviously adept in this field of medicine and succumbing to my paranoia and anxiety.

Being 100% rational about the situation I should finish the course of antibiotics, wait till the 16th and see the Consultant.

Ed